Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 12:36 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times

Advertisements

I like Eisenberg, but I mostly just thought of him as a better version of Michael Cera - a curly-haired guy playing nerds. But I was struck by this assessment from a double review:

Eisenberg was born in Queens, but moved with his family to East Brunswick, New Jersey. His father was an academic; his mother entertained as a clown at children’s parties. Eisenberg started acting in school plays, then attended the Professional Performing Arts School, in Manhattan, and later studied anthropology at the New School. In his first great movie performance, in Noah Baumbach’s “The Squid and the Whale” (2005), he played Walt Berkman, a teen-age denizen of book-lined Park Slope, a poseur who mimicked the pompous literary opinions of his novelist father. Eisenberg demonstrated a startling originality, playing the lost adolescent in a light, glancing style, without the anguished emotionalism common to such roles. He was twenty-one, but he looked the character’s age—sixteen—and not at all like a potential movie star. Pale and slender, unmuscled, he had rather close-set blue eyes, curly brown hair, a slightly pointed jaw, and twin peaks on his upper lip, which turned out to be a gift—the mouth made it easier for him to look cocky. He also displayed an astonishing verbal speed and self-assurance, which allowed him, without breaking tempo, to emphasize key phrases and make his lines snap. And he did something canny: he didn’t exaggerate or satirize Walt’s pretensions; he played them straight, as a needy boy’s desire for approval in an intellectual family. Anyone who has ever bluffed his way through a literary conversation would have recognized himself in that character. But Walt’s quickness and his egotism—even his lies—suggested that he would learn to be a winner someday.
Eisenberg was the latest smart-boy Jewish movie actor to hit the mainstream, but he wasn’t neurotic, like the young Dustin Hoffman; or self-deprecating, like the young Woody Allen; or bumptious, like Ben Stiller. He’s openly demanding, a nerd hiding his fears behind aggression. Richard Dreyfuss did something similar, but Eisenberg is more nuanced. His indelible performance as Mark Zuckerberg, in “The Social Network,” suggested that a new kind of personality had entered the world, a code-based brainiac who deals with life as if it were data. Racing through Aaron Sorkin’s brilliant script, Eisenberg short-circuits or wrong-foots other people. Yet, on second viewing, you can see that for all his bullying speed, and the smirking put-downs, he ruffles the surface of Zuckerberg’s confidence and reveals an easily wounded temperament underneath. Eisenberg is an economical actor, often relying on no more than a flutter of his eyelids, or a half smile, or a sweet glance that shades into contempt.
He is unafraid to play jerks, solipsists, narcissists.

Disconnected Man - The New Yorker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 12:43 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
In addition to the two mentioned above, I liked him in Zombieland, The Village, The Double, Adventureland, and Night Moves.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:47 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
In addition to the two mentioned above, I liked him in Zombieland, The Village, The Double, Adventureland, and Night Moves.
Well, if you click on the link to see the source, there's a review of The Double.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:13 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
I think he's cute. I've only seen him in The Social Network though. He was good in that.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:16 PM

828 posts, read 907,865 times
He has a very charming quality to him, and yes, he telegraphs an intense brainy-but-adorable feel.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:14 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,327,951 times
I like Jesse Eisenberg, but for some reason never pictured him being nominated for an Oscar. Maybe it's because he's so young, I don't know. But I do know that I eventually have to watch The Social Network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies