Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 02:41 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,829,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S
THE THING (remake was better than the original)
THE DEPARTED
THE FLY (remake was better than the original)
KING KONG (remake was better than the original)
INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS
3:10 TO YUMA
The recent PLANET OF THE APES movies
TRUE LIES (remake was better than the original)
INSOMNIA
DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS
THE CHAMP
OCEAN'S ELEVEN
A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS
THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN
1) Havent seen it so I cant say
2) Havent seen it
3) OUUUUU I DISAGREE HERE BUD,The original IS MUCH BETTER!!
4) Same as above.......
5) Havent seen it
6) Havent seen it
7) Havent seen the original but I love the 1994 one.... (Have it recorded from analogue cable)
8 - 13) Havent seen them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 09:59 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times
Sadly I think Hollywood is out of good ideas & the majority of people are suckers these days even for remakes. Everything has been done to death all the good ideas for movies are dead. Or so it seems at the moment.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:20 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
There have been many adaptations, redos, rehashes, re-imaginings over the years. The Oz books have four: The Wizard of Oz, Return to Oz, Oz: The Great and Powerful and Legends of Oz (there's also rumors of Wicked turning into a movie too.) King Kong had a 1970's remake and its sequel King Kong Lives, some Japanese Kaiju movies (including King Kong vs. Godzilla) and a Son of Kong before the Peter Jackson King Kong and the future Kong: Skull Island. Then you have movies that were not direct like say A Cinderella Story or Lion King (Shakespeare's McBeth), or a re-imagining like Maleficent, Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters, Mirror Mirror, Snow White and the Huntsman, Alice in Wonderland, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc. It's not a new idea at all.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:19 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
There's simply too many movies getting released these days.. I get into them and get sick of them quickly... comic book/Marvel movies especially.

We live in the era of dumbed down content designed to bring in the cash, whether it's movies, music, TV, video games, or whatever.. rushed out the door, full of ads and product placements, games made overly difficult to encourage micro-transactions, the list goes on.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:21 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
There's simply too many movies getting released these days.. I get into them and get sick of them quickly... comic book/Marvel movies especially.

We live in the era of dumbed down content designed to bring in the cash, whether it's movies, music, TV, video games, or whatever.. rushed out the door, full of ads and product placements, games made overly difficult to encourage micro-transactions, the list goes on.
Dumbed down? Comics are actually very complex. Take The Flash on the CW for instance, they are introducing a LOT of time travel rules abd casualty loops IN THEIR FIRST SEASON on a broadcast network. Before you could have a Game of Thrones or True Blood on HBO and that was the only complex tv shows, now they are complex even on cable let alone broadcast.

Movies are a bit different as you can only fit so much on an hour and a half to two and a half hour movie vs. 23 half hour or hour long shows.

Music is the nature of the beast given how Napster and other file-sharing software and online streaming changed music. Why make great stuff if you are only going to be critically acclaimed but not sell enough albums to make a profit (unless you just use it as an excuse to tour.)

Old 04-24-2015, 06:11 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,139,402 times
I've hung in there with every 007 episode / movie.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:21 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,249,764 times
The original Swedish Insomnia was fantastic. Very creepy, and disorienting (to simulate the effects of sleep depravation). So was Infernal Affairs, except I also liked the remake (The Departed).

The way I see it, remakes can improve on the original, or they can give publicity to the original for those who missed it the first time. Blockbuster reboots and sequels don't necessarily bother me anymore, because there have been some interesting ideas (spearheaded by Marvel) to make them less predictable.

A few years ago, the creative output from Hollywood was grating, but things seem to be improving, from my POV.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:25 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
In terms of real quality, the movies aren't doing much these days. All the quality stories are on TV.

I read a movie critic a year or two ago who summed it up pretty well: "There were some good movies that came out last year. But I didn't see a single movie that was half as good as the last five episodes of Breaking Bad."

All the really talented writers are now working in TV, and it shows. Movies are basically manufactured product. Quality storytelling still survives on TV.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:30 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfloon View Post
I personally hate remakes most of them aren't even half way decent movies there are a few exceptions but very few. I've also never understood why they remake recent foreign language movies in english either (the girl with the dragon tatoo, the ring etc..).
This.
I feel like Holllywood writers are way too lazy to come up with new idea.
Although some of the remake are better than the original foreign one. Maybe partially due to the budget that Hollywood has.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:35 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
In terms of real quality, the movies aren't doing much these days. All the quality stories are on TV.

I read a movie critic a year or two ago who summed it up pretty well: "There were some good movies that came out last year. But I didn't see a single movie that was half as good as the last five episodes of Breaking Bad."

All the really talented writers are now working in TV, and it shows. Movies are basically manufactured product. Quality storytelling still survives on TV.
You are onto something here. But alot of times, the quality of writing is not good either on TV. Especially since alot of the TV series are created with idea in mind that they might be cancelled the next season.
One culprit that we have now is Once Upon A Time. Oh boy the inconsistencies are so glaring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies