Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 10:17 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

It's not as if they are representative of the American people, or are expert film critics, or are anything but a narrow elite. We don't look to the top 1% to their financial or political choices. So why do people look to actors for their movie choices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 10:28 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
It's not as if they are representative of the American people, or are expert film critics, or are anything but a narrow elite. We don't look to the top 1% to their financial or political choices. So why do people look to actors for their movie choices?
The awards aren't given out by just actors.

Quote:
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) is a professional honorary organization dedicated to the advancement of the arts and sciences of motion pictures. The Academy's corporate management and general policies are overseen by a Board of Governors, which includes representatives from each of the craft branches.

The Academy is composed of almost 6,000 motion picture professionals.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:32 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,349 times
The Academy recognizes a lot of worthwhile films that would otherwise have been dismissed by the general public. Hell, just look at what the general public would've chosen instead as the best movie of the year: American Sniper. A movie with a fake-ass doll being used as a baby. Give me a break!

Old 02-22-2015, 11:18 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,684 times
I don't care what the agenda-driven Academy thinks, but I care even less about the opinions of the general public. The top votes in the mainstream's eyes would be Christopher "Kubrick, Spielberg and Hitchcock, ten-fold" Nolan, Marvel films, and Chris Kyle's toy daughter.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:51 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Of all the nominees for best picture, I only saw Boyhood and American Sniper. I liked Sniper, fake baby notwithstanding. Who gives a flip about one scene in an otherwise good movie? It was Bradley Cooper's fault that the baby scene looked so unreal. If he was so awkward handling a fake baby, I'd hate to see him with the real thing.

Since I only saw those two, I really can't judge if the right film won. I do know that Boyhood was an excellent movie experience for me, so I'm glad it got a lot of recognition and awards this season. Sniper was a good movie, but I feel it was only nominated to get what was sure to be a popular movie in the category to make it more interesting to the general public.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:52 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Let me guess ... you're feeling bitter that Sniper didn't win?

Old 02-23-2015, 07:07 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Most awards shows are just big, expensive PR stunts. The Oscars are no exception. Actually, the Oscars are one of the worst. GLADIATOR wins best picture? Really??? GLADIATOR wasn't even a very good movie, much less a best.

George C. Scott was right.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:32 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
The biggest winner is American Sniper with all the money that came in but aside from the money to me stands out more than everything the RESPECT the public showed when watching the movie and afterwards.

That was priceless and the movie made by Clint Eastwood and the actors in American Sniper with of course Bradley Cooper showing what a great actor he is, makes this movie the movie that in the public mind should have won the OSCAR.

I went to bed since this to me was already one of the worst Oscars and I stayed up until 10.15 pm so I saw more than half of the show but was not much impressed of the show.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:28 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Based on what I heard about all the political b.s. at the Oscars, I am glad I didn't watch it.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:43 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Where was the Oscars for City of God, The Shawshank Redemption, A Clockwork Orange, Psycho, V for Vendetta, Fight Club, Hong Kong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies