Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 12:36 PM

22,844 posts, read 28,084,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Suicide Squad (until seeing Doctor Strange the opening segment was the most comic book stuff I've seen on the big screen) BUT why a sequel?
Doc Terminus knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya7mwQYeICQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 09:25 PM

17,720 posts, read 13,432,092 times
It was much better then we thought it would be didn't care for that version of the Joker we thought Harley Quinn stole the movie.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:40 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,579,038 times
Harley, Deadshot and Amanda Waller were far and away the best things about the movie. El Diablo was cool, too.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:29 PM

I finally watched this last night. I saw the Extended Cut, not the theatrical release.

Meh.

The cast was really, really good. Excellent in fact. Every one of them. Too bad the script never let their characters make any sense at all.

Some really great technical filmmaking in terms of direction, staging, cinematography, etc. Just some really beautiful camera work in this movie. But again, the story it was filming was basically empty.

The movie had three major flaws that kept it form ever taking off:

First, too many characters in too little time. We never really got to know any of the characters because the story was trying to introduce so many. We were introduced to the squad. We never got to know any of them.

The villain. Another evil dark lord wanting to take over the world for no apparent reason. And the heroes defeat her with fisticuffs. Again. I know it's a staple of comic book stories, but it's time to find a new staple. Really, really, really.

The idiot plot. (See Idiot Plot - TV Tropes ). Almost every major turn in the story's plot or development in character involved one or more of the characters having no common sense whatsoever. From the minor details (Why is the vat that "created" the Joker still laying around for Harley to dive into?) to the blatantly obvious (a corrupt guard handing Harley Quinn a cell phone and discussing the matter in plain sight of a dozen other armed guards, and not a one of them notices).

Old 04-10-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
First, too many characters in too little time. We never really got to know any of the characters because the story was trying to introduce so many. We were introduced to the squad. We never got to know any of them.
Not true. The characters who received the most development: Harley and Deadshot. They were the ones I looked forward to the most, along with Katana. I would've liked for Boomerang to get some more development (and action). But the two most important characters were emphasized above the others. Amanda Waller was pretty much in line with the comic. Slipknot was cannon fodder. The rest were there for the action. Katana's intro was different from the comic, where she's an initial member. I look forward to seeing more of her.

In hindsight, I admit I'd have rather had a Squad movie sans Joker. But the cameos by Batman and Flash were next to perfect. It's over, Deadshot!

Old 04-11-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Not true. The characters who received the most development: Harley and Deadshot.
They did receive the most, but still not nearly enough.

Why was Deadshot (a devoted dad who seems like a decent guy) also a ruthless killer? Who did he spend all those years killing? Is he sorry? If he does get out, does he want to change his ways or go back to killing? Why the silly mask? What does he want?

Why does Harley love Joker? Why does Joker love Harley? Why was that vat of chemicals still laying around completely unprotected? (Where are you, OSHA???) How does a psychologist suddenly learn gymnastics, martial arts, and proficiency with a seriously large revolver? If what she really wants is a quiet life and kids, then why is she so devoted to Joker, who will never give her any of those things? Is Harley really, really bad, or is she just obnoxious and co-dependant? What does she want?

The lists are longer for all the other characters.

It's obvious there was a great movie in here somewhere, but the director never managed to uncover it. Maybe the studio monkeyed with it too much? Maybe he bit off more than he could chew? I don't know. But the end result was a half-formed mud of a movie.

Future directors who want to tackle "team" movies of this sort need to go back and watch how the Masters did it, how they told us everything we needed to know and care about a group of characters in as few scenes as possible. Movies like Seven Samurai, The Magnificent Seven, The Dirty Dozen, Kelly's Heroes, or the first STAR WARS. Even Oceans Eleven did a better job at this than Suicide Squad.

And yes, you're right. There was no reason at all for the Joker to have been in this movie.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:01 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,249,164 times
I saw Suicide Squad on HBO just now. I'm not a comic fanatic like most here. I personally liked Batman vs. Superman and I loved Suicide Squad! Other than that the only other comic movies I like are X-Men and Spider Man (Tobie McGriure).

Old 04-17-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Not true. The characters who received the most development: Harley and Deadshot.
Help me out here, because maybe I missed it: Why was Harley on the team at all?

A guy who never missed a shot? Makes sense. A guy who is a walking flamethrower? Makes sense. Even a guy who is really good with a boomerang and a crocodile man? Okay, I guess. But what does Harley bring to the team? She hits things with a bat and looks very good in short shorts. Why is she even there?

Old 04-19-2017, 07:58 AM

9,732 posts, read 9,687,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Help me out here, because maybe I missed it: Why was Harley on the team at all?

A guy who never missed a shot? Makes sense. A guy who is a walking flamethrower? Makes sense. Even a guy who is really good with a boomerang and a crocodile man? Okay, I guess. But what does Harley bring to the team? She hits things with a bat and looks very good in short shorts. Why is she even there?
She was the only reason I wasted 2 hours trying to watch this trainwreck of movie. I could not follow it at all.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:49 AM

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/suici...-sales-a150550
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies