Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 12:34 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,140 times

Advertisements

Watchmen is a great movie. It's a faithful, stylish adaptation for which Snyder used the graphic novel (or series, which it originally was) as the storyboard source. It's poignant, provocative and pulls no punches. Jeffrey Dean Morgan was perfect as that bastard Comedian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 06:18 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
I haven't seen the Watchmen movie, mostly because I didn't like the comic. In fact, it's not an exaggeration to say I hated the comic. By far the most over-rated comic story of all time. Pompous writing. Navel gazing. And really, really bad coloring in the art.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:36 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,688,647 times
So, I know the premise of Batman v Superman is supposed to be based on a comic book series. I don't read comic books but the obvious question popped into my mind when I heard about this movie: how is Batman realistically any match for Superman? Batman is just a regular, well-built guy with cool toys, whereas Superman is an alien with superhuman strength, endurance and the ability to fly.

So, are we just supposed to suspend belief and assume that the outcome of a battle between these two would somehow be in doubt?

Old 07-14-2015, 09:36 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
So, I know the premise of Batman v Superman is supposed to be based on a comic book series. I don't read comic books but the obvious question popped into my mind when I heard about this movie: how is Batman realistically any match for Superman? Batman is just a regular, well-built guy with cool toys, whereas Superman is an alien with superhuman strength, endurance and the ability to fly.

So, are we just supposed to suspend belief and assume that the outcome of a battle between these two would somehow be in doubt?
This is based off in heart of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns though it doesn't seem like a direct remake of it. Just as Age of Ultron was more based off of Ultron Unleaded as a storyline rather than the Age of Ultron storyline.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:44 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,140 times
Batman v. Superman, like Nolan's movies, isn't based on any one story, but elements of many stories. In this case, Zack is a huge fan of Frank Miller's seminal 1986 work, The Dark Knight Returns. The new Batman (Ben Affleck) is based on that Batman, being older (40) than Bale's but still much younger than the one in that book, who is 55. Zack said in 2013 that tonally the movie's Batman will be in line with TDKR Batman. He's taken the premise and played with it. Instead of Superman being sent after Batman by the government, we'll see Bruce Wayne track down Kal-el and take him on with an armored Batsuit modeled after the one in TDKR. Kryptonite will no doubt figure into the conflict, but the outcome of BvS (which also features Wonder Woman) will be very different.

I have a feeling this movie is going to knock it out of the park.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I don't read comic books but the obvious question popped into my mind when I heard about this movie: how is Batman realistically any match for Superman? Batman is just a regular, well-built guy with cool toys, whereas Superman is an alien with superhuman strength, endurance and the ability to fly.
Superman has a really big Achilles Heel: kryptonite. Drop a nugget of Kryptonite down his shirt, and Pee Wee Herman could beat him up.

And Superman's style of fighting is checkers. Batman plays chess. See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5UJ9evRPfE

Old 07-14-2015, 11:35 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,688,647 times
The Kryptonite thing is nice if Batman knows that ahead of time and has it with him to use against Superman. If he doesn't, then he would have no realistic shot against Superman.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:59 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,522,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

And Superman's style of fighting is checkers. Batman plays chess. See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5UJ9evRPfE

Excellent point! Batman has ALWAYS been a step or two ahead of everyone he comes up against.
Superman has always counted on his strength to pull him though. Batman has no problem playing dirty Clarks parents made him naïve when it came to such things.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
The Kryptonite thing is nice if Batman knows that ahead of time and has it with him to use against Superman. If he doesn't, then he would have no realistic shot against Superman.
Batman's greatest weapon is his mind. He's a chess player. He's not only two steps ahead of his opponent, he's probably five steps ahead. So yeah, he will know about kryptonite.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:02 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
But is it something they find, create or what. We only see Luthor with it so who knows what will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies