Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 11:46 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,456,593 times

Advertisements

I only watch movies I think I would like. Occasionally I get a bad one but most of the time they are at least decent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 11:47 AM

41,820 posts, read 74,868,107 times
Movies sometimes don't live up to their billing. Others are much better than advertised.

It's a crapshoot, no matter which way you go.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:38 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,048,751 times
Because I thought I had missed something. Most of the times, I didn't.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:22 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,791,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Movies sometimes don't live up to their billing. Others are much better than advertised.

It's a crapshoot, no matter which way you go.
Yeah, I finally saw Lone Ranger a few days ago and realized that everyone was actually right because it was just terrible.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:15 PM

15,524 posts, read 15,521,702 times
I love this question, although I would have done it in two versions, for people who deliberately see things they'll probably dislike, versus accidentally. As a matter of fact, you have enough for a half-dozen interesting threads in here.

I sometimes see movies I'm almost positive I dislike. Sometimes if I love one of the participants, sometimes if it's a biggie just to see what the rest of the world likes, and sometimes just to support the movie.

Apart from that, I usually check the ratings/reviews in my own particular method, and then choose from there.

But I'm sorry that you're convinced that you can't possibly learn something from a movie you don't like, or that you can't possibly learn something from a fictional movie.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:55 PM

12,317 posts, read 8,045,854 times
Quote:
Why do you see a lot of movies you don't like? Don't you know your own taste in movies so that you can pretty much figure out beforehand, that the odds are you won't like a movie and avoid it?
Because I can't talk her out of it so I take a couple of hours for the team.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:13 PM

7,225 posts, read 7,017,093 times
I would say the main reason I see movies I don't like is because hubby drags me to them thinking I'm wrong.

For example, I hated Fight Club. Hubby insisted I would like the psychological aspects of it but I thought it was dumb.

And while I love sci-fi movies, I thought the Matrix was so over hyped for how it was. He loves those movies.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:08 AM

37,762 posts, read 40,870,361 times
I really don't like prison movies or heist movies so I've never bothered with, for example, any of the Oceans movies and I've never seen The Shawshank Redemption. I really don't like basketball or boxing/fighting (as a sport), either, so after the first Rocky, I had enough. I did, however, see and liked "Cinderella Man" because I wanted to see a Depression era movie and I happen to like Russell Crowe. I liked that movie and I'm glad that the trailer makers made it appealing to me. Unfortunately, everyone else stayed home.

Sometimes, I am faked out by a movie trailer. The best example of that is the 1998 Godzilla. Best movie trailers I ever saw (the dock one and the New Year's dropping ball one) for any movie. To this day, I remember them. The trailer makers should have gotten awards for getting people to want to see the movie. But, I should have wondered why the lead actors weren't in the trailers. I'll tell you why. It was the worst casting I've ever seen in 60 years of going to the movies. Whoever casted it should have never worked again. Matthew Broderick, romantic leading man in an action drama...really? Maria Petillo, lead female, somebody's girfriend, maybe?

I'm not a Tom Hanks fan (never saw Forrest Gump, for example) but Road To Perdition intrigued me enough to see it and I loved it and speaking of actors playing against type, I also loved Collateral with Tom Cruise. Broderick playing against type in Godzilla...Noooo.

After the Ewoks, Star Wars lost me forever. After the first Lord of the Rings and looking at my watch constantly (and no intermission, I might add), I was done with that movie series, too. I'm still watching the Die Hards.

I read a critics "review" primarily for the summary then make up my own mind. I have zero in common with some NYC/other big city critic or they with me so their actual review will not make me favor a movie. However, and this may happen with some of you, too, sometimes the critic will say why they disliked a movie and that will be the very reason why it would appeal to me. Two movies the critics LOOOOOOVED that I absolutely hated: Annie Hall, Shakespeare In Love (may they rot in you know where for that one - that goes for you, too, Academy Award Best Picture voters). I haven't wanted to see a Best Picture winner since The Departed, an excellent entertaining movie, in my opinion.

My ex-husband used to like to see comedies and I like to see drama/action...maybe that's why he's my ex.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:07 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,270,108 times
Did you know you can leave at a certain point and get your money back?
Or credit, gift card?
I have done this many times...they ask why...bec they just need to know.
They don't care at all, btw...no judgment, at all.
It is a product you are paying for like anything else.

Once I did take too long...I told them, "I kept TRYING to find some good, thinking
it HAS to get better!!! It just never DID!" Ick!
Still no problem.

I would like to take this time to say I was SO with Elaine Benis regarding
The English Patient!!! Hahaha

Old 01-12-2015, 10:27 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,101,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Sometimes, I am faked out by a movie trailer. The best example of that is the 1998 Godzilla.
I knew I wasn't the only one. ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies