Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2016, 08:25 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,522,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Its a movie about comic book character heroes. I never read comics, other than a cursory look literally a handful of times, so, I'm no expert on the subjects. But, I saw it last night and I thought it was good.

And I believe this is why the movie is going to make a killing at the box office. For non-comic book readers they are going to eat it up. As for those of us who do read we want to see if DC has pulled something out of their hats that we will like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 08:36 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Worst film with Batman…ever. Unlike Batman & Robin which was bad in a way that you could laugh at it (dumb puns, bat nipples, etc.), this was just a massive headache. It’s extremely slow with no likeable characters and it over relies on CGI.

Batman was a psychotic idiot.
Superman had the personality of a wall.
Lex Luthor was a clown instead of a charismatic evil genius.
Lois Lane was okay.
Wonder Woman was just there.

^ This about sums it up perfectly here.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:40 PM

12,381 posts, read 8,134,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Batman vs Superman never made much sense to me. Superman is pretty much invincible where Batman is far from it. Superman would have destroyed Batman without busting a sweat, in both sense of the word.

Superman vs Hulk, now that would have been awesome.
Superman, like Batman, at least before this never went in to kill and Superman has one very well known Achilles Heel. In one of the source graphic novels and in the move Batman was able to exploit it

Old 03-26-2016, 09:01 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,168 times
I'm... disappointed. Had it received great critical acclaim I'd have seen it already, but after seeing the bad reviews on Wednesday, it put me off. I'm a fan of MoS, and I really enjoy Snyder's movies. I was growing more and more excited about BvS since the first trailer debuted. I love both DC and Marvel, and have been rooting for DC's big, critically acclaimed hit that nails it. Ugh. BvS didn't do that, apparently.

We all know Snyder is known for his stylized action spectacles and the overall polish and aesthetic of his movies. He's not great at storytelling, but c'mon, this is supposed to be a grand spectacle and great movie with iconic characters. I like dark, gritty and moody, but I know, based on the reviews, that the storytelling is all over the place, disjointed and this iteration of Lex just doesn't work (I sensed this early on). And WW was just in there to look pretty in evening gowns and show her stuff at the end... to set up her movie.

I suspect that I'll enjoy it, find it entertaining, but won't see it as a great film. My husband and I just finished watching a Schmoes Know spoiler-free review. This was just a set up for the rest of the DCEU movies. *sigh*

Hopefully Ayer will nail it with Suicide Squad.

And I'll leave y'all with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwXfv25xJUw

Old 03-26-2016, 10:57 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,616,067 times
It's no coincidence the last part of the movie was the most exciting and much better than the "all over the place" and at times boring first act.

Because the last part was clear cut, multiple battles between different characters. There was no longer any need to try to put together a coherent plot line.

As one person mentioned in a link I posted, did we really need to see Bruce Wayne's parents being gunned down yet again? A lot of fluff and filler like that, that ambles the plot along until the real action begins.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:51 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,524,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I'm... disappointed. Had it received great critical acclaim I'd have seen it already, but after seeing the bad reviews on Wednesday, it put me off. I'm a fan of MoS, and I really enjoy Snyder's movies. I was growing more and more excited about BvS since the first trailer debuted. I love both DC and Marvel, and have been rooting for DC's big, critically acclaimed hit that nails it. Ugh. BvS didn't do that, apparently.

We all know Snyder is known for his stylized action spectacles and the overall polish and aesthetic of his movies. He's not great at storytelling, but c'mon, this is supposed to be a grand spectacle and great movie with iconic characters. I like dark, gritty and moody, but I know, based on the reviews, that the storytelling is all over the place, disjointed and this iteration of Lex just doesn't work (I sensed this early on). And WW was just in there to look pretty in evening gowns and show her stuff at the end... to set up her movie.

I suspect that I'll enjoy it, find it entertaining, but won't see it as a great film. My husband and I just finished watching a Schmoes Know spoiler-free review. This was just a set up for the rest of the DCEU movies. *sigh*

Hopefully Ayer will nail it with Suicide Squad.

And I'll leave y'all with this:
Fans give the movie an 80%, critics give it a 30%, When ever there is a gap that big, then the best thing you can do is ignore everyone and go see it yourself.

But to touch on what the critics are saying.

The storyline is not all over the place, they just dont flush it out as well as they should there are parts where you are guessing that you shouldnt have to, but you end up understanding anyways. It is true that Wonder Women doesnt need to be in this film, she is there for show, And that being said, neither does Lex Luthor. The story line of the film could have happened without him minus the final battle, which i would have been fine with losing as well.

Also, the movie is not like the trailer, so dont let that fool you, a lot of the things in the trailer are dreams or flash forwards, so what you think will happen, doesnt.

I think the 80% fans are giving it is a better interpretation than the 30% its getting from critics.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:15 AM

951 posts, read 1,139,812 times
Loved it. Was seriously expecting it to be really bad the day they announced they would make this movie. I went in having very low expectations, but came out alive, liking the three even more, and super stoked for the next one. I didn't like MoS, thought the chemistry between Lois and Supes wasn't that great in MoS, but really liked them both in BvS. I liked Affleck as Batman/Wayne and Gadot was badass. That entry. I didn't care why it didn't make sense why WW was there. The fan girl in me clapped at the end, seemed like I was the first/only one to do it, then I heard others started to clap as well.

Some favorite scenes: (spoilers)
-The bats bringing little Bruce up.
-Court room blowing up and the sympathy I felt for Superman when the camera zoomed to only him, knowing he'd be the only one alive, and that he just got set up again.
-Seeing Diana, Clark, and Bruce all at the party.
-The whole mother and only son thing.
-WW entry.
-Superman saying "I love you, you are my world" to Lois, knowing he may not come back. He did a similar goodbye thing in Superman Returns, and the way he looks at her, you just know that man loves that woman. They have the best superhero romantic relationship.
-The ending. I knew that Superman may die because it was written in the comics with Doomsday, but he comes back, so I was expecting a cliffhanger the entire time afterwards. Kept wondering when are they going to hint him coming back??? Is the coffin going to show a missing body like Christ? Finally, the last second, the dirt lifts up!

A little sad that my favorite superhero won't be the leader in JL and his light dimmed by a more popular Batman, but just happy I even get to see him on screen at all.

Going to watch it again today. By myself.

Last edited by AhRainess; 03-27-2016 at 02:25 AM..

Old 03-27-2016, 10:39 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

The storyline is not all over the place,
It really is. Half a dozen plotlines are introduced and immediately dropped without resolution, primary characters' motivations/intentions make no sense(Batman, Luthor), at least 15 minutes of the running time is pure sequel bait that detracts from the plot, and none of the major comic-based parts are earned.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:24 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
That's funny, but that seems like an unfair assessment, especially considering what The Force Awakens turned out to be.
How does The Force Awakens have anything at all to do with BvS???

I'm getting the impression that you are reluctantly admitting to yourself that BvS was a disappointment, and your reaction is to point out the shortcomings of other movies. That's fine. TFA certainly had some pretty big weaknesses, but that has nothing at all to do with BvS.

Quote:
Zack is doing the same thing Nolan did: adapting the stories, just not uber-literally.
Yep. Zack just doesn't do it very well.

Honestly, I had made up my mind to see BvS in the theater up until a couple of weeks ago. Then I re-watched Man of Steel, which I had enjoyed in the theater. But upon second viewing, I liked it a whole lot less. I never liked the latter half. But upon second viewing I realized the first half wasn't all that great either. MoS certainly had a few great moments. But a few great moments don't make a great movie. Certainly not one I'm willing to spend $70 to see. I'll catch BvS on DVD.

Quote:
Check out Hap & Leonard. You may like it.
I'm definitely curious. I have enjoyed some of Joe Lansdale's books. But I don't get the Sundance channel. So again ... waiting for the DVD.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:49 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I'm getting the impression that you are reluctantly admitting to yourself that BvS was a disappointment
Not at all, buddy. Not at all. Going to see it again today.

You know, you don't have to spend $70 to see it. You can spend $11. Take a "long lunch."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
But I don't get the Sundance channel.
Come on, Marcus, time to retire the rabbit ears.

Kidding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies