Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 09:43 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,596 times

Advertisements

Not horror, but the first time I saw SE7EN it really creeped me out. I've seen it again since along with some background interviews about how they created certain scenes so it doesn't creep me out now, but the whole story line is pretty awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 01:49 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
The Ring.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:21 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,756 times
I too, enjoy horror suspense without all the gore. I've seen The Shining, Exorcist, Omen, and many others which scared me when I was younger, not so much now.

However, recently I saw The Conjuring with my teenage children and that gave me a spook or two, ha, I won't watch it alone in the dark, lol.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:25 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I have to say, I think Exorcist is overrated. I have no idea why people find it frightening. Anyway, when I saw the first Nightmare on Elm Street I had to sleep with the light on. The Ring & The Grudge also did it for me.
I think it depends on when you saw it. If you saw it when it first came out, there weren't a lot of horror films with great special effects and makeup at that time, so it was rather shocking. If you saw it fairly recently, the shock value isn't there, because now special effects and makeup are so well done and so common.

When the Exorcist first came out, it was a big deal. There were lines formed down the street and around the block from the theater. It was pretty disturbing to me at the time, and definitely gave me the creeps. A few years ago I watched it again on tv and it was kind of blah. There's been too many good horror flicks since then and I suppose I'm just numb to it all by now.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:57 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I think it depends on when you saw it. If you saw it when it first came out, there weren't a lot of horror films with great special effects and makeup at that time, so it was rather shocking. If you saw it fairly recently, the shock value isn't there, because now special effects and makeup are so well done and so common.

When the Exorcist first came out, it was a big deal. There were lines formed down the street and around the block from the theater. It was pretty disturbing to me at the time, and definitely gave me the creeps. A few years ago I watched it again on tv and it was kind of blah. There's been too many good horror flicks since then and I suppose I'm just numb to it all by now.

same as JAWS which seems pretty tame now

but back then,,people stopped swimming in the ocean

the exorcist, by far, was the scariest movie - again,,,it was back then,,,but no way would parents allow their kids to watch this movie..

one of my all time favs was the first poltergeist- the clown under the bed, and the tree grabbing the kid...

the first Halloween movie was scary

as kids on tv we liked ....kolshak the night stalker

night gallery with rod serling,,

ghost story and circle of fear,,,these were scary!!

Old 07-01-2014, 02:37 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,847,565 times
Yeah,I forgot Poltergeist...that was another good one.I think the old anthology series were actually much scarier than most horror movies. Boris Karloff's Thriller, had quite a few episodes that really made me lose sleep,but I was also 8-10 yrs. old when I saw them.

Night Gallery, One Step Beyond,Chiller,Kolchak:The Night Stalker,and of course Twilight Zone,plus Alfred Hitchcock Presents were also great series. Tales From The Crypt was a good modern day one and so was~ Are You Afraid of the Dark?

One show that terrified my kids,and I feel so guilty for that because I watched it on TV while they were in the room playing. I was so engrossed that I didn't even notice that they were watching it too,and that was Trilogy of Terror with Karen Black[1975] and the third story about the African tribal doll that comes to life and terrorizes a woman in her apartment was the one that scared the bee-jeebers out of them! My two girls[7 and 6] shared a room and fought each night for a long time... over whose turn it was to turn out the bedroom light!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 07-01-2014 at 02:46 AM..

Old 07-01-2014, 03:35 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,940 times
Yes, "Ghost Story" and "Trilogy of Terror" were very good for their time (and still stand up well, I think). Karen Black was also great in "The Strange Possession of Mrs. Oliver." She was a good actor, as was George C. Scott in "The Changeling." Those were more about psychological terror, which to me is more chilling than slasher or "we're going to a cabin to have fun but get killed in the woods" sort of "form" movies.

I think what goes for really "scary" can depend on your generation. When "The Exorcist" first came out, the reactions of theater-goers made the NEWS:

The Exorcist | Audience Reactions - YouTube

Old 07-01-2014, 07:13 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,847,565 times
I was in my twenties when I saw both The Exorcist and Rosemary's Baby,but I just didn't find Exorcist at all frightening because it was too~"over the top",but Rosemary's Baby really creeped me out.

Another one that I loved the premise to,and found chilling was Wes Craven's Chiller,but unfortunately it is the absolute worst quality transfer to DVD that I have ever viewed,grainy picture and almost inaudible sound.

Chiller (TV Movie 1985) - IMDb

Old 07-05-2014, 12:40 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
I remember seeing "When a Stranger Calls", I believe the '79 version when I was a kid. It creeped me out because I thought someone was going to hurt me from inside the house...lol silly but true.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:27 PM

172 posts, read 274,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I love suspense and horror films (the latter without too much gore, especially if it seems gratuitous). A lot of people say, "I won't be able to sleep after this," or "That movie kept me up at night," or "I'll have to sleep with the light on," etc.

Other than "The Exorcist," which I've seen probably three times in my life and each time felt profoundly disturbed, as in "Stop watching this; some things are just too evil and I can't take it" and since age 11 when I saw "Jaws" in the theater and was literally afraid to get in the bathtub for months afterward, nothing has scared me to the extent that I couldn't sleep. (Maybe "Jaws," now that I think about it -- I wouldn't even go near the ocean for years and am still uncomfortable being around large bodies of water.)

Which horror movies have affected you like this, if any?
Yes, certain movies I have no intention of ever watching again because they're too scary.
The Exorcist
Phantasm
Evil Dead (original)
Faces of Death
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies