Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 09:01 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,207,090 times

Advertisements

Could never grasp the public's fascination with her. Sure she was gorgeous but so were many others. She played ditzy roles mostly but there were better actresses at ditz than Marilyn. But she was pretty good in "Niagara" (1953) in a serious role. Maybe she should have focused more on serious parts. She was rated "superb" in "The Misfits" although I think that superb is stretching it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 01:51 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,187,480 times
Since her death, people are still interested in her and many try to imitate her looks. She may have
been in some silly movies but she was serious about being a good actress.
Some of her better films (just my opinion) were;
Niagra
Don't Bother to Knock (thriller)
Bus Stop
We're Not Married
Monkey Business
Seven Year Itch (my favorite - making the film is a whole story on it's own)

Her biography
Legend Marilyn Monroe Biography

Old 07-14-2014, 09:00 AM

22,844 posts, read 28,088,563 times
Monroe is a lot like James Dean. Definitely talented and an icon of her era, but her untimely death made people remember her more fondly than her work warranted. Had Monroe and Dean lived for another 30 years, I don't think they'd be remembered as such icons.

I always felt sorry for Monroe. She seemed like she was a genuinely sweet person at one time that Hollywood gobbled up, chewed to pieces, then spat out.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:31 AM

Bogart said the same thing that you did about Dean. Having been around back then, I recall Dean as being immensely popular during his lifetime with the teenage set, as Elvis would become shortly thereafter. The kids didn't necessarily care if Dean was a real talent; he was just "cool." But unless memory is failing, Monroe was heralded for her glamour and performances during her lifetime by all age groups, at least among the public if not the critics.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:49 AM

26,273 posts, read 8,385,413 times
I was in a big store the other day. In the book section were three books about Marilyn. Every year, her calender is a big seller. She continues to fascinate.

Every once in a while, I watch her in the movie, 'Some Like It Hot.' She is fantastic in this very funny film. But, she drove her co-stars and director to distraction. Billy Wilder said, "we were in mid flight, and there was a nut on the plane."

There were many takes which should have been simple, like Marilyn saying, "it's me Sugar." For some reason, she couldn't do it until many, many takes. Billy Wilder warned her co-stars Jack Lemmon, and Tony Curtis, "make sure you say your lines correct every time, because when Marilyn gets it right, I'll print it."

Tony Curtis especially was upset. He claimed his best performance was on the cutting room floor. But, for all that, a couple of years after she died, Billy Wilder was viewing the rushes of another of his films. The female star wasn't quite as he hoped. He said to himself, "this movie needs Marilyn Monroe."

Thank goodness for 'Some Like It Hot.' It shows Marilyn at the top of her game. She was a limited actress, but had something magical about her that comes right through the screen. A vulnerability, beauty, and femininity no actress before or after, ever achieved.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Thank goodness for 'Some Like It Hot.' It shows Marilyn at the top of her game. She was a limited actress, but had something magical about her that comes right through the screen. A vulnerability, beauty, and femininity no actress before or after, ever achieved.
Yes, she must've been magical because the majority of the movie-going public then and now agree with you. I just can't see it though, but then again, I never thought much of Frank Sinatra either, always thought that he "talked" the lyrics rather than sing them.

Recall when the local movie theater caught fire during "Some Like It Hot" and the bystanders and rubber neckers outside joked that Marilyn got too hot for the screen.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:48 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,430,944 times
I think Marilyn had enormous potential but she was never given the chance to really shine. Don't Bother to Knock, The Asphalt Jungle and The Misfits are great examples of what she could do with a good script and character. Bus Stop is one of her best comedic performances and the moment where she says to Beau, "I'd go anywhere in the world with you now," is so touching and real.

She won a Golden Globe for Some Like It Hot.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:12 AM

26,273 posts, read 8,385,413 times
Who couldn't love this gal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eDHlgnRuaM

Old 07-15-2014, 12:11 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,490,595 times
I love the film "How to Marry a Millionaire".

Old 07-16-2014, 11:15 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,046,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Could never grasp the public's fascination with her. Sure she was gorgeous but so were many others. She played ditzy roles mostly but there were better actresses at ditz than Marilyn. But she was pretty good in "Niagara" (1953) in a serious role. Maybe she should have focused more on serious parts. She was rated "superb" in "The Misfits" although I think that superb is stretching it.

Watch Bus Stop. That was the saddest character she ever played.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies