Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 10:27 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Moulin Rouge...hated it
Moulin Rouge is actually a fantastic movie - BUT - you have to have the background to know and appreciate the "in" jokes and history involved, which 90% of audiences don't. For instance, the giant elephant was based on fact. There was one in France, one in New Jersey, and one that an author (Jules Verne ?) animated and had trapse through India. Baz is a brilliant showman.

I was laughing and thoroughly enjoying that movie while the audience around me was sitting like dumb (silent) mannequins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 10:54 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Moulin Rouge is actually a fantastic movie - BUT - you have to have the background to know and appreciate the "in" jokes and history involved, which 90% of audiences don't. For instance, the giant elephant was based on fact. There was one in France, one in New Jersey, and one that an author (Jules Verne ?) animated and had trapse through India. Baz is a brilliant showman.

I was laughing and thoroughly enjoying that movie while the audience around me was sitting like dumb (silent) mannequins.
I thought Nicole Kidman was terrible in it. She can't really sing. Or dance.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Same here with 'The English Patient.' It won a load of awards, and my wife and I were really looking forward to seeing it. We came out at the end, stunned by what a load of rubbish it was.
Seinfeld's episode dedicated to that movie was spot on!

Old 06-06-2015, 11:52 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

It had nothing to do with missed "in" jokes ... I just hated the frenetic style of the movie and the performances.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
It had nothing to do with missed "in" jokes ... I just hated the frenetic style of the movie and the performances.
Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet was great. Moulin Rouge was a miss for me, too. Not to mention the epic fail Epic movie Australia!

Old 06-06-2015, 04:51 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Contagion . Saw it in IMAX, So extra $$ (2 tickets to boot) spent for a movie that was as fun as watching grass grow.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:11 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Blair Witch Project - A coworker of mine said it was very scary and I like scary. It was anything but scary. Maybe she meant scary terrible.

Some others

Scandal

Contact

Hudson Hawk

Old 06-06-2015, 05:11 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Hmmmmm cant think of any!! (I didnt ever watch 2 many movies @ theaters)

Old 06-06-2015, 06:09 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Hitch!
Both my ex and I stormed out of that movie. Such a waste of time and money. Talk about dumbing down the population.
Seriously? My whole family loved that movie....I think everyone in my extended family has that DVD.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:11 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Half the movies mentioned here are among the best films around! I don't get that.

The Matrix, Juno, Wolf of Wall Street, Transformers, these are all great 4 star movies! I mean get real if that's what you think deserves a refund you are not much of a cinema fan! You clearly don't get out much. Moulin Rouge, Lincoln (though boring in many parts), and others listed are still solid, good, B-level movies. I love Dark of the Moon and saw it 3 times in theaters!

I wanted a refund on Tomorrowland, recently, that was pure garbage. Cloud Atlas sucked pretty badly too.

The rest of the stinkers that I hated I didn't pay to see or just rented on Netflix.

PS: Hitch isn't great but it's very good. Never heard of anyone not liking it... Again, really?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies