Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 09:41 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
The only theaters around here that qualify would be places like the Rialto, Chelsea and the old Galaxy.
The Cary, crossroads and Park
Place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 11:26 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
OP isn't hallucinating. Luckily I just read subtitles

Old 07-13-2014, 11:44 PM

821 posts, read 1,461,543 times
The only place where I routinely have this problem is at the 2.25 theatre....I'd probably complain to management at any other place, maybe even request a refund if they didn't resolve it. I have adjusted to watching quite a few movies at home, $8-15 is a lot to risk these days!

Old 07-14-2014, 12:02 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest12 View Post
The only place where I routinely have this problem is at the 2.25 theatre..
I have noticed it here lately also...
I flat out tell cell phone users that the light is distracting, usually takes care of the problem..
The last movie we went to a toddler was talking alot and then the mom began to answer him louder than the kid was talking...We all turned and shushed then at the same time...

If they don't know its rude I am going to tell them !!!

Old 07-14-2014, 08:48 AM

644 posts, read 841,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
English movie audience is MUCH more polite, trust me. I have been to animated english movies with lots of kids in the audience & they were quiet compared to adults at indian movies. I just couldn't tolerate the non-stop talking anymore. It seems like when you are with people of same race you can throw your weight around & expect them to deal with it. This one kid was crying non-stop, maybe because they dragged the sleepy kid to a 10pm show. I told them to please say something to make him quiet & the parents were asking me what should they do. Well, hire a babysitter morons or just stay home. Unfortunately the movies are not rated so they can bring kids without anyone checking on them. If these movies were made here, most of them would be R-rated because of sexual content & violence. Kids should not be seeing these movies but its not my place to correct anyone else's parenting. All i need is the movie theatre experience but what i get instead is similar to watching a movie at a party in someone's crowded living room. I dont think i would ever watch an indian movie in theatre again. Will stick to hollywood movies with cultured, polite audience.
This is not true. Movies here irrespective of where they are made have to be rated. As for your issue with noisy audience, yes, it is an issue with the crowd that watches Bollywood movies. It isn't like most good Bollywood movies make it to the theaters in Cary anyway.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:34 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times
I quit going to movies. Cell phones, talkers, seat-kickers. Just not worth it. Occasionally I will go, but only to movies that need a "big screen", i.e. action-adventure. Normal "talking head" movies, I can wait and catch it on cable. Besides, at "my age", sitting still for so long without falling asleep is difficult

Old 07-14-2014, 09:41 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
OP, are you Indian as well? I just wonder if it's not a cultural thing, My husband is Indian and has always told me that movies in India are a family affair, including babies, children and grandparents and etiquette rules about there are different than they are here. We saw a movie the last time we were in India and it was very crowded and loud, nothing like a movie experience here.

Given that we have such a large Indian immigrant population in this area, I can't help but wonder if many of them just aren't used to the American concept of getting a babysitter and silence in theaters. I've really never seen the level of sex, drugs and raunchiness in a typical Bollywood movie that would make it inappropriate for families. My husband has also always told me that since culturally Bollywood movies are generally watched by families together, most of them are appropriate and that's certainly always been our experience.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:33 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
I can't even imagine, calling a theater audience those terms. There's always at least ONE teenaged girl who insists on talking nonstop for two hours. Always! Had one do that one day, and even her friends kept asking her to shut up, and she never did. Her mouth never stopped running for an entire movie! Then there was the one who talked on her phone, giving a play by play of the movie, to the poor person on the other end! The WHOLE movie.

I am more than willing to wait 6 weeks until movies come to DVD or On Demand.
I tend only to go on "Indy" films, whose audiences are in fact "cultured and polite" as a general rule, but on the times I go to a more mainstream movie, I do my best to avoid the popular cineplexes and especially popular times. Monday night is always a slow night at the movies and even for new films, there are often only a handful of folks there, and if someone does talk, there is room to move.

If it's a cultural/race thing, then yeah, probably better to bring it up in a forum more directly related to that and less local in scope.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:56 AM

66 posts, read 82,498 times
Smile I am Indian but I am also bothered sometimes

Yes, it is a family affair to watch movies. It is common (and widely received by all audience) to make a joke/comment about the current dialogues and everyone who could hear it can/will laugh heartily. But I have seen this in Non-Indian movies also. This is different from shouting yahoo when you see an actor like Tatum or Johanssen which is very common in popular Indian movies.

As far as kids talking especially teenagers -- I think the pre-teens and teens see their adults make comments when they were little and think it is OK to say anything. They make bad comments and even running commentary. I also noticed Indian parents (just an observation) that don't teach their kids when to talk and NOT in general. I have told a group of 8 kids to be nice and quiet and let me watch the movie when I recently went to an Indian movie with my teenage daughter. 3 other adults immediately said Thank you. Just tell them to please be quiet and they might listen. Good Luck.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:55 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
This is not true. Movies here irrespective of where they are made have to be rated. As for your issue with noisy audience, yes, it is an issue with the crowd that watches Bollywood movies. It isn't like most good Bollywood movies make it to the theaters in Cary anyway.
I checked with the manager about the ratings & he said since its a foreign movie its not rated. Someone was renting the auditorium to show the movie & it was up to them to take care of ratings. Sometimes its the person renting the space who also sells tickets. I believe they must have some contract with the person renting the space to take care of ratings. Since no one complains about it the theatre owners are unaware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies