Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 09:16 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,657,665 times

Advertisements

Rocky III better than the first two.
Silence of the Lambs
Superman II
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 09:51 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,494,431 times
harry potter
it went good->better->they grew up and aren't cute anymore->bad->just finish series already...

Old 07-15-2015, 04:21 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,534,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
harry potter
it went good->better->they grew up and aren't cute anymore->bad->just finish series already...
I was a big fan of the harry potter books ( got them for my daughter and got hooked myself lol )
I do admire a lot about the movies, the fact that JK Rowling stayed in control meant the movies never strayed too far from the book in any way and she knew which scenes were important because she knew what would happen in the next books, but I do have to say that I felt many of the movies were made for the fans not the rest of the viewers, my father who did not really read the books had to keep asking me to explain what was happening in the later movies, and sometimes while I love the British Harry and his friends in the later movie were often talking so fast and so softly at times and with such a thick accent I had trouble understanding some of what they were saying. I still loved it but I do agree there should have been a few changes.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:09 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,221,484 times
Death Wish 3 is the best of that series by far. Bronson is really down to business in cleaning up East New York.

Rocky 3 was the equal to the first of that series.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:15 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,064,065 times
The Godfather II
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
The ones I have seen that I think are just as good as thier first:

Star Wars 2: The Empire strikes back
Terminator 2
Star Trek 2: The wrath of Khan
Back to the future 2
OOh I dunno about that. I love Back To The Future.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:24 PM

17,451 posts, read 15,036,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with Secret of the Ooze
Well, that's about like saying a root canal was better than a colonoscopy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Back to the future 2
I'd disagree on that.. I am a huge fan of the BttF trilogy.. But the original was a classic. The sequels, while entertaining and good.. Don't measure up to the first one. I'll agree with you on the rest of your list, though.

I'll throw one out there that hasn't been mentioned.. Austin Powers:The Spy who Shagged Me vs the original Austin Powers international Man of Mystery.. I'm not sold on that, but.. I could entertain the argument over it.. The third one was just a rehash of the second, so... Not a fan of that.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:29 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,242,756 times
Desperado (1995) is absolutely better than El Mariachi (1992).

Old 07-19-2015, 08:33 PM

21,402 posts, read 10,480,633 times
Terminator 2
Shrek 2
Austin Powers:The Spy Who Shagged Me

Old 07-20-2015, 06:51 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,376,901 times
I preferred "Goldfinger" over "Dr. No".

Old 07-21-2015, 04:52 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,588,847 times
Sequels I disagree with, per this thread:

Death Wish 2 — I'm a diehard Bronson fan, and this is a great movie (and franchise) on par with the first...not better nor worse, but equally enjoyable.

The Empire Strikes Back, etc. —I'm one of those guys that believe Star Wars was originally intended to be a standalone film, and everything that came after was grafted on (the first movie is structured and written exactly like a one-off). In retrospect, Return of the Jedi is a pile of crap.

Mad Max sequels — I love all of these movies: they're interconnected, independent stories in George Miller's apocalyptic universe (I will fess up to my favorites being The Road Warrior and Fury Road).

Any Raiders of the Lost Ark sequel — none of them measure up to the brilliance of the first.

Rocky sequels — there are multiple reasons why the very first film is almost universally regarded as the best one. The next two movies are great movies, but I don't think they're necessarily better, just branches off the same tree.

Any Terminator sequel — there may be more action, better special effects, and more explosions, but the stories aren't as good.

The Thing — John Carpenter's 1982 movie isn't a remake nor a sequel to the 1951 movie, it's an independent production based on the novella Who Goes There? Carpenter's movie remains one of my favorites, while the 2011 remake of his movie, which masqueraded as a prequel, is a Thing-sized heap of shoddy filmmaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies