Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 09:33 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,227,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
G'morning All!

I can't get You Tube to work right now for some reason, but the scene I should like to post is the 'Take my baby' scene from Sophie's Choice. In thirty years, I've never been able to get past that one.

I'm an emotional basket case anyway, especially when it comes to kids and lovers. The scene in the subway washroom in The Pursuit of Happiness is another one that does me in.

Lately, there are two movies that both Darlin' and I sat and hugged and wept our way through: Heaven is for Real, and October Baby - not just a scene or two - the whole movies. If you haven't seen them yet....

Mahrie.
Pursuit of Happyness got me too, I forgot about that. I cried pretty hard at the subway scene, he had reached the end of his rope. I like inspirational films that are based on true stories of hardship and then rewards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 05:37 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,461,588 times
I don't cry while watching a film, but I welt up during certain scenes in my favorite films.

1) Crash-When Michael Pena's character thinks his daughter, who jumps in his arms, has been shot by the shopkeeper by a bullet intended for him because the shopkeeper was robbed and was mad that Pena's character didn't fix the lock. It turns out that he was firing blanks, but the pain you see in a father's eyes at the prospect of his daughter being killed is heartbreaking. Brilliant acting.

2) Planes, Trains, and Automobiles-When it's revealed in the end that Del (John Candy) is homeless and that his wife is dead. Neil (Steve Martin) forces him to spend Thanksgiving dinner with his family.

3) Untamed Heart-In the end when Adam (Christian Slater) dies and he leaves a letter (the contents of which are voiced over by Adam) for Caroline (Marisa Tomei) who just starts bawling because she just lost the love of her life.

4) Remember the Titans-When Gerry Bertier (Ryan Hurst) is driving in his car after a football victory and gets t-boned by another car, rendering him paralyzed from the waist down for the rest of his life. "Fire and Rain" by James Taylor is playing in the background. I just found out that Gerry Bertier was a real person. What an incredible human being he was.

Last edited by maniac77; 08-03-2014 at 06:35 PM..

Old 08-03-2014, 06:27 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,784 times
Several scenes in "Saving Private Ryan" made me tear up.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:18 PM

197 posts, read 233,735 times
Default A Double Dose of Tom Hanks Movies

I guess spoilers are allowed since the OP asked for scenes. But mine were from a double dose of Tom Hanks movies.

The scene near the end of Saving Mr. Banks when the annoying Pamela Travers was tearing up during the premiere screening of Mary Poppins made me tear up.

Also, the scene near the end of Captain Phillips when Hanks was bawling his eyes out when he had to witness the slaughter of his captors made me tear up also.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:49 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
This...oh God, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzNVmZfNoa8

Old 12-18-2014, 09:55 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
I doubt any of you have seen this one... The first move to make me bawl...

All Mine to Give (1957) - IMDb

Old 12-19-2014, 12:16 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
I don't cry while watching a film, but I welt up during certain scenes in my favorite films.

1) Crash-When Michael Pena's character thinks his daughter, who jumps in his arms, has been shot by the shopkeeper by a bullet intended for him because the shopkeeper was robbed and was mad that Pena's character didn't fix the lock. It turns out that he was firing blanks, but the pain you see in a father's eyes at the prospect of his daughter being killed is heartbreaking. Brilliant acting.
Can't really think of any movie that has made me cry but the above scene made me feel like crying a little. Also the execution of John Coffey in The Green Mile and the shooting of Danny Vinyard in the school bathroom at the end of American History X. Hit me right in the feels.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:37 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
Shine a film about David Helfgott. Several moving scenes but there's one at the end where David
does a come back concert and Geoffrey Rush (David) stands in front of the audience with tears
of happiness. Get's me every time.
Shine (1996) - IMDb

Tom Hanks in Philadelphia in this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b0p9mTJOJI

and several scenes in the films Awakenings, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas and some others mentioned
on this thread.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:09 PM

16,579 posts, read 8,600,121 times
This video clip does not have the final narration when you find out that the lioness survived and now has a family of it's own.
However it was a tear jerker for anyone who loves animals and the effort that Joy and George Adamson went to helping Elsa to survive in the wild after having been raised in captivity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB5iodUkBaI

Sadly both the Adamson's were murdered in Africa, almost 10 years apart years after they raised Elsa.
`

Last edited by Vector1; 12-19-2014 at 09:21 PM..

Old 12-20-2014, 08:17 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
"Terms of Endearment" wore me out.
Terms of Endearment is guaranteed to make me cry every time. The scene where Debra Winger is dying and the very end where Shirley McClaine is at the wake, with her little granddaughter sitting next to her. Oh and when Jack Nicholson is showing her grandson the pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
G'morning All!

I can't get You Tube to work right now for some reason, but the scene I should like to post is the 'Take my baby' scene from Sophie's Choice. In thirty years, I've never been able to get past that one.

I'm an emotional basket case anyway, especially when it comes to kids and lovers. The scene in the subway washroom in The Pursuit of Happiness is another one that does me in.

Lately, there are two movies that both Darlin' and I sat and hugged and wept our way through: Heaven is for Real, and October Baby - not just a scene or two - the whole movies. If you haven't seen them yet....

Mahrie.
Sophies Choice - wow, how could I forget that scene where she has to choose between her son and her daughter. I cried my eyes out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies