Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 06:41 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,307,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Lots of reasons.

A) Everything sucks these days. Creativity is completely dead...which is why they are piling odd unneeded sequels in the first place instead of searching through scripts to find the next great original trilogy.

B) The series itself is so dumbed down and commercialized from the first 2-3 (return of the Jedi was hybrid...still had original series quality but with fighting teddy bears) that we can't expect anything aimed at adults, or even particularly bright children.

C) The last three were the product of a man who, in his old age, seems to have grown cynical, insular, overly political, and fond of drinking his own bath water. I understand that he is not going to be so involved in these, but really, I think we all remember that sinking feeling that we had the first time we watched episode I, and it just kept getting worse, and worse.

Jar-Jar Binks...that odd Pedophilia between Anikin and the Princess...the force is a bacteria...boring as hell Ben-Hur rip-off chariot race...a Jedi who says things like "I didn't come here to free slaves,"... more politics than any given three hours of C-Span...Samuel Jackson tragically miscast as a mother f------ Jedi Knight....a fight no one cared about between robots and frogs....a horribly miscast Anikin (what, Haley Joel Osmunt was unavailable?)....truly awful film on every level.

I honestly hate George Lucas as this point, a man who I once regarded as something like a saint or a prophet.
BRAVO!! Well said and AMEN to that! Star Wars - A New Hope was and always will be my favorite, while Empire was probably the best all around film of the bunch. Jedi was just ok, and the three prequel movies were all terrible. Absolutley terrible. Terrible characters, terrible scripts, terrible acting, and way too much questionable quality CGI made me feel like I was watching a cartoon most of the time - and not just because of Jar Jar.

As for the new one, well, lets just say that I've got a bad feeling about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 08:25 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post

I honestly hate George Lucas as this point, a man who I once regarded as something like a saint or a prophet.
Have you ever seen the South Park episode where they make fun of Lucas and Spielberg for what they did to Indiana Jones with 'The Crystal Skulls' ? It pretty much explains how everyone feels about Lucas now. Pretty darn funny.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:37 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,121,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
Have you ever seen the South Park episode where they make fun of Lucas and Spielberg for what they did to Indiana Jones with 'The Crystal Skulls' ? It pretty much explains how everyone feels about Lucas now. Pretty darn funny.
No but I loved the Simpsons where they go to see the episode with "Jim Jam Bong."

"Me-sa Use-a money buys-a space hemp."

Or the one where Lenny and Karl are having a light saber fight (with radioactive rods from the power plant) over whether episode 1 or episode 2 is worse.

Will try to find the South Park episode.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:46 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
1) These franchises have always felt different and I don't like the idea of one director crossing-over. I just don't think its possible for there not to be bleed-over that will muddy the water between the two.
2) I didn't really like the last Star Trek movies that much. Didn't hate them but the CGI, yes there was too much of it and I don't know if its HD or CGI or what but everyone in the last one had the same pinky pink colored lips, it was very distracting and I couldn't keep looking and it was sort of yuck.
3) I hope Harrison's character is supposed to be the same age as Harrison himself, these famous old geezers that keep taking roles playing younger characters sort of ruin it, they take me out of the movie. (Enders Game)

Old 07-23-2014, 05:00 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Great post cachibatches.

There's just too much high expectation. Like the saying goes, you can't go home again and Star Wars has already touched most of us in a way that just can't be repeated or rehashed or redone in a way that it appears new and fresh. I have seen the original trilogy, at least a dozen times start to finish. But even in that, there are parts I did not like or could skip over or could find fault with now that I am older. (Family Guy parodies are excellent) I think I have only seen the second trilogy twice.

We are all more cynical and more critical, sci-fi fans in particular, so this Jar Jar Abrams guy doesn't stand a chance.

P.S. The nerds are already on him mistaking a future X-Wing for an old Z-95 Headhunter. Why would an old fighter be showcased in a future trilogy?

Old 07-25-2014, 09:53 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
Episode VII is getting all this hype that it's going to be the return to the old movies in terms of quality and story telling. They got JJ Abrams, all the old mummies from the original trilogy including Harrison "Hobble" Ford.

I think it's going to be better than 1-3, but a far step below 3-6.

Because 1-3 sucked.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:18 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
Episode VII is getting all this hype that it's going to be the return to the old movies in terms of quality and story telling. They got JJ Abrams, all the old mummies from the original trilogy including Harrison "Hobble" Ford.

I think it's going to be better than 1-3, but a far step below 3-6.
After seeing this leaked footage, I suspect the franchise has taken a turn for the worst:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snph22qSUMU

BTW, no word on whether Lucas has been collaborating with Spielberg on this.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:13 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,409,523 times
I also loved MI: Ghost Protocol, but though Abrams produced, it was the directing by Brad Bird that made the film. It was Bird's, of "The Incredibles/Iron Giant" fame, first stint at doing live action, supposedly Cruise sought out Bird and asked him to direct, desiring that Bird's animated action sequences be translated over to live action.

I had no intention of seeing MI:GP until I found out Bird did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies