Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 05:23 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,111,759 times

Advertisements

I have. I'd heard that he was doing a movie about Disneyland, or something like that - and it just seemed weird.

But now there's this - which seems more in character. It's called "Where To Invade Next" - and I already want to see it.

Michael Moore’s 'Where to Invade Next' Is a Love Letter to the Things Europe Does Better
From Slovenia's free college tuition to Norway's humane prison system, Europe has many of the answers

Michael Moore Is About to Surprise America with Major New Documentary on the American Empire | Alternet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 08:27 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,798,217 times
I would think maybe working with Weight Watchers or Nutrisystem. This Canadian has a obvious hatred for America. Amazing people actually watch his films.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:31 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,401,163 times
Sorry - I don't ever wonder what Michael Moore is doing, and to be honest, I'd rather NOT know what he's doing.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:59 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,922,374 times
He's stuffing his face and being an uninformed, loud-mouthed idiot, what did you all expect him to be doing?

Old 09-22-2015, 09:41 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,498,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
He's stuffing his face and being an uninformed, loud-mouthed idiot, what did you all expect him to be doing?
^This^

Old 09-23-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I would think maybe working with Weight Watchers or Nutrisystem. This Canadian has a obvious hatred for America. Amazing people actually watch his films.

I'm always fascinated by posts like yours and the others sniping here. You object to Moore's politics, and you can't grasp the idea that criticism and hatred aren't the same thing, but presumably you know that his films are quite correct - that's why people have generally had no luck suing him. So instead you insult him for being overweight. Just curious - do you post the same weight insults about, for instance, Rush Limbaugh?

And it's no surprise that people watch his films. You may not like his opinions, but although the movies may be slanted, they're overall fairly accurate. And, more important, they're very entertaining. That's why he's successful.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:14 AM

22,862 posts, read 28,113,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
... although the movies may be slanted, they're overall fairly accurate.
Only if by "fairly" you mean "not really."

Moore cherry picks his facts and never shows any facts that contradict the view he is trying to portray. And he isn't above outright lying from time to time. His films are VERY well made. He's a good director. No doubt about it. But accurate? Truthful? No. They aren't documentaries so much as propaganda pieces, and he has been called on it even by liberals who agree with him.

And it isn't a new development. Moore has been twisting the facts in his own direction as far back as Roger and Me.

'Roger and Me' - Documentary? Satire? Or Both? - NYTimes.com

There are some very good liberal documentarians out there. Michael Moore is not one of them.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Only if by "fairly" you mean "not really."

Moore cherry picks his facts and never shows any facts that contradict the view he is trying to portray. And he isn't above outright lying from time to time. His films are VERY well made. He's a good director. No doubt about it. But accurate? Truthful? No. They aren't documentaries so much as propaganda pieces, and he has been called on it even by liberals who agree with him. And it isn't a new development. Moore has been twisting the facts in his own direction as far back as Roger and Me.

'Roger and Me' - Documentary? Satire? Or Both? - NYTimes.com

There are some very good liberal documentarians out there. Michael Moore is not one of them.

No, that's not what I mean. Although by the very nature of documentaries, all filmmakers cherry-pick, Moore's films are accurate enough to resist lawsuits. It seems like many documentaries these days have a strong point of view (Inside Job, Fed Up, etc.) and maybe Moore's seem more extreme because his tend to be funnier, just as most popular fiction comedies these days tend to be a over-the top (Trainwreck, etc.).

And let's face it, a filmgoer has to have been living in a cave not to know what he's going to get when he walks into a Michael Moore film.

One other thing I should have mentioned to the people who were sniping about Moore's weight. He did go on a diet, lost weight, but unfortunately, like many dieters, apparently gained it back. But the funny thing is, when he lost he weight, he was mocked for vanity. So you can see how desperate conservatives are to attack him any way they can - if they momentarily can't mock him for being fat, they'd mock him for being vain.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:17 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,393,503 times
Nope, don't really think about Michael Morore EVER!

Old 09-28-2015, 03:52 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,941,810 times
To be better, one concentrates on areas with room for improvement. Not just resting on their laurels. America has done a lot of great things. I grew up in a country that seemed to be #1 in almost everything. Others have caught up Many have passed us. We are still resting on our laurels....and preparing for more invasions.

Building bases right next to Russia? Oh my.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies