Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 07:26 PM

2,178 posts, read 2,314,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
BTW, I do hope you realize than Wesley Snipes dyed his hair and was wearing colored contacts in Demolition Man.
Didn't see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 06:10 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
On another note, if there are some goofy a$$ sea monsters I'm out.
I can't tell if they're sea monsters or crocodiles or monster crocodiles. But I'm not the only one who has noticed.

The Plagues Arrive In New Trailer For Exodus: Gods And Kings

"Unfortunately, it does not look very good at all. There’s a lot of shouting and portentous pronouncements that one would expect from an overheated Biblical epic. There are plagues a-plenty, as Egypt is overrun with locusts, frogs, and, um, sea-monsters? Joel Edgerton screams, Christian Bale screams, the slaves are freed, the seas are parted. But if this trailer represents some of the best footage from Exodus: Gods and Kings, then we need not have worried about the racial issues: this movie already sucks."

Old 12-04-2014, 11:32 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
It looks like some graphic novel take on the story of Moses and the exodus from Egypt similar to Brett Ratner's Hercules(: The Thracian Wars) with The Rock did with Hercules. I don't know if Ridley Scott is poison or not but it looks like another bible "epic" similar to Noah that strays from the real story. If I want to watch a movie about the book of Exodus, you have Prince of Egypt.

The whitewashing issue kind of always existed. I mean The Ten Commandments was largely white washed in the 1950's as was Cleopatra with Elizabeth Taylor. The issue is now, more people complain about it.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
as was Cleopatra with Elizabeth Taylor.
True, but at least there it was kind of justified. The main characters of that movie were either mostly Romans or Ptolemaic Egyptians like Cleopatra, who weren't really Egyptian at all but descended from Greeks.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:52 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
True, but at least there it was kind of justified. The main characters of that movie were either mostly Romans or Ptolemaic Egyptians like Cleopatra, who weren't really Egyptian at all but descended from Greeks.
I guess but I think the general public would think that Cleopatra herself was actually bronze, not white.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I guess but I think the general public would think that Cleopatra herself was actually bronze, not white.
In the centuries before sunscreen, she probably was.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:28 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Is there really going to be sea monsters in the movie? I need to go back and watch the trailer. That would be as dumb as rock monsters in the Noah movie.
Looks like crocodiles to me. Definitely larger then a normal crocodile, but not a sea monster and not testicles either. Just looks like a large crocodile jumping out of the water and biting down on a ship.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:20 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Are the crocodiles too light as well?

Old 12-04-2014, 06:03 PM

16,543 posts, read 8,579,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Sooooo true!!! After "Gladiator" he went on my "best to avoid" list. His antics just irritate me too much. It ain't a race issue, it ain't an historical issue, it is a MONEY issue.
Funny I have a "best to avoid" list also. It is mainly Michael Moore, and Oliver Stone. However I also include Steven Spielberg if the movie is about unfriendly aliens.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:10 AM

828 posts, read 907,408 times
mega man, now that I understand your original post, here's my answer. I guess I don't think it's egregious to have an "Anglo" play a Middle Eastern, Hebrew or Israelite. It's not like exchanging Chris Tucker for Jackie Chang, or Jackie Chang for Chris Tucker. Perhaps that's not 100% PC to say, but Anglos and Middle Easterners are not that different looking. There are Anglos with dark hair, and there are blond haired Middle Easterners. I think many people have an ethnically ambiguous look.

Also, anyone here who has worked in the entertainment business, especially in casting, will tell you that you make the age and ethnicity thing work. I think this is taught in acting classes. The best actors are highly empathetic ones, many of whom are chameleons that can take on a role that's not theirs in real life. It's part of their craft.

If you watch House of Cards, the lady who plays a Latina Chief of Staff, you might know that the woman who plays her, Sakina Jaffrey, is Indian. Some people have issues with that. I don't. I admire that someone like Al Pacino can nail the Cuban American accent and mannerisms in Scarface. It doesn't have to be perfect, because film never is, but it is a testament to Pacino and those involved in the movie to their commitment to their work.

These are things I love about film and television.

Now, when producers and casting don't do their job correctly and are just lazy, that's annoying. I've seen it firsthand. But as I mention above, no film or show is a perfect production. They have time and budget constraints (not saying that's the case with Exodus). Which brings me back to my "you make it work" part. So it's a thin line when you look at it from the outside, between laziness or impassivity and making it work because of real constraints. I realize Christian Bale wasn't cast because of constraints, usually those things are affected when it comes to supporting or background actors. Not the main player.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies