Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 04:43 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,123,262 times

Advertisements

There is a new restoration of the Apu trilogy by Satyajit Ray, starting in New York, and then traveling.

In case you're not familiar with the name, Akira Kurosawa said, "Never having seen a Satyajit Ray film is like never having seen the sun or the moon."

And Roger Ebert said, “Standing above fashion, [THE APU TRILOGY] creates a world so convincing that it becomes, for a time, another life we might have lived. The three films swept the top prizes at Cannes, Venice and London, and created a new cinema for India – whose prolific film industry had traditionally stayed within the narrow confines of swashbuckling musical romances. Never before had one man had such a decisive impact on the films of his culture... It is about a time, place and culture far removed from our own, and yet it connects directly and deeply with our human feelings. It is like a prayer, affirming that this is what the cinema can be, no matter how far in our cynicism we may stray.”

There's an interesting trailer about the restoration - there had been a fire that destroyed the negatives.

If you want to watch, it's in the lower left corner:

Film Forum · All Film Trailers

If you want to see if it's playing in your city:

The Apu Trilogy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 06:37 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,123,262 times
Was just reading this editorial:

When I recently saw the newly restored versions of Satyajit Ray’s Apu Trilogy, a wave of emotion swept up over me as I watched Apu grow up...

Though I had seen them all before, I had never quite appreciated that these movies, the first of which was released in 1955, about the life of a poor family in 1920s British India could feel so universal. Perhaps I am just getting older, but the movies now convey something deeply true that was lost on me when I watched them in my 20s — the tension the characters feel between their sense of duty to tradition and family and their pursuit of personal goals.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/11/op...lage.html?_r=0

Old 06-18-2015, 07:09 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,106,137 times
If this played in my town they couldn't stop me from seeing it. .....

Play dates

Apu Trilogy Restoration

Old 06-18-2015, 07:41 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,437,036 times
Awesome, starts at the E Street June 26. Not missing this!

Old 06-29-2015, 08:31 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,437,036 times
I saw all three of these this weekend, and I highly recommend seeing this on the big screen if you can make it. I was really impressed with how how well they restored these. I remember when these played back in the early 90's I think and I didn't see them then, so I was happy to finally get a chance to see them on the big screen. The soundtrack being done my Ravi Shankar was an added bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies