Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 01:03 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I saw that crazy movie and wish I could unsee that scene. However, I don't think they necessarily "linger" on women more. Just the logistics of what you can and can't see when a women is standing with her legs closed is a lot less gratuitous than full frontal with a dude.
I rather unsee the NPH scene from the sane movie bit not because of the sex...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 02:39 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think male nudity in mainstream films is more practical, so to speak. In Gone Girl, Ben Affleck was shown completely naked in a shower scene, but the camera didn't linger or pan up and down as it generally would if there'd been a female shower scene. It's the issue of the "male gaze" in filmmaking.

I keep hearing about that scene, either I fell asleep, which is possible, I might have nodded off in the movie or they showed and edited version in my movie theater of which I wouldn't put it past these folks out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I saw that crazy movie and wish I could unsee that scene. However, I don't think they necessarily "linger" on women more. Just the logistics of what you can and can't see when a women is standing with her legs closed is a lot less gratuitous than full frontal with a dude.
And I wish I could take it away for you and see it, but, I'm not willing to run out and rent and sit through the movie again just for that purpose.

A movie that had some interesting male scenes to a degree was "Shame," With Michael Fassbender.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:47 PM

241 posts, read 359,944 times
Lol, op its going to be a silly movie. Out of the top of my head I can think of a few movies that have some "female nudity/flesh" or sexy scenes.

Fast and Furious 7

Wolf of Wallstreet

Don Jon

Don't know if they will ever make a female version of Magic Mike, but if they do us women can't complain if our husbands/boyfriends are all grabbling to see it.

I honestly don't know why so many women are excited for this movies, it seems like it was written by men who think they know what women want by appealing to lower common denominator and of course has the stereotypical "cougar" character. Its as if older women can't express their sexuality without being portrayed as oversexed airheaded bimbos with no shame . They are also trying to spin the movie as some type of "empowerment" for women. Don't me wrong, I am no prude, and I am glad that they are starting to pander to gay male/female sexuality in movies but this movie really pisses me off for some reason. Maybe its my stripper ex that has made me cynical, because from what I have hear from my friends who watched early previews of it/other reviews it sounds awfully bad/unrealistic.

Call me cynical, but as women who dated a male stripper, the male stripping experience is anything but empowering for women. You should hear what those "sexy" male strippers think of some of their "clientele" behind close doors, hint: it ain't pretty.

I would respect the director of the film more if he was honest, the goal of the film is not about empowerment to women but rather trying to make an easy buck off of horny middle aged women by pandering to their egos.

Sadly though, for a lot of women, a two hour show with shallow characters, cringe worthy lines and little to no plot is forgivable as long as a bunch of beefcakes are dancing around in thongs grinding on overweight women. With Fifty Shades of Gray, Twilight Series, and now this, I have ask: Why can't there be any good female-focused films? True a lot films aimed at men are terrible(the transformers series comes to mind), but I rather watch those then most of the films mentioned above. Admittedly I haven't seen the new Magic Mike, but critic movie goer friend wasn't impressed, I still probably see it tomorrow despite my rant.

Last edited by MissLadyLexi25; 06-30-2015 at 07:05 PM..

Old 07-06-2015, 06:38 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Comparing the two I think the first did more to show the seedy side of the sex industry as Mike was leaving the business and his girlfriend also wanted him out. This time he was running back to the business, along with trading Matthew McConaughey for Jada Pinkett Smith MMXXL was the girl power story line and we are here as male entertainers. Judging by my wife's and the rest of the audience reaction it was the movie they wanted in the first place just as those TV audiences cheered wildly on the Donahue Show in 1979 when Chippedales dancers were first introduced after disco died and they were one night at that club replacing disco dancing and supplementing the female strippers and mud wrestlers.

While I do think there have been a few movies where women played the same role as the men in the first Magic Mike I can't see a movie like MMXXL where the genders get flipped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies