Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 10:51 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
There better be a good explination.
Getting used to it is not so much a problem with race as it is with storyline.

Stormtroopers are clones- they all look like the humanoid they were designed after.
So either this new character stole an outfit, or they had a V.2 run of stormtroopers with a different model.
Clone troopers were clones, it was never confirmed if Stormtroopers were clones or not, only assumed that they were based on the canon created through the prequels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 02:43 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Yes - my thoughts exactly: that rolling droid looks so darned fake, so CGI'd, that it upsets me. Until I see something in real life move like that I am left with the impression there's no way that looks remotely real. I would have expected something out of Lucasarts to be more well done this day and age and hope some final edits are done to fix it (the lighting on it, or something!)
Eh don't be so quick to judge. It was a teaser trailer and may have been rushed.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Eh don't be so quick to judge. It was a teaser trailer and may have been rushed.
That and it is 12 months out.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:37 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,141 times
I really don't care if there are black stormtroopers or not. It seems a ridiculous thing to worry about.
I also wonder if this is a manufactured controversy as that the only place I really see outrage over a black stormtrooper is in comments section of articles claiming there is outrage over a black stormtrooper
Maybe there were one or two stupid, racist comments on Twitter and some lazy writer decided to make a "story" out of it, which then went viral.

I'm looking forward to the movie but was rather underwhelmed by the teaser.

Boyega's scene is like one of those "scare videos" where they abruptly transition from a static,calm scene to a suspenseful one. It ended up having the effect of looking like something they do in a comedy or parody movie and just seemed ridiculous.

Leia's daughter looks like she is flying an air conditioner or a box. Can't they get any better designers?

The new lightsaber looks impractical and stupid. Why does every new Star Wars need to "update" the light saber? It's such a cool, unique weapon that we shouldn't need the gimmick of making it look slightly different each time.

The Falcon with the CGI camera tracking and lens flare looked like typical Abrams and I thought they were moving towards more practical, traditional looking effects.

One of the major appeals of this new effort is the fact that the ORIGINAL cast is in it. A glimpse of at least one of them would have been nice.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
I really don't care if there are black stormtroopers or not. It seems a ridiculous thing to worry about.
I also wonder if this is a manufactured controversy as that the only place I really see outrage over a black stormtrooper is in comments section of articles claiming there is outrage over a black stormtrooper
Maybe there were one or two stupid, racist comments on Twitter and some lazy writer decided to make a "story" out of it, which then went viral.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to the movie but was rather underwhelmed by the teaser.
I disagree but that is opinion and not fact.

Quote:
Boyega's scene is like one of those "scare videos" where they abruptly transition from a static,calm scene to a suspenseful one. It ended up having the effect of looking like something they do in a comedy or parody movie and just seemed ridiculous.
It might have also been a specific shot scene for the trailer that will be cut from the movie. I am not sure if that can work unless his ship is destroyed or something but it worked for the context of the teaser.

Quote:
Leia's daughter looks like she is flying an air conditioner or a box. Can't they get any better designers?
Being that it was Tattoinee (there's no other desert planet in the movies yet), it looked like a spare engine from a pod-racer IMO.

Quote:
The new lightsaber looks impractical and stupid. Why does every new Star Wars need to "update" the light saber? It's such a cool, unique weapon that we shouldn't need the gimmick of making it look slightly different each time.
It's supposed to be a guard. There was a meme going around about it. I can't find it but it is shown that it prevents Luke losing his hand in episode V. So perhaps the cross guard is more practical than we thought.

Quote:
The Falcon with the CGI camera tracking and lens flare looked like typical Abrams and I thought they were moving towards more practical, traditional looking effects.

One of the major appeals of this new effort is the fact that the ORIGINAL cast is in it. A glimpse of at least one of them would have been nice.
I think the practical effects are more about how the aliens look. If we watched the original Star Wars movies and we saw how they were at the time, it looked silly even for the technology at that time. Granted the Special Edition and the Prequels didn't do much favors either in the opposite way.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:31 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post

Stormtroopers are clones- they all look like the humanoid they were designed after.
So either this new character stole an outfit, or they had a V.2 run of stormtroopers with a different model.
lol stormys haven't been clones since Palpatine changed the republic to the empire. Most Stormys are drafts or volunteers.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
lol stormys haven't been clones since Palpatine changed the republic to the empire. Most Stormys are drafts or volunteers.
Just the same as pilots in the star fighter acacedmies becoming TIE fighter pilots.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:04 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,307,209 times
Quote:

Wow, don't get your panties in a bunch. Anyone who watched "A New Hope" knows that stormtroopers, clone or otherwise, can be killed and their uniform stolen and used by anyone, as Luke Skywalker and Han Solo did when they marched into the detention area on the Death Star to rescue Leia.

Or, as others have suggested, storm troopers are no longer clones, but are draftees. Either way, I'm sure the explanation will be simple.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:42 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
Quote:
I'm glad they're not in there. The quicker they can be shuffled offstage the better in my opinion. I'd rather them not feature at all given how incestuous the books quickly became. That's not the right word, but it is as close as I can come up with. I'm really looking forward to the one off movies so we can explore the huge and cool Galaxy that has so far only been hinted at instead of explore the line of apostolic succession from Anakin Skywalker.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:06 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Yes - my thoughts exactly: that rolling droid looks so darned fake, so CGI'd, that it upsets me.
The soccer ball droid makes the most sense to me. R2 would have no hope on most terrain - particularly sand. Nerf2-D2 on the other hand, would have no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies