Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 07:26 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
1.The Thing (From the 80's film)
That's a great one (in both films).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 04:43 PM

Alien

Old 03-29-2014, 08:54 PM

8,319 posts, read 13,447,487 times
The thread is about villains in a horror movie and you guys listing movies like The Thing and Alien?
Wow, I am a bit baffled. I thought we were discussing iconic bad guys/girls in known horror, scary or not but an invisible creature or some alien creature form a sci-fi as a horror villain? Hmmm..

Mark S. you said Pinhead wasn't scary and I don't disagree, he was more diabolical and creepy than scary but the above entries seemed even more ridiculous in that sense!

The only horror movie villain that truly scared me was the evil girl in The Ring, that dreadful "coming out of the TV scene" at the end!

Old 03-30-2014, 08:44 AM

372 posts, read 1,043,060 times
1. Count Dracula
2. Mr. Hyde
3. Imhotep - The Mummy
4. Erik - The Phantom of the Opera
5. Dr. Frankenstein - sometimes portrayed as evil, sometimes just naïve, depending on the movie.

Two of my personal favorites that won't make any list.

1. Dr. Phibes
2. Carmilla - from Hammer's Karnstein trilogy (particularly the Ingrid Pitt version).

Old 03-30-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
The thread is about villains in a horror movie and you guys listing movies like The Thing and Alien?
Wow, I am a bit baffled. I thought we were discussing iconic bad guys/girls in known horror, scary or not but an invisible creature or some alien creature form a sci-fi as a horror villain? Hmmm..
Maybe we should ask the OP what he/she specifically meant.
The Thing, Alien and others would count if we go by Collins American Dictionary - #3 "someone or something
regarded as the cause of a problem, difficulty, injustice, etc..

Collins American Dictionary | Always Free Online

and horror:

Horror - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Old 04-01-2014, 01:54 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,076 times
Horror Movie Icons

* Michael Myers
* Jason Voorhees
* Freddy Krueger
* Chucky
* Scream
* Leatherface
* Candyman
* Hannibal Lector

Old 04-01-2014, 02:03 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Hmmm, villains. Well Michael Myers would be my first but I actually kinda like him, the original Halloween is my favorite horror movie of all time. The grandmother in Flowers in the Attic was a hideous beast. I'll have to think about this one.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:57 AM

11 posts, read 9,302 times
Norman Bates

Old 04-02-2014, 08:33 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
The Thing and Alien both definitely have science fiction trappings, but they are both still considered horror movies. Alien is basically a haunted house movie, where the haunted house is a spaceship and the ghost is an alien. But all the usual tropes still apply. Same with The Thing. The Thing isn't all that different from Grendel in Beowulf.

Quote:
Mark S. you said Pinhead wasn't scary and I don't disagree, he was more diabolical and creepy than scary but the above entries seemed even more ridiculous in that sense!
To each his own, certainly.

But for me, for a movie to be scary or engaging in any way, it has to have at least some plausibility to it. I never bought Hellraiser's schtick. I found the whole thing more silly and stupid than scary. And really boring for long stretches. Granted, I haven't seen it since I was about 16, but even then, I failed to see the appeal.

What little I have tried to read, all of Clive Barker's stuff is just too far "out there" for me to get into.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:54 AM

658 posts, read 847,757 times
The killer in Midnight Meat Train
Freddy Krueger
Tobin Bell in Saw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies