Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 08:18 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times

Advertisements

I don't see the appeal either. Same goes for Ben Affleck. Not attractive either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 03:31 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,566,714 times
He is cast for the box office draw, first and foremost. But he selects what he will lend his name to, from an acting and directing standpoint, based on the story. When he finds a story that allows him to work in his range and be believable, which he always is, he chooses that project.

I would never audition or read for the role of a mid-30's male role that was too far from my own personality. You would be able to see right through it. I try to find roles that at least have some of some kernal of me in them. I do not become the character, the character becomes me. That character must have some want or objective that I can relate to or identify with.

Clooney does a great job, and I think he has shown some range before. O Brother is one example. Another was in the Tarantino film Dusk Til Dawn he did 15 years or so ago about vampires.

Great respect and props to him and his craft.

Last edited by ashpelham; 02-13-2014 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: spelling and name of film

Old 02-13-2014, 03:34 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,566,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
Huh. When I think Syriana, I mostly remember Matt Damon and the suicide bomber, and all those cryptic political meetings. I really don't even remember Clooney in it. Don't remember him in Three Kings either - I should see that again, it's been a long time.

I enjoyed him in Up in the Air, which I don't think has been mentioned yet.
In Syriana, that suffering he did while tied to that chair looked pretty dang real to me.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:44 PM

643 posts, read 917,498 times
He was great in Up in the Air. I mean he was essentially playing himself. But he was super believable in that role.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:58 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,864,172 times
OP, I agree. Hollywood is built on nepotism and image. His aunt, Rosemary Clooney, was a big name in her day. According to IMDB, her grandfather won mayoral election three times. I never watched George in ER and I tend to avoid anything he's in for the reasons you stated. He doesn't act. He just plays himself over and over. I've never understood his appeal, but I don't usually "get" most of the hype around many Hollywood actors/actresses.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:00 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
He has been doing this head down to one side thing since that Dr. show on TV. Drives me a little nuts.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:35 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,276,554 times
I don't focus on their personal lives and know very little about celebrities outside a few of them, I just watch the movies. I just watched "the descendants" and thought he did a good job in it and enjoyed the movie.

People latch onto celebrity gossip and a couple of news snippets of things they are caught saying and let themselves get all judgmental or upset... really I don't care. Not everybody is wired to be well adjusted and friendly every day of their lives. People do have bad days... if I had people following me around all the time watching everything I did I'd be a little cranky sometimes.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:52 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I completely agree. I don't get it.

And the same could be said of the following (bad) actors:

1. Julia Roberts
2.Keanu Reeves
3.Sandra Bullock
4.Jennifer Aniston
5.Nicolas Cage

I'm sure the list could go on and on!
I also agree. Love to look George Clooney, and I really liked him in ER, but he has become the same guy in every movie I've seen him in. And since the absolutely pathetic The Descendants (almost unanimously hailed as a great movie by critics, and won several awards- WTH?), I've lost most of my respect for him.

Like your list, picklejuice. If I may, I'll add:

6. Harrison Ford (since the Indiana Jones series): he's not a bad actor, but has become very formulaic
7. Bruce Willis
8. Demi Moore (need I say more?)
9. Jason Statham (can't understand a word the guy says, but apparently he's English)
10. Hugh Grant
11. Vince Vaughn
12. Kristen Stewart

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 04-05-2014 at 09:19 PM..

Old 04-05-2014, 09:05 PM

1,136 posts, read 941,703 times
Speaking of major actors who are the same in every movie: Russell Crowe, Denzel Washington, and Brad Pitt.

Russell Crowe loves to do the "mutter in a low voice" thing in every movie. Good examples of this are Gladiator and A Beautiful Mind.

Denzel Washington's characters are basically all like Training Day, where he plays cocky, street-wise guys who always have one-liners ready. And that was a great movie and I liked his character in it, but when you start seeing that character in every single movie then it gets old.

Brad Pitt is like a cooler version of Keanu Reeves. Take a look at his character in Moneyball and that's his schtick in every movie. He's the guy who is "so cool, it hurts," particularly in his later roles where he's always this totally cool dad who relates to his kids and is a super-awesome parent.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:07 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
Speaking of major actors who are the same in every movie: Russell Crowe, Denzel Washington, and Brad Pitt.

Russell Crowe loves to do the "mutter in a low voice" thing in every movie. Good examples of this are Gladiator and A Beautiful Mind.

Denzel Washington's characters are basically all like Training Day, where he plays cocky, street-wise guys who always have one-liners ready. And that was a great movie and I liked his character in it, but when you start seeing that character in every single movie then it gets old.

Brad Pitt is like a cooler version of Keanu Reeves. Take a look at his character in Moneyball and that's his schtick in every movie. He's the guy who is "so cool, it hurts," particularly in his later roles where he's always this totally cool dad who relates to his kids and is a super-awesome parent.

I couldn't have said it better. Totally agree with all of the above. Used to like Denzel, but I get a weird feeling about him; I don't think he's a nice person to "regular people," and I have a hunch he's headed down a negative path, maybe a divorce. I don't like him as much as I used to. He's edgy/uncomfortable to watch in interviews these days, like he's about to explode. But these are great actors. They do have distinct, individual styles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies