Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 10:02 AM

99,119 posts, read 4,471,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
There is nothing they can do besides roll their truck to the mail processing center earlier so it makes it to the delivery station the next day. The postal service has decided to stop holding their last truck because of all the overtime on the backside waiting for the last piece to be processed.
Then perhaps Netflix should send out an email to their DVD customers and inform them of this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 01:24 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,499,917 times
Well, I didn't get my dvd in the mail today like Netflix said I would. What is this, the third time the dvd deliveries haven't been on time?

Old 01-17-2015, 01:28 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,247,451 times
Ok, I take it back this is the only the second time I'm noticing a slow down...
but thought I should mention it here.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:04 PM

4,029 posts, read 2,099,986 times
If this is being Netflix's fault, okay. But then, instead of posting that we should get it the next day, they should promise it two or three days out---underpromise and, when possible, overdeliver---but with the USPS, it looks like overdelivery won't be happening!.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:16 PM

939 posts, read 3,379,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I know a lot of people stream Netflix, but I don't think their streaming selection is good. I get one at a time through the mail. I live just a few miles away from their local warehouse, so when they stick a movie in the mail, they say I will get it the next day...and I do!

Except the last couple of movies have taken two days, getting here a day after they say. Not a big deal, but considering that in the past they have been known for throttling and had to settle a class action suit about it, I am wondering whether throttling is starting again or the mail service is just a little slow.
This has been happening to me too since the beginning of the new year. I don't even consider myself a heavy user. I usually keep my discs 7-10 days before I get around to watching them and sending them back.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:57 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,251,597 times
Well, today is the first time I've had a Netflix disc not arrive when it was supposed to. I looked forward to having the movie this weekend, so I'm not happy. But it's the first time in many years, so I should not complain.

The local Netflix company here closed in Nov or Dec. Maybe that's why, I don't know.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:26 PM

12,303 posts, read 8,026,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
Then perhaps Netflix should send out an email to their DVD customers and inform them of this situation.
If they are like all other USPS customers on every envelope they mail and every time you log into their website is another plea to drop mail service and go to internet only to save them money for postage, printing and envelopes. Even though it is not Netflix's fault but rather the postal service now giving up trying to compete with email, as they did for the past decade with every piece everyday and expanding overtime payments to postal workers, telling your customers you will get less service for the same price from now on is a tough thing for any company to do

Old 01-18-2015, 07:56 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,619,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
If this is being Netflix's fault, okay. But then, instead of posting that we should get it the next day, they should promise it two or three days out---underpromise and, when possible, overdeliver---but with the USPS, it looks like overdelivery won't be happening!.
Netflix definitely needs to better manage customer expectations given the current realities.

It does create an interesting situation. Netflix promises 1-day delivery that is no longer assured.
It is no longer assured because the postal service doesn't want to pay overtime.
People get annoyed and cancel their DVD-by-mail service thereby reducing the fees the postal service collects from Netflix even further.
And so it goes.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:22 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,091,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Netflix definitely needs to better manage customer expectations given the current realities.

It does create an interesting situation. Netflix promises 1-day delivery that is no longer assured.
TBH, Netflix promises 1-3 day delivery. They list the most optimistic delivery time / date - 1 day from shipping.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:46 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,427,200 times
I've been doing the DVDs - one at a time - from Netflix since January of '09. With the exception of weeks with federal holidays, and the random hiccup, I get and watch 2 DVDs a week. That generally means that I get a movie and watch it Wednesday, mail it back Thursday, I get another DVD on Saturday, watch it either Saturday or Sunday, mail it back on Monday, get another on Wednesday, etc., etc.

With all of those movies - over 500 at this point - I think I had a damaged disc on two occasions. That's a pretty low percentage.

I also do the Watch Instantly - I use that for some old movies and especially TV series I never had the time to watch when they were new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies