Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 12:53 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times

Advertisements

A lot of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" rocketed over my head when I saw it as a teenager. Ten years later, after I was married and saw it again, I understood so much more and realized that this was an astonishingly sophisticated script with incredible performances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 04:46 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,349 times
Howards End (1992)
I must've been either 18 or 19 when I first saw it. I found it boring and I couldn't understand why Emma Thompson was so lauded for her performance in this film. Many years went by before I saw the film again about 2 years ago. This time around, I liked it a lot. Quite possibly the best movie of 1992. I guess now that I'm older I can better appreciate the film.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:01 PM

483 posts, read 870,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Howards End (1992)
I must've been either 18 or 19 when I first saw it. Many years went by before I saw the film again about 2 years ago. This time around, I liked it a lot. I guess now that I'm older I can better appreciate the film.
Interesting thoughts. I feel same way about a different movie... "Dead Poets Society". R. Williams (RIP)

Old 02-13-2015, 10:18 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I never liked old black and white movies as a kid but being older and wiser I appreciate the craft of film making. Today we are whacked upside the head with over the top blood and guts and sex scenes. Back in the day a loving couple could look at each other a certain way and we knew what they would soon be getting up to behind those closed doors.
It was a more innocent time and it was more classy.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:07 AM

172 posts, read 251,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I never liked old black and white movies as a kid but being older and wiser I appreciate the craft of film making. Today we are whacked upside the head with over the top blood and guts and sex scenes. Back in the day a loving couple could look at each other a certain way and we knew what they would soon be getting up to behind those closed doors.
It was a more innocent time and it was more classy.
Absolutely! "Marty" is a good example of a movie I would've found boring as a kid - black & white, no action, just a lot of talking, not even any handsome actors. And no sex or nudity. Yet it's now my favorite romantic movie. There are some scenes where Ernest Borgnine just makes my heart melt.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I've liked The Prisoner of Zenda for some time, but as I've seen more and more Ronald Coleman movies... the man was not only a gifted actor, but chose his roles and movies wisely. Haven't seen a bad one yet.
Oh I LOVE Ronald Colman! A Tale of Two Cities is one off my favorites. I've never seen The Prisoner of Zenda. In fact there are a lot of films mentioned in this thread that I've never seen but now want to. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Old 02-13-2015, 11:41 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Howards End (1992)
I must've been either 18 or 19 when I first saw it. I found it boring and I couldn't understand why Emma Thompson was so lauded for her performance in this film. Many years went by before I saw the film again about 2 years ago. This time around, I liked it a lot. Quite possibly the best movie of 1992. I guess now that I'm older I can better appreciate the film.
Still find it a snore fest. That and the English Patient. He leaves a woman to die in a cave, some romance.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:52 AM

John Wayne is an actor I never liked when I was younger. I still haven't seen many of his movies, but "The Quiet Man" and "The Searchers" are now 2 of my all-time favorite movies.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:55 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
2001: A Space Odyssey. Bored me out of my mind when I first saw it as a kid. Blew my mind when I saw it again about 20 years later. I didn't have the patience, or the ability to add subtle hints together to appreciate where the director wished the audience to go, to understand the movie when I first saw it.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:01 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Musicals. I still don't like the bulk of them, but now I enjoy 42nd Street and all those Busby Berkley musicals, Meet Me In St. Louis, Oklahoma! and The Sound of Music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies