Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 10:43 AM

29,505 posts, read 22,616,067 times

Advertisements

Still #1

Weekend Report -'Compton' Tops the Charts Again - Box Office Mojo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 08:15 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,519,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Not bad and the old album is selling again. Not bad at all....i still havent seen it yet.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:18 PM

5,006 posts, read 10,682,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Oh god, I dont understand why all the neo feminist are attacking this movie? Nevermind I do...hollywood expected this movie to fail. It was a success, so with success comes hate. Nothing is going to happen to Dr Dre for his fight with Dee Barnes. He is a millionaire, he won in life. This film proves that while society CAN keep most minorities down, depressed and in a losing position. If people try hard enough and work hard enough they can make it. Its always a good idea to choose battles wisely.
The problem that Dee Barnes (and many other women) have with the film is that it glorifies a group whose members not only wrote and sang very misogynistic songs about women but, also, are/were physically and emotionally abusive to them. This isn't about hate or "keeping minorities down"--the black women who were abused by these guys are the minority here. It's about truth, and it is about addressing a very problematic element in our society: namely, that as long as someone is a great artist whose talent is profitable, then they can pretty much get away with anything as a person.

I imagine that you wouldn't be so apt to fawn all over these guys if you were actually on the receiving end of the brutality that they sing about in their songs.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:25 PM

828 posts, read 907,301 times
StarlaJane, good post. I can't deny that many people are talented, but right is right and wrong is wrong. I like some rap music, but I don't agree with some of the lyrics. I also don't think that some of the values that some music promotes has not done its listeners any favors - materialism, sexism, violence, etc.* That's not to take away from rappers with positive messages. I'd go as far as to say that it doesn't take away from the talent of those with not-so-positive messages. I like some of the songs, but I refuse to pretend they don't have any negative impact.

*This is not unique to rap. You can find this in video games, movies, tv shows. I am not picking on rap.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:52 AM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
The problem that Dee Barnes (and many other women) have with the film is that it glorifies a group whose members not only wrote and sang very misogynistic songs about women but, also, are/were physically and emotionally abusive to them. This isn't about hate or "keeping minorities down"....it is about addressing a very problematic element in our society: namely, that as long as someone is a great artist whose talent is profitable, then they can pretty much get away with anything as a person.
True. Not sure how much this apology means now.

“Dre has apologized for the mistakes he’s made in the past and he’s said that he’s not the same person that he was 25 years ago. We believe his sincerity and after working with him for a year and a half, we have every reason to believe that he has changed.”

The mogul ended his statement with an apology “to the women” he’s hurt, without naming anyone specifically. “I deeply regret what I did and know that it has forever impacted all of our lives,” he said.

Dr. Dre releases statement apologizing to 'Women I've hurt' - LA Times

Old 08-26-2015, 07:58 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,105,948 times
one of the best movies I've seen all year, besides Mad Max and MI:RN. Timelines were a little off (Tupac was still in jail when Eazy E died), and a few other things. but it wasn't a big deal, the story made sense.

The actor who played Dr. Dre was fantastic. Giamatti was great as usual.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
I got the Compton police treatment of being pulled over at gun point off of Santa Fe between Greenleaf and Alondra blvd. I was a fresh green pea from Michigan.
Did you make a California stop or was your car missing it's front plate?

Old 08-26-2015, 09:20 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,031 times
Not of fan of current rap music now but a huge fan of old school rap. NWA is my favorite rap group, along with 2 Live Crew. I remember those days when my friends and I use to drive up and down Fresno to Sacramento blasting away to NWA. Won't go to the theater for this movie but will definitely pick it up the moment its on Redbox.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:31 PM

755 posts, read 674,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Eeek! The police were really that brutal?

My dad is in law enforcement. We live in Pennsylvania, but in 1991 he went to Los Angeles for a week to see things. My dad really wants to see Straight Outta Compton, though. I saw it on Friday,but he wants to wait until it comes out on DVD.
Yes.

He is another story of the CPD.

I was working as a counselor in 96 when I took a kid (16 years old harden kid) on a home visit. We had to drive thru Compton; I got stopped driving a company car (Saturn) with my I.D. badge on. They pulled me over for NOTHING....just driving the speed limit. I was stopped and then they made both of us get out of the car, they opened all the doors including the trunk. We sat on the curb with our hands behind our backs like criminals.

After they were done going through the car, I let in on one of the officer's, telling him everything that I had told the kid about doing the right thing and the police wouldn't harass you was thrown down the toilet and I had lost so much credibility with him. I'll never forget how he looked at me with disappointment when we were sitting there on the curb; he looked at me as if he was saying "see, I told you." It was one of the worst experience I have ever had, because of the effective it had on the kid.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:45 PM

755 posts, read 674,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Did you make a California stop or was your car missing it's front plate?

Everything was clean both times. Just four black youths in a car. The second time I really just didn't get it at all. I could rationalize the first stop, although not at gun point, but the second one.....I was more upset about that one.

I can't count how many times I was pulled over in LA between 86-99, seriously. Lets see... twice in Westwood, five times in one day (Venice, Century City, Santa Monica), once in Montebello, two times in Pasadena, once in Hollywood, once on the 101 FWY, once in Altadena off of the 210 and Woodbury. Another time in Pasadena off of Lake Blvd....... I never got a ticket, just DWB. There was no way I could have been a criminal in LA. If I had been DUI'ing, driving with drugs or weapons, or anything illegal, I would have been buried in jail. That is one reason you have such a disparity of arrests with black people. We get pulled over all the time, when we are younger. Once I was in my early 30's it stopped.

Got a speeding ticket in Van Nuys, a warning for a illegal turn in Encino, a unsafe lane change in Azusa......those were my "actual" stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies