Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 05:24 PM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times

Advertisements

I agree that the movie made no sense if Ford was a replicant so I pretty much rejected that premise. They didn't even leave it as a possible plot twist, it was just a " what if?" with no real foreshadowing.
Hollywood is pretty much finished. Pointless remakes, has beens, never weres and second rate movies they tell us are great, that's all that's left now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 06:10 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
Why wouldn't it make sense? Seems like a possible to me but I haven't thought about it that much.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:06 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
On further thought, I did come up with a few plot-lines that would be interesting to explore.
Deckard IS or IS NOT a replicant, and Rachael dies, or does not have an expo-date. And what does the Tyrell Corp do about their missing property, ... (and worse, walking legal liability!!)

1A) Deckard finds out he is also a replicant, (designed to be a Blade Runner), and he & Rachael decides to go for some more answers. Does he have an expo-date? Who was the source for his Memory Implants?

1A) Ditto above, but enough has time has passed so that Rachael has 'died' (expired), and D wants revenge for being lied to.

2) Deckard is NOT a replicant, but after a few months have passed the Tyrell Corp's (evil) surviving leaders find out that Rachael was a one-off with no expo-date, and to protect themselves they put out a contract on R & D.

2A) ditto, but with D being a replicant.
2B) ditto, with D being a replicant, and oh Surprise! R turns out to have BladeRunner programming too!

RE: Actors:
I guess they could set it with enough time that an older (really old) H Ford could be played, but HF started at age 31 when he got his big break American Graffiti (1973). He looked and acted well in Ender's Game (2013), but he also looked a lot older than that part was written.

Weather or not they were replicants, it was obvious that appearance altering would be super easy with genetic or other tweaking. This could be done at the beginning to allow for a change in actors.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:42 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Why wouldn't it make sense? Seems like a possible to me but I haven't thought about it that much.
It's certainly possible, and the whole unicorn bit definitely seems to suggest that. But it's a bad choice for the story.

The entire point of the story is the Deckard is having doubts about killing replicants. It's tearing him up as a person. Society tells him "they aren't human, so it's okay to kill them," but his conscience knows this is wrong. Replicants are living beings. He's forced to do it anyway, but he can't really stomach it.

Then he runs into the a replicant he can't kill, who is going to kill him instead. But when it finally comes time, the replicant won't do it. He realizes that life is too precious.

That's the scene that turns everything on its head. On the surface it has been a fairly traditional "cop chasing the bad guys." But in that last moment, Deckard realizes what he's been wondering all along. He comes to the realization: I am the bad guy.

If Deckard as a human realizes (with Roy Batty, the replicant) that all life is precious, that being human and being a person is more than a societal definition, that has moral weight. If Deckard is just a replicant sparing the life of another replicant, it robs Deckard's epiphany of most of its weight.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:22 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It's certainly possible, and the whole unicorn bit definitely seems to suggest that. But it's a bad choice for the story.

The entire point of the story is the Deckard is having doubts about killing replicants. It's tearing him up as a person. Society tells him "they aren't human, so it's okay to kill them," but his conscience knows this is wrong. Replicants are living beings. He's forced to do it anyway, but he can't really stomach it.

Then he runs into the a replicant he can't kill, who is going to kill him instead. But when it finally comes time, the replicant won't do it. He realizes that life is too precious.

That's the scene that turns everything on its head. On the surface it has been a fairly traditional "cop chasing the bad guys." But in that last moment, Deckard realizes what he's been wondering all along. He comes to the realization: I am the bad guy.

If Deckard as a human realizes (with Roy Batty, the replicant) that all life is precious, that being human and being a person is more than a societal definition, that has moral weight. If Deckard is just a replicant sparing the life of another replicant, it robs Deckard's epiphany of most of its weight.
Yup. And of course, in the original novel, the entire point is to ask the question "What is human?"

In the original novel, the replicants even take up human religion. Deckard has to face the fact that there is no real way to distinguish between the two. When the tests of childhood memories and bonding friendships fail, the last test is that of empathy for other living creatures, and then even Baty displays empathy.

When Rachel asks the question, "Can you pass your own test?" it's a vital question not because Deckard might be a replicant, but because being a bladerunner has so removed his compassion that he might be a natural-born human who still can't pass it. And he's beginning to realize that.

But if Deckard is a replicant himself, the question becomes moot--it's not even a question anymore.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 05-21-2015 at 05:24 PM..

Old 05-21-2015, 05:25 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
When I first saw Bladerunner in the first weekend of its release, I thought it was a fantastic movie, both in concept and in production. I seem to have been the only one who thought so then.

Has anyone mused why a film that was a box office bomb in its day is sometimes called the greatest movie of all time (and certainly one of the most respected) today?

Old 05-21-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Has anyone mused why a film that was a box office bomb in its day is sometimes called the greatest movie of all time (and certainly one of the most respected) today?
Sometimes a movie is just so far ahead of its time that current audiences fail to get it. THE PRINCESS BRIDE, OFFICE SPACE, THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, and even THE WIZARD OF OZ were all considered box office failures on initial release. They're now considered classics and some of the best movies ever made. And rightly so.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:16 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
HF will reprise his role? Arrghhh!

Then, I have no doubt it will be worse than the 2006 Rocky Balboa as far as sequels go.

We all know what happened to the Indiana Jones franchise with the last installment!

Acting and gambling has at least one thing in common, u gotta know when to quit!

Old 05-26-2015, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Then, I have no doubt it will be worse than the 2006 Rocky Balboa as far as sequels go.

We all know what happened to the Indiana Jones franchise with the last installment!
I liked both ROCKY BALBOA and KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL. The latter quite a lot actually. So in true nerd fashion:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies