Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2015, 05:20 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Both AH and SLP were way more entertaining than AS, though I'm not so certain what's so great about BC's acting.
I would emphatically agree with your comment on AH and SLP, though having served 25 years in the service, those two great films did not come close to the effect that Clint Eastwood's film had on me. It's just the nature of the beast - when a film affects you like that. And I will refer to my earlier post #90 with respect to the film speaking to those with connections to the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 07:53 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
I would emphatically agree with your comment on AH and SLP, though having served 25 years in the service, those two great films did not come close to the effect that Clint Eastwood's film had on me. It's just the nature of the beast - when a film affects you like that. And I will refer to my earlier post #90 with respect to the film speaking to those with connections to the military.
Not to get OT, but out of curiosity, what did you think of Black Hawk Down? I'm asking because for me, it's a very intense film and gets me sitting on the edge of my seat.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:45 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Pretty large crowd for the first showing on a Saturday. Everyone was quiet at the end. No one got up until the last image during the credit roll.

two ... ...
Saw it tonight. Complete respect or reverence at the end of the movie. No one got up until the last image and people were quiet as they walked out. Excellent movie.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:57 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Very similar to the situation we faced in Vietnam. After we came back, we realized why there were protesters. We had been lied to and were fighting for nothing. Not only did many of us have PTSD, we were pissed off.
Yeah, and Jane Fonda bombed (in) Hollywood....

Old 02-01-2015, 12:09 AM

128 posts, read 203,145 times
***SPOILER ALERT***

A Turkish guy's perspective. I watched the movie twice because after the first time, I had some other friends who were going to see it.

1. It was interesting how the women in the movie were portrayed. At the beginning, he walked in on his girlfriend cheating on him and she shrieked at and blamed him, complaining that she was doing this for the attention and that he was "never going to be a cowboy." As someone else mentioned, his wife also turned out to be very emotional and nagged constantly. During the first bar scene, I thought I was watching "Hitch" when she turned down the lame married guy and Chris came over as this smooth talker (even the voicemail later). From that bar scene, she came off as rude and even a bit trashy with alcohol and lots of cursing throughout the movie. Like Chris' ex-girlfriend, she was very self-centered. While Chris was on the battlefield, he called her and she wanted to talk dirty, maybe to feel attractive while pregnant, and suddenly, "Oh I forgot. Your brother got deployed." She later got jealous when the military kept taking him from her and said, "You're MY husband," and later threatened to leave him. The character "Biggles" went through similar issues with his own girlfriend. Biggles told Kyle he got her a ring from Iraq and not somewhere fancy like Zales, and he was grateful she didn't leave him. On the hospital bed, he talked about how he felt inadequate and said she got a raw deal.

There was the Muslim woman who handed her son a huge KRG in plain sight of the US troops, then ran for the KRG instead of her son who just died. It's possible this was because the KRG could suddenly go off, but in the book it was a woman who approached the troops alone, with her son left back, and Kyle only shot the woman. When the marines went into the home of what would be the first informer (later killed by "The Butcher") and pointed their guns at him, the women in the home were being very annoying with their constant screaming. With all these crazy female characters, it's no wonder these men kept running off to this almost all-male military environment.

I would also add to this the nurse who didn't attend to Kyle's crying daughter. If Kyle could hear the loud baby from outside, obviously she heard it from inside, as well as the 6'0+ 200lb+ man banging on the window and screaming. She turned for a moment, but turned back away. If this played out in real life, one could reasonably infer she was ignoring both Chris and the baby.

2. The fake baby wasn't the only eye-rolling part. Lots of great movies have cheesy moments here and there, but Eastwood practically ruined a climactic scene with something outrageous that didn't even take place in real life. After blowing his troops' cover and having their building invaded by several dozen gunmen (Scarface-style), in the middle of the shootout, Kyle sits there, pulls out his phone to call his wife, and sobs to her, "Baby, I'm ready to come home. I'm ready to come home."

3. I didn't see any political agenda regarding Muslims specifically. Actually, Mustafa, the enemy sniper (and fictional character), seemed to be depicted as the Muslim version of Kyle: uniquely bold, skilled, and heroic to his people. Each time American troops were spotted, people called Mustafa. He kept with him a photograph of his Olympic victory, so he must have brought that from his native Syria, showing what a proud moment it was in his life.

4. This movie inspired me to gain weight. Bradley Cooper put on 40 lbs and worked out intensely to go from a silly comedy guy to this caveman.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:33 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Not to get OT, but out of curiosity, what did you think of Black Hawk Down? I'm asking because for me, it's a very intense film and gets me sitting on the edge of my seat.
I liked it, irrespective of ridley scott's participation. ....

Old 02-01-2015, 07:15 AM

324 posts, read 427,435 times
I went to see it yesterday and think it was an excellent film. Not Eastwood's best film, but definitely one of his top three.

Michael Moore needs to back off and stop spewing his hatred towards veterans. His own films are hardly objective and most definitely have a political agenda. And I'm saying this as a guy who leans left/liberal when it comes to politics.

I didn't see any "agenda" in the film except to provoke a discussion and bring awareness about the serious issue of PTSD and veterans.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:23 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by introspectguy View Post
I went to see it yesterday and think it was an excellent film. Not Eastwood's best film, but definitely one of his top three.

Michael Moore needs to back off and stop spewing his hatred towards veterans. His own films are hardly objective and most definitely have a political agenda. And I'm saying this as a guy who leans left/liberal when it comes to politics.

I didn't see any "agenda" in the film except to provoke a discussion and bring awareness about the serious issue of PTSD and veterans.
I don't like Michael Moore, but what he was that Chris Kyle was not a hero. Kyle said he liked killing. As a veteran myself, I have never heard another one say that he liked killing. Chris Kyle had some severe mental health issues. I just wonder if he was ill before joining the military or if his service caused it?

Old 02-01-2015, 07:45 AM

324 posts, read 427,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I don't like Michael Moore, but what he was that Chris Kyle was not a hero. Kyle said he liked killing. As a veteran myself, I have never heard another one say that he liked killing. Chris Kyle had some severe mental health issues. I just wonder if he was ill before joining the military or if his service caused it?
I thought the same thing. Me and my SO talked after the film about whether he was emotionally off before and the military capitalized on that, or if he was balanced and his service wreaked havoc on his mind.

I can see the hero debate and the real footage at the end definitely makes it look like a lot of folks deemed him as one. I wouldn't call him a hero myself, but didn't view him as a monster either.

I just found Moore's comments unnecessary and provoking a strange backlash from other Hollywood elites, some are even going as far to criticize the people who go see the film.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:01 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,564 times
You know it's amazing that for a while now after world war II it's almost as if there is no such thing as a 'just' war. Things have gotten apparently very complicated for soldiers in the armed services of their countries. Not only will his enemy kill him but the politics perhaps will too. Thing is at the last when it comes to the fighting man he really fights for himself and those immediately around him in the narrow confines of battle. In the end that's all that counts. I wonder if Moore understands that bit of what war entails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies