Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 02:51 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
I think this movie has the potential to beat Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 to become the #1 grossing film in North America in 2014
Certainly looks like it could be on it's way to doing that.

Box Office: ‘Boy Next Door’ Rings $500,000 Thursday; ‘American Sniper’ No. 1 | Deadline
$200 million so far, which is quite amazing for a movie that's not a sci-fi/ fantasy movie and coming out mostly in January. I say that as someone who was not the biggest fan of the movie. I liked it, but didn't love it. Don't want that to sound too critical because I thought it was a pretty good movie but basically just a straight forward action/war movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 08:08 PM

13,582 posts, read 15,647,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
In the book, he said he liked killing. That should show that he had mental problems.
Is it also true that he alluded to shooting at people during the looting which followed Katrina?

Old 01-25-2015, 08:22 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,560,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I knew someone would chime in with this and soon.

Unforgiven was the most over-rated movie in history until American Beauty came along. It was so bad that is soured me on Eastwood almost indelibly from that point forward.

I thought he might redeem himself somewhat with Gran Torino, and I had high hopes. But it, too, stunk. And it was NOT essential Eastwood.
Your opinion is completely subjective. I for one liked Unforgiven, though westerns aren't really my thing anymore. And I loved American Beauty.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:23 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,560,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I didn't sense it in the movie and he certainly didn't allude to it in his book.
Maybe because he didn't want to come across as a p*ssy, which is kind of the point. He was raised to not show fear or emotion like that.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:29 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Is it also true that he alluded to shooting at people during the looting which followed Katrina?
Yes he did. He also claimed to have killed two people who attacked him in Texas, and claimed to have punched out Jesse Ventura. These were all proven to be not true. Ventura asked him to admit the lie and apologize, he refused. Ventura sued him and after Kyle was killed a jury found in Ventura's favor.
He also bragged about looting homes in Iraq.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:55 PM

689 posts, read 972,691 times
The article below addresses many of the realities about who Chris Kyle really was and Hollywood's distortions about his life and character. I now have a better understanding of why I did not see the movie I had hoped for. He was a tough, hardened soldier with no remorse whatsoever.

7 heinous lies “American Sniper” is telling America - Salon.com

Old 01-25-2015, 09:24 PM

29,505 posts, read 22,616,067 times
It's unfortunate that those who have a genuine and legitimate concern (and unfavorable opinion of) both the movie and Chris Kyle, are being mercilessly attacked politically (liberal losers, America haters, etc. etc.).

Several things were changed in the movie from the book and the real Chris Kyle as a person. The movie portrays Chris as someone that at first is motivated by patriotic reasons, that he killed the 'savages' because he was protecting lives. Yet there was no bluster, no bravado or bragging, in the Kyle character. Which seems different from the real life Kyle, who seemed to relish in what he did. Not judging either way but clearly the movie 'softened' the Kyle character from the book in order to, I don't know, maybe make him seem less controversial and more an 'honorable' person?

The scenes with the guy with the drill didn't happen, as well as many other scenes (the entire dinner table sequence in Iraq as well as the final rooftop sequence, among others). I thought "Lone Survivor" was bad about fabricating scenes.

And the thing is, quite a few audiences seem to be taking as literal truth what is shown throughout the movie.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:40 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,710,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Your opinion is completely subjective. I for one liked Unforgiven, though westerns aren't really my thing anymore. And I loved American Beauty.
As is yours and everyone else's.

Last edited by CrownVic95; 01-25-2015 at 11:59 PM..

Old 01-25-2015, 11:55 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,710,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's unfortunate that those who have a genuine and legitimate concern (and unfavorable opinion of) both the movie and Chris Kyle, are being mercilessly attacked politically (liberal losers, America haters, etc. etc.).

Several things were changed in the movie from the book and the real Chris Kyle as a person. The movie portrays Chris as someone that at first is motivated by patriotic reasons, that he killed the 'savages' because he was protecting lives. Yet there was no bluster, no bravado or bragging, in the Kyle character. Which seems different from the real life Kyle, who seemed to relish in what he did. Not judging either way but clearly the movie 'softened' the Kyle character from the book in order to, I don't know, maybe make him seem less controversial and more an 'honorable' person?

The scenes with the guy with the drill didn't happen, as well as many other scenes (the entire dinner table sequence in Iraq as well as the final rooftop sequence, among others). I thought "Lone Survivor" was bad about fabricating scenes.

And the thing is, quite a few audiences seem to be taking as literal truth what is shown throughout the movie.
Agreed. That it is.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:09 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,135,962 times
I think a majority of people who understand this film for what it is are somehow related to the military; have served, or is very close to someone who served, or is a sibling or parent or close relative to someone who served, and knows of the trials and tribulations of being in a war and have killed another human being, and the subsequent post traumatic stress (PTS) and eventual struggle with trying to fit back in to society when it's over and they come home and hang up the uniform. To me, that was the key to Bradley Cooper performance, his portrayal of a fighting soldier coming home and trying to fit back into a society where most don't understand what he went through and the turmoil that goes on in the mind of a PTS victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies