Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 12:38 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times

Advertisements

Base price has not been an issue here. I have no problem paying 10 bucks to see a movie, but I am single. Going with any wife, kids I might ever have and then having to spend 30 bucks on popcorns and soda... yeah that would probably limit my moviegoing... I already have a 60 inch flat screen and home theater system... I'd just get another one for the kids and it would pay for itself eventually.

I prefer to go in the afternoons, so crowds are no issue, just like I prefer my days off of work to be during the week, when most people are not doing things, which saves in hotel room prices on vacations and the like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 10:35 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
Oh how I miss the days when movies cost $2 (yes new releases) and popcorn was $.50 for a small bag (one size only) and $.50 for a small drink (one size only).

Old 04-07-2014, 03:33 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
We probably go to the theater to see movies maybe 2 or 3 times a yr, if that.

It's ridiculously over-priced and don't get me started on the just the popcorn prices alone....

We have a big screen tv at home, and can sit back and be comfortable and pop in a DVD or stream something on our schedule....

Old 04-09-2014, 10:29 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
I go to the movies almost every Tuesday here in & around Los Angeles, and always for matinees which as others have stated are always cheaper ($4.50 @ Cinemark to $6.00 @ Regal Theatres to $8.00 @ an AMC multiplex), and with a lot less folks who are extremely selfish and pathetically addicted to pulling out their smartphones for no remotely intelligent reason, because the only lights I wish to see in a movie theatre are the house lights and the emergency exit signs.

I rarely see movies in 3D, and the only three such films I've seen in the past 2 1/2 years were Frozen, Gravity & Hugo, although I might do the same for Rio 2 which opens this weekend, since that $9.50 admission price for seniors is reasonable IMHO.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
I have only seen a few movies in 3-D. Meet The Robinsons, Up, Toy Story & Toy Story 2 (2009 re-release), Alice In Wonderland, Toy Story 3, Tron Legacy, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, The Lion King (2011 re-release), Beauty & the Beast (2012 re-release), Thor, The Avengers, Thor: The Dark World. After seeing Pirates in standard, I have been rent don't buy on 3-D, particularly with the up-charge. D-Box I've only had once (due to issues with seeing Tron Legacy) and it is a total waste.

I think lowering the prices is a good idea. You can only milk student IDs for so long and what if you cannot make matinees or all-day matinees due to your work schedule? Then you add in the price for food and JESUS, it's almost as much as going to a sports event. The one good thing was for Thor: The Dark World, my brother and I saw the marathon so we got the re-fillable soda and popcorn so after four sodas and three popcorns, it kind of paid for itself to get the re-fillable size.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:17 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I just wait for on demand. Theatre is way too $$$$

Old 04-20-2014, 08:55 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
That would be great as I like going out to the movies and it is simply unaffordable to do it very often these days.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:17 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
I enjoy going to the movies - at least for special-effects blockbusters which IMHO are simply better on a big screen with a stellar sound system. Most movie theaters around here do $5 tickets all day and night on Tuesdays, which seems very reasonable.

We typically avoid going in the opening week. Once the crowds have thinned, it's pleasant. Last Tuesday went to see Noah and besides myself and three friends, there were only four other people in the whole place for a 6:45 pm showing.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:57 AM

658 posts, read 847,842 times
I am already paying reduced prices for movies. Most of the time, I wait until the excitement has diminished then I check out the movies at a discounted theatre, which also has discounted concessions.

If a movie is coming out, say Resident Evil, then I go see it at the regular theatre during the matinee.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:47 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
I am already paying reduced prices for movies. Most of the time, I wait until the excitement has diminished then I check out the movies at a discounted theatre, which also has discounted concessions.

If a movie is coming out, say Resident Evil, then I go see it at the regular theatre during the matinee.
We don't have any of those theaters where we live. I think our local theater occasionally has weird budget priced times like Wednesday morning.

I enjoy seeing movies in theaters but ticket prices definitely impact how often we'll go. If we are considering seeing a movie as a family and buying 4 tickets......yeah the prices definitely influence us then...to the extent movies in the theater are usually a few times a year type thing.

This isn't a factor now as we have a theater that is close. But the last place I lived in one by one all of the theaters closed until there was only one mega type theater that was far away......that played a part in how often I'd see a movie at the theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies