Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 10:11 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
ComingSoon isn't so reliable, there's another very clickbait comic book movie news website that I can't recall but is even worse. The only reliable source I've seen is SlashFilms but their article looks like rumor editorial (similar to a Tumblr fancasting) based on some truth from the cited source and IGN who is known for mostly posting truthful stories. I am still taking this with a grain of salt until there is a credible source of it.
Since I'm not particularly a fan of either Gambit or Channing Tatum, I have a hard time caring.

Honestly, even though I have enjoyed most of the X-Men movies, I'm ready for Fox to give them up and let Marvel have them back. It's a cryin' shame that the Avengers can't meet the X-Men or Wolverine can't fight Hulk onscreen.

If the FF flick is as big of a bomb as I'm afraid it's going to be, I hope Marvel gets those rights back right away. The FF is the first family of Marvel, but no one can seem to get the movie right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 10:50 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,608,709 times
Quote:
Antman was great
Have yet to see Antman, however I just viewed Antboy last night on Netflix -- which I was hoping had something to do with Antman -- but it doesn't seem to be related. The exception being that the 12-year-old boy (Pelle) gets bitten by a scientifically enhanced ant, and he subsequently develops superpowers.

It was a decent enough flick. There was a scientifically enhanced enemy as well (Flea), plus there apparently is an Antboy 2. The movie was made in Denmark, and was overdubbed in English.

Antboy: Film Review - The Hollywood Reporter

Old 07-29-2015, 11:09 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Have yet to see Antman, however I just viewed Antboy last night on Netflix -- which I was hoping had something to do with Antman -- but it doesn't seem to be related. The exception being that the 12-year-old boy (Pelle) gets bitten by a scientifically enhanced ant, and he subsequently develops superpowers.
It was a decent enough flick. There was a scientifically enhanced enemy as well (Flea),
It sounds like an Asylum Films mockbuster when a Spider-Man movie comes out

Old 07-29-2015, 12:15 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Since I'm not particularly a fan of either Gambit or Channing Tatum, I have a hard time caring.

Honestly, even though I have enjoyed most of the X-Men movies, I'm ready for Fox to give them up and let Marvel have them back. It's a cryin' shame that the Avengers can't meet the X-Men or Wolverine can't fight Hulk onscreen.

If the FF flick is as big of a bomb as I'm afraid it's going to be, I hope Marvel gets those rights back right away. The FF is the first family of Marvel, but no one can seem to get the movie right.
As I've many times, several times to you even, the X-Men are better off on their own because they weren't always in the thick of things with the Avengers. Maybe just Wolverine and Beast but for the most part, Wolverine is the only one who plays a big role. The Fantastic Four, I agree with though I actually like the look and tone of this version to be quite honest. I would be saddened if it bombs (though it would be funny as Fox already double-downed with an announced sequel date in 2017.)
To tie back to Ant-Man, the listed Fantastic Four budget is 122 million, while Ant-Man's was $130 million just 8 million more. If Fantastic Four comes out long enough after Jurassic World and is good (I've heard things that worry me like when the review embargo is lifted so I don't know,) it could be a better box office draw. Unlike Guardians of the Galaxy with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fantastic Four, really don't have an opposing action film. Man from U.N.C.L.E. looks good but would it be what Pixels was to Ant-Man, I don't think so.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
As I've many times, several times to you even, the X-Men are better off on their own because they weren't always in the thick of things with the Avengers. Maybe just Wolverine and Beast but for the most part, Wolverine is the only one who plays a big role.
You're showing your age, friend. When I was growing up reading comics ('70s and '80s), crossovers were a constant thing. Not only were there mutants in the Avengers, but the X-Men, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Defenders, etc., etc. would sometimes team up and sometimes fight against each other. It was a big part of what made the Marvel universe great.

Quite honestly, putting Wolverine in the Avengers was one of Marvel's more bone-headed moves in the past 10 years. I know why they did it. Wolverine is Marvel's second most popular character, always guaranteed to sell. They wanted to boost Avengers sales, so they put Wolverine in. But it just doesn't fit his character. It would be like casting Charles Bronson as a mild-mannered florist. Wolverine is at his best when he isn't a team player and he's always on the verge of walking away to do his own thing. Part of the reason he was so fun in the X-Men was that he was the outsider.

Quote:
The Fantastic Four, I agree with though I actually like the look and tone of this version to be quite honest. I would be saddened if it bombs.
Me, too. Don't get me wrong. I'm not hoping it will bomb. I'm hoping it will be FANTASTIC! But based on the previews I've seen so far, I'm doubtful.

The thing Marvel is doing right with all of the Avengers and Avengers-related films and with Guardians of the Galaxy is the motto: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. These characters have been beloved for 40+ years. A movie ought to stay true to what made them beloved. But with the Fantastic Four movies, it seems as if the studios motto is, "The first thing we ought to do is change everything that made these characters so great." It's like the studio is half-ashamed of them.

I mean ... Doctor Doom. One of the all-time great villains of pop culture. He was Darth Vader before there was a Darth Vader. But the movies just can't get him right, because they seem embarrassed to make him what he is. Doom is not smarmy. He isn't a weasel. He does not defer to his inferiors --- and he sees everyone as inferior. Doom crushes his enemies, sees them driven before him, and listens to the lamentations of the women.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:25 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,614,820 times
Quote:
You're showing your age, friend. When I was growing up reading comics ('70s and '80s), crossovers were a constant thing. Not only were there mutants in the Avengers, but the X-Men, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Defenders, etc., etc. would sometimes team up and sometimes fight against each other. It was a big part of what made the Marvel universe great.
Crossovers were like the Soup of the Day. Mutants and Avengers, and their enemies, constantly mingled and got into dust-ups. One of the best Avengers stories was in an Annual (#10, IIRC, I don't have it, uh, handy) where they took on the Brotherhood of Evil [Mutants]. Under an awful Al Milgrom (as in "The Milgrom Hotel" ) cover, it had delicious art by Michael Golden under.

Okay, here it is.

Quote:
Quite honestly, putting Wolverine in the Avengers was one of Marvel's more bone-headed moves in the past 10 years. I know why they did it. Wolverine is Marvel's second most popular character, always guaranteed to sell. They wanted to boost Avengers sales, so they put Wolverine in. But it just doesn't fit his character. It would be like casting Charles Bronson as a mild-mannered florist. Wolverine is at his best when he isn't a team player and he's always on the verge of walking away to do his own thing. Part of the reason he was so fun in the X-Men was that he was the outsider.
Or Tom Hanks as The Punisher.

Quote:
I mean ... Doctor Doom. One of the all-time great villains of pop culture. He was Darth Vader before there was a Darth Vader. But the movies just can't get him right, because they seem embarrassed to make him what he is. Doom is not smarmy. He isn't a weasel. He does not defer to his inferiors --- and he sees everyone as inferior. Doom crushes his enemies, sees them driven before him, and listens to the lamentations of the women.
Hears the lamentations, baby! One of my favorite lines, from one of my favorite films, that also happens to have my single favorite orchestral film score.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:00 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
I grew up on X-Men in the 1990's and honestly the most crossovers they have done was say Age of Apocalypse (which had other Marvel characters in it,) Days of Future Past (though most of the non-mutants was dead and Franklin Richards was the only one who wasn't,) Days of Future Present (with the Fantastic Four,) Fall of the Mutants (Power Pack was directly in the arc but tie-ins existed for other heroes as well,) Inferno (which involved a Hobgoblin) and the Mutant Massacre (with Thor helping out.) Since 2006, they have been much more in line with other Marvel Cross-overs including House of M and Decimation, Civil War (though that was just Wolverine, the X-Men dealt with their own issues in wake of Decimation,) Avengers vs. X-men (which introduced the Uncanny Avengers as a team of Avengers with former X-Men,) Battle of the Atom (which introduced the Kitty Pryde-Peter Quill relationship,) AXIS and the Black Vortex. Honestly, I don't need to see most of these done the way they were done exactly. I like the way the X-Men movies are done and honestly I think they would make the MCU too big and also the X-Men would need to be ret-conned in (IMO an X-Men movie would perfectly fit-in along with Ant-Man to lead to Civil War but that can't happen within months especially with four planned Fox movies over the next twenty months.) The Fantastic Four is easy to do as you can have Reed Richards already exist but not be powered and Latveria just hasn't done anything to be on the radar for a national threat.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
one of my favorite films, that also happens to have my single favorite orchestral film score.
It is the best film score of all time, and I will fight anyone who says differently.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:56 AM

Quote:
I grew up on X-Men in the 1990's.
Get off my lawn!

Seriously though, the 1990s were probably the single worst era of Marvel comics. The '60s, '70s, and early '80s were the Golden Age. In the '90s the Empire fell to the raving hordes, and civilization did not resurface until the early 2000s.

Now? Honestly, Marvel seems more like a movie company. There have been so many reboots, resets, and big events in the comics universe over the past 10 years that the Marvel U is a muddled mess. I have no clue what's going on with most characters, and Marvel Comics have made such a mess of things that it's kind of hard for me to care.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:02 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,526,497 times
Quote:

Quite honestly, putting Wolverine in the Avengers was one of Marvel's more bone-headed moves in the past 10 years. I know why they did it. Wolverine is Marvel's second most popular character, always guaranteed to sell.

Yes, Wolverine sales. But in made a lot of sense as well. On the other hand times have changed scene the Avengers came out. Times are (dare I say it?) Darker. As I believe Iron Man said Wolverine Can do & go places they can't. Yes, it is a marketing ploy but one that works in The New Avengers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies