Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 10:59 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times

Advertisements

I think "Star Wars: A New Hope" may be the only movie I've ever watched more than once in a theater, and that one perhaps ten times before it was released in another format.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 12:04 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
Carrie ('02): best body count, and Carrie doesn't have to die, in this one. Always pulls me out of a funk, to watch it.

Panic Room (can't watch it enough: maybe because our first few homes were in apartment buildings we bought and were gentrifying. Takes me back to being 20, in a big, empty, scary old building, with a kid to protect)

The House of Rothschild ('34 -the American version: not the Nazi version) Heart-warming family film to watch with the kids

Young Frankenstein (perfect for groups)

Sunset Boulevard (love that house...)

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane

Lust in the Dust (the whole family sings along)

Harriet Craig (Narcissism personified)

Queen Bee (Joan Crawford personifying Narcissism, AGAIN)

The Producers

The Grifters

Thirty Days of Night (love all that darkness and quiet and snow - and I can identify with the Vamps - plus, there's Manu Bennett, with long hair AND a beard: YUM!)

Hairspray ('88)

The Crazies

Mommie Dearest (I try to live my life by WWJD - "What Would Joan Do?")

Imitation of Life (best tear-jerker EVER)

Don't be Afraid of the Dark (original version - wow, wow WOW)

Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Rosemary's Baby (I wanna be just like Minnie, when I'm old)

Whatever Happened to Aunt Alice?

Jezebel

Schindler's List (for when I'm feeling too smug about the future...)

We have all these at the house in Aspen, where we watch more movies, so maybe that's a factor in repeat viewing. But we have them because they're favorites.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 05-05-2015 at 12:37 AM..

Old 05-05-2015, 12:19 AM

3,523 posts, read 3,728,884 times
Alien 3

The dialogue is superb. The plot holes aren't as glaring as people make them out to be. Gets a lot of hate, but like I've said before, hater's gonna hate.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:11 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
Easily....X-MEN, all of them...
This is one of my top 5 scenes....

"You know those dangerous mutants you hear about on the news?
I'm the worst one...."

-Pyro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfEO...yCFA8k_0tmmMoA

Old 06-09-2016, 05:48 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,693,238 times
I have watched the John Wayne classic The Searchers so many times I an almost do the speaking parts from memory.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:59 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
Terminator 2

Old 06-10-2016, 11:44 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
This is list has zero relationship with my actual favorites, LOL.

1. Teen Witch. That movie just basically came on nonstop when I was age 12-18. I probably have all the lined memorized. I have seen it at least 3 dozen times in part.

2. Can't buy me love: another one that came on a ton

3. Ferris Bueller. Came on all the time, cracks me up every time.

4. Cruel Intentions. Not sure how this became a lifetime movie, but it is!

5. Centerstage. Just love this movie. Teen drama. Dancing. Jamiroquai songs. All winning for me.

6. Fast and the Furious. Comes on all the time. I love this movie.

7. Oceans 11. One of my faves. Used to come on a lot. One of the few movies I own.

8. Drumline: I can't not watch this movie. Reminds me of being a flag girl!

9. Carrie: I can't remember how many times I have watched this. Definitely a lot. (Hated the new ones)

10. Mother May I Sleep With Danger. One of the campiest Lifetime movies ever.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:55 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Rebecca.
Mildred Pierce
The Heiress
Calamity Jane
Its a Wonderful World
Young at Heart.
Planes Trains and Automobiles
Some Like it Hot.
Vertigo
Imitation of Life

Old 06-10-2016, 12:12 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
The Blues Brothers

Old 06-10-2016, 01:59 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I find that I don't re-watch as much as I used to, and because I was in the business I've seen lots of films multiple times simply because I was doing my job. Of the films I have at home that get re-watched:

Stuntman with Peter O'Toole. The fact that the movie is circular, where the end is the beginning, the whole All Powerful god/director motif, the Jungian nods, and Barbara Hershey and O'Toole at their peak just keep me coming back. (Probably more than 100 times over the years.)

Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Nee, ping, and neeewomp. neewomp. They call me... Tim.

Casablanca (reading between the lines of the script to the darker one it started out with)

Cinema Paradiso. A bus-man's holiday. There are various cuts of this film, and if you dig around online you can see the original script. It shows how important proper editing is.

King of Hearts. Insanity of war, slapstick, and Genvieve Bujold

Moroder's version of "Metropolis." Old meets new.

Rocky Horror Especially fun after seeing the scene in "Everything You wanted to Know About Sex" with John Carradine that was the obvious inspiration.

Shakespeare in Love, which is a love it or hate it movie.

Muppet Movie. A bear in his natural habitat - a Studebaker!
(BTW, take a good look at Orson Wells as he is sizing up Kermit, then skip to the last scene in "The Force Awakens" Luke is Orson Wells?!?!?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies