Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 11:01 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
E.T., I just don't get it and I like Speilberg movies. I can't figure it out.
The Grand Budapest Hotel: The movie didn't connect with me. It was like pulling teeth.
The Lord of the Rings: I saw about an hour of The Fellowship of the Ring and gave up because it was too slow and plotting for my tastes.
Seconded. I did see Fellowship in it's entirety. It felt like a 6 hour movie for me. And when the movie ends as they are about to start on a journey, I was a bit "WTF?".

Yea, I know there were sequels ahead, but still. It's like Star Wars ending just as the X-wings were taking off from Yavin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 01:19 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
another thread: movies that critics panned when they first came out, but now are classics.

ones everyone likes but I don't:
I am glad someone else doesn't like "It's a wonderful life" I just never got the whole premise of that movie.
"Lego movie" cute, but not great are the 2 I can think of off the top of my head.
I can understand not liking It's A Wonderful Life, but not that you didn't understand the premise. It's just saying everyone's life has value, and we all touch other people's lives in ways we don't always understand. I really love the movie but taste is subjective.

My list:

Avatar - what a boring movie! I think people who saw it in 3D were the ones who loved it, but I saw it at home because 3D gives me a headache. It was beautifully filmed, but not that interesting to me.

The Shining - The book was so much better, and Shelley Duvall just ruined it for me. Plus the boy talking with his finger? So cheesy. Why couldn't they just do a voiceover instead? It couldn't have been worse than the finger.

Any superhero movie - Batman and it's many iterations; Superman; etc. I'm so sick of those taking up all the studio budgets.

Transformers - no explanation.

Superbad - The critics talked about this like it was genius and amazing that Seth Rogan wrote this at 13. To me it totally seemed straight out of the mind of a 13-year old. I couldn't stand the language, and I'm no prude. I just can't think of any guy I ever knew in high school talking that way around girls. Have things changed so much? And the stupid cops, and McLoven. I just thought it was the stupidest movie I had seen in a long time. Not stupid funny like The Jerk, Airplane, or the Austin Powers movies. Stupid bad, like I would have thrown it in the trash if I bought that video.

I know there are more, but I can't think of any others right now.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:30 PM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Gone With The Wind. None of the characters were likeable except for Mammy. They either ranged from the stupid and annoying to the mean, twisted and arrogant. I mean if I could interject myself into that movie as a character, I'd be a Union General leading an army and would make Tara my headquarters and throw everybody off the property. Except Mammy. But I'd probably scold her about hanging around with such a bunch of losers.
Titanic. The scenes of the ship sinking and the historic portrayal of the characters were excellent. But the love story.... drek. Ridiculous characters that did some ridiculous things that only served as a distraction when the ship was sinking. I did like the ending where Jack freezes to death needlessly. Mythbusters proved that had they put the life vest UNDER the bulkhead door, it would have been buoyant enough for them both to float on it. Hah, hah.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:35 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I'm glad there is someone else who doesn't like It's a Wonderful Life. I've tried to like it but I just don't. Of course everyone's life has value but this movie just tries to hammer it into you, and in a very corny way.

I love the Sound of Music but the first time I saw it, it was like........Oh, nooooooooooo.......when she appeared upon the mountain, singing. Too corny for words. But afterwards I began to appreciate musicals and now I enjoy seeing it.

ET, nope. Too stupid. Maybe okay for little kids though.

Titanic. That was not a great movie at all. It's one of my favorite interests and that movie just about ruined it. Great shots of the ship but the stereotyping and silliness, no. Not everyone who travelled steerage was Irish. My grandmother was supposed to come over to this country as an immigrant on The Titanic. She would have gone steerage too. She was English. There were lots of nationalities in steerage from many countries.

I also think they pushed the stereotypical taboo of the high class mixing with the low class a little too far. Add to that some scenes that never could have happened, like the two of them sneaking into the cars stored down in the ship and that ridiculous scene practically hanging off the bow of the ship. I think one of the ships' staff would have seen them and they would have been dealt with. How I disliked that movie for taking us so far astray of the truth.

I don't watch movies anymore because I don't like most of them. So I can only relate to the ones mentioned in here.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:37 PM

897 posts, read 1,179,807 times
The Godfather. I can't make it past .. some scene and it just bores me to tears, yet apparently it's an "epic" film.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:39 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
The Godfather. I can't make it past .. some scene and it just bores me to tears, yet apparently it's an "epic" film.
As far as I know, it seems to be the only movie to get 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. I guess it was good for it's time, but I read the book first so I didn't enjoy the movie as much as others. Books will ruin movies for you because all you can do is think of what was left out of the movie.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:05 PM

566 posts, read 503,479 times
The Godfarter - boring stuff, stiff acting, no action, too slow, silly dialogue.
The English Patient - pure rubbish.
James Bond films - dont like any; silly nonesense.
Dune - the house of madness.
Avatar - CGI overkill, slow, makes no sense.
Dont like any Star Trek films, but do like the shows; Star Warts had cool fx for its time, but the plot was cookoo.
Rocky films - bad acting, silly dialogue, but ye 1st 3 were ok.
I do not like any of Kubrick's films besides 2001 and Dr.Strangelove;
None of Woody Allen's films;

Needless to say none of Orson Welles' films as he is an over-bloated pompous donkey's rear.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:11 PM

19,800 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I absolutely hated "Slumdog Millionaire."

Old 03-20-2015, 09:45 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I absolutely hated "Slumdog Millionaire."
That's another one. Not too long ago I watched Lincoln and The Departed on Netflix. Didn't like either of them. The Departed was so bad that I only watched a little bit. Fine, if you like blood and guts though, I suppose.

The King's Speech. I was expecting a great movie but there was nothing to it.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:17 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Going off the IMDB Top 250..

I'll echo the Godfather.. Just doesn't do it for me.

Once they get out of boot camp in "Full Metal Jacket". Love the movie up until then.

Inglorious Basterds.. Just didn't care for it.

Good Will Hunting

Ok.. This one will probably get me yelled at.. But.. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.. Cannot freaking stand this movie.

The Truman Show.. Seriously? One of the top 250 movies ever?

Now.. remember.. This is coming from someone who laughs his butt off at "BASEketball"..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies