Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2016, 01:21 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I know I'm nitpicking, but I hate nits so here goes:

Those first 4 weren't strictly "Marvel movies." They were licensed out to other studios. IRON MAN was actually the first true "Marvel movie."

Batman Begins was okay, but I never saw the love myself. The Dark Knight remains the best live action movie DC has done. The Dark Knight Rises was a desecration. Joseph Gordon Levitt was the only redeeming quality of that otherwise horrible movie.
Not to nitpick your nitpicking, but Deadpool isn't a Marvel movie either. Same studio that makes X-Men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 01:30 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
And the hits just keep coming:

Suicide Squad*Might Not Make It to China, and That's Probably Not Great

Old 08-05-2016, 01:31 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Not to nitpick your nitpicking, but Deadpool isn't a Marvel movie either. Same studio that makes X-Men.
Very true. I sat through Deadpool once, but I won't do it again. I think a 14 year old wrote that movie.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:36 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times
Now let's try something more fact-based on for size...like Thursday's record being broken!

'Suicide Squad' Set for August Opening Record Despite Negative Reviews - Box Office Mojo

Quote:
FRIDAY AM UPDATE #2: Internationally, Suicide Squad is now up to $29.6 million after two days in release in 40 overseas markets. Yesterday it opened in Russia with an estimated $3.9 million, the industry's biggest opening day of all-time. In Australia it saw an estimated $2.4 million on its opening day from 516 screens, which includes $350,000 from midnight shows. In Brazil it brought in an estimated $3 million on its opening day and after opening yesterday in South Korea it is now up to $4.7 million after two days in release and $4.2 million in France after its first two days.

The film expands into an additional 17 territories today, including the UK, Spain and Mexico.

FRIDAY AM UPDATE: Suicide Squad got off to a strong start last night, pulling in $20.5 million from Thursday night preview screenings nearly doubling the previous August record of $11.2 million set by Guardians of the Galaxy back in 2014 before it opened with $94.3 million, the current August opening weekend record. Suicide Squad screenings started at approximately 6 PM and took place in 3,700+ locations. The total includes IMAX screenings which grossed $2.4m.

Suicide Squad's Thursday preview number is the 13th largest of all-time (including midnight's)*, just ahead of The Hunger Games ($19.7m from midnight screenings at ~2,500 locations) and just behind Man of Steel ($21m / $9m from midnight screenings and $12m from Thursday night). Considering the comparisons made to Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice in our weekend preview below it's best we mention Batman v Superman brought in $27.7 million from Thursday previews back in March before opening with $166 million.
17 more territories...doesn't that rhyme with "cha-ching!"

Old 08-05-2016, 01:38 PM

By the way, I saw the movie last night, and yes, I liked it! Nearly a full house (I didn't go to a 3-D screening) and the audience was into it.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:10 PM

406 posts, read 288,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Why do you think they did that? Because general audiences were unfamiliar with those characters outside Captain America (who hadn't even had a movie in 20 years, and a cheesy one, at that). Thor? Ant-Man? The bleepin' Guardians? Nobody outside Marvel readers knew those characters before their movies.

With many of their most famous properties tied up with two other studios, Marvel opened a line of credit (that sounds funny, but it's not a joke) in order to finance Iron Man. You can pretty much give Robert Downey, Jr. most of the credit for people liking the movie. He doesn't act like the Tony Stark of the comics, but nobody cared — because nobody was familiar with him.
Pause. Faithful characterization is a criticism not unique to DC, it is born out of anything that has precedent in film, comic books, novels, and history. Not only is it disingenuous, but you would be mistaken, to suggest that all moviegoers -the general audience- are familiar with the essence of DC characters, much less watched those shows or even read those comics.

Faithful characterization isn't the be all end all of what imperils or dooms DC films, and certainly not more so than storytelling, coherence, character appeal, cast performance, etc.

Quote:
Sure, there are probably a few instances where critics who didn't like the movie aren't familiar with its comic book source material. But it's not like critics can't appreciate a good story about a subject they're not an expert in. Critics didn't need to be fans of Irish immigration to America in the '40s and '50s to appreciate Brooklyn, nor did they require in-depth knowledge of the Catholic Church sex abuse scandal to fully appreciate Oscar Best Picture winner Spotlight.

Meanwhile, it's patronizing to suggest that comic book fans' taste level is at odds with cultural criticism — that they'll ignore Batman v Superman's clunky dialogue or strange editing because they're so passionate about the story. And Snyder displays a weird flash of cultural ignorance in expressing the belief that a passion for comic books yields lenience, because it appears he underestimates how much superhero comic books defined the childhood realities of the fans he's supposedly appealing to.
Batman v Superman

Quote:
7 out of 10 people disagree, according to IMDb. "7 out of 10" = majority, right? Btw, Man of Steel outgrossed the first four (pre-Avengers) MCU films. BvS didn't crack a billion like people said it would, but it still outgrossed everything-MCU except the three Avengers films (yes, that includes Civil War) and Iron Man 3, which rode the wake of Avengers (2012). And that movie (IM3) turned out to be a very messy, very disappointing affair like its predecessor.
Seriously, IMDb is not even in the same league as Rotten Tomatoes.

Batman and Superman are two of the most recognizable and iconic superheroes in the world! Much is expected. Man of Steel was Superman's 6th and highest grossing film, yet performed within $80m of the first Iron Man film, the B-List superhero (formerly, of course). It is to Marvel's credit that they can turn B-List and obscure comic book characters into mainstream's most popular brands.

Quote:
No, some of them suck, but at this point you can't even pay a Marvel fanboy to admit that.
oh the irony

Old 08-05-2016, 02:21 PM

406 posts, read 288,497 times
Quote:
Now let's try something more fact-based on for size...like Thursday's record being broken!

'Suicide Squad' Set for August Opening Record Despite Negative Reviews - Box Office Mojo

17 more territories...doesn't that rhyme with "cha-ching!"
That depends. A box office record for an opening weekend in August pales in comparison to the significance of holding power in the weekends after. Remember, BvS broke a record, but dipped 60-80% every weekend afterwards.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
That depends. A box office record for an opening weekend in August pales in comparison to the significance of holding power in the weekends after. Remember, BvS broke a record, but dipped 60-80% every weekend afterwards.
And still made more its second and third weekends than many other films. Hey, 870 million ain't too shabby for the second DCEU episode. #1 on home video for the second week now, too.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Seriously, IMDb is not even in the same league as Rotten Tomatoes.
Do you know why I prefer to use it? Because the RT critic score, not audience score, is the one so frequently cited. It's like people can't differentiate between the two. Please tell me how a mundane film like Ant-Man has 81%.

Quote:
oh the irony
You sure?

Superman—a flawed classic.
Superman II—very good, entertaining performances, but it hasn't aged as well.
Superman III—average, but entertaining.
Superman IV—let's not go there.

Swamp Thing—a campy "so bad it's good" '80s relic.
(Let's not bother with the sequel.)

Batman—a beloved CBM that mixes the camp of Adam West's Batman with Miller's TDKR.
Batman Returns—I've come to actually despise this film. I never feel like watching it.
Batman Forever—fun popcorn flick, but why the Batnips?
Batman & Robin—literally one of the worst CBMs out there, and the worst Batman/Bruce Wayne (and Batsuit) ever.

Batman Begins—the best origin film of a major character.
The Dark Knight—a truly excellent endeavor, with the greatest villain portrayal ever.
The Dark Knight Rises—beautifully photographed, but it could have been better; was hoping for better fight choreography and for JGL to don the cowl in a nod to the Knightfall storyline.

Superman Returns—a big budget retread that was completely unnecessary, and one that left WB with a very large bill.

Green Lantern—good intentions, but a complete misfire...starting with the script. The unfinished FX didn't help, either. But RR wasn't a bad Hal. Still, a bad film.

[DCEU begins]

Man of Steel—a superb reboot that we finally got, and apparently a lot of people weren't ready for (even though we got the nostalgia trip with the other movie, and it wasn't a hit).
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice—a great and apparently misunderstood film that introduced Wonder Woman and the best big screen Batman yet.
Suicide Squad—a stylish, action-heavy romp that brings more great characters into the DCEU and delivers exactly what it promises.

Your turn.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:57 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,496 times
Quote:
And still made more its second and third weekends than many other films. Hey, 870 million ain't too shabby for the second DCEU episode. #1 on home video for the second week now, too.
Other films....what films though? We are talking MCU vs DCEU here. Sorry, MCU is a lot more successful, and you know it, both financially and in regards to quality. Growing up there were only two comic book heros/team I followed: X-Men and Batman. This is because I was a kid in the 90s and both of their animated series had me drawn in. I don't like the Avengers and I don't like the Justice League. I am not a comic book person, and again I am just limited to X-Men and Batman.

With that being said, X-Men isn't part of the current MCU, and while I haven't seen all the MCU films, I am attracted to them more because of quality. As much as I love Batman, I didn't want to see BvS because Man of Steel was so booooooring, and everyone who saw BvS told me it sucked (and these are comic book fanatics). I was dragged to see it by my brother, and yup it sucked. I was actually drawn in to see Suicide Squad, but my brother saw it today and told me it sucked as well. Due to Man of Steel and BvS being such disappointments, I'll probably wait to see Suicide Squad when it's on DVD. And this is the problem of DCEU, the quality is just not there.

On the other hand, I could give two ****s about the Avengers, could care less about any characters on the team, yet because the films were so well done and written, they pulled me in. I am still not an Avengers fan by any means, but I really enjoyed the Avengers and Civil War, even though I didn't know too well who half the characters were.

It's the quality that matters to me and I think to the general move audience who aren't comic book movie fans. After the asbysmal Batman sequels in the 90s. Comic book movies were given new life primarily through X-Men and the Spiderman movies. Those showed that quality was just as important in regards to story, acting, visual effects, etc. The same can be said for Nolan's Batman Trilogy.

So with that being said the standards for comic book movies are now high, and MCU either meets those standards or just hovers a little below them. DCEU though at best is as good as MCU's mediocre to poor films. Quality is a big problem with DCEU. So far for me DCEU is 0/3 which means movies like the Justice League or Wonder Woman, unless they get rave reviews, I sure as hell won't be seeing them in the theatre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies