Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which space film of recent years was your favorite?
The Martian (2015) 7 36.84%
Interstellar (2014) 7 36.84%
Gravity (2013) 2 10.53%
I enjoyed all equally 0 0%
I did not enjoy any of them 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 04:37 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,498,334 times

Advertisements

What did you like about each and why? Which is your favorite?

Intersellar is my #1 and pretty up there of all time mostly because of that bloody amazing soundtrack and the stunning visuals. Matthew gave a great, believable performance as well - he was the perfect fit for the character in my opinion. For a sci-fi film, I was impressed with the science they presented in the movie and while most of it is theoretically possible with the exact right equations/tech, there was some Nolanwood thrown in to be sure. All in all just a beautiful movie, and one that gets 4/4 stars for me.

The Martian is my #2. I've only seen it once so far but daaaaamn did I love the Mars scenery, it was very well done and accurate. Super cool to think about. The science is questionable but again under the right conditions could happen. The initial scene with the storm kind of threw me off, because Mars does not get wind like that - strongest winds on Mars would feel like maybe 15-20mph. But I realize it was just a plot point to get things going. Soundtrack was not as impressive and I thought it was pretty cheesy at times, but a good movie. 3/4 stars.

Gravity is my #3 but I did not like this movie. I appreciated the beautiful imagery of Earth and space for sure, but found the story (was there one?) pretty boring and lacking in the dialogue department. I did not feel like Clooney and Bullock were the best choices for the leads; the characters felt flat and superficial. 2/4 stars.

You?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 05:54 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
I may be in the minority but I liked Gravity out of all of them. It was a straight forward, no nonsense, non pretentious, intense thrill ride about the most basic desire for survival. The 3D and CGI was superb. I was most involved emotionally with the character and story in Gravity.

I would rank Martian second and Interstellar third. Martian was easier to follow and I liked the way so many challenges kept popping up, but the movie was a bit long.

Interstellar was also long, and for me a bit harder to follow.

The only one I want to see again out of these three is Gravity.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:08 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,498,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I may be in the minority but I liked Gravity out of all of them. It was a straight forward, no nonsense, non pretentious, intense thrill ride about the most basic desire for survival. The 3D and CGI was superb. I was most involved emotionally with the character and story in Gravity.

I would rank Martian second and Interstellar third. Martian was easier to follow and I liked the way so many challenges kept popping up, but the movie was a bit long.

Interstellar was also long, and for me a bit harder to follow.

The only one I want to see again out of these three is Gravity.
That's cool man. You are right that it was straight forward no nonsense. CGI was great - if I ever watch it again (doubtful I'll ever choose it but someone else might) I would just be diggin' the scenes of our Earth.

Martian was easier to follow than Interstellar and more realistic but Interstellar explored some abstract theoretical physics concepts that I really liked, especially the higher dimensions of spacetime. It must be tough to depict 4 dimensions in 3 dimensions on a 2 dimensional screen.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:17 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Interstellar was too long.

I couldn't get through more than 30 minutes of Gravity. Boring.

Looking forward to Martian.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:04 PM

983 posts, read 994,893 times
Anybody notice how Interstellar is the movie version of the Queen song '39?

This link contains lots of spoilers.
The Similarities Between Interstellar and Queen's '39

Old 10-24-2015, 03:57 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,140,435 times
1 The Martian
2 Gravity
3 Interstellar

Old 10-24-2015, 05:18 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,139,816 times
For me,

1. The Martian - impressed that it managed to stay consistently interesting, with a surprising amount of humor; also, I hate to admit it, but it's just easier to take.

2. Gravity - periodically hard to take, but had to admire someone making a movie with such a limit on characters and space to operate in.

3. Interstellar - too gratuitously complicated, and too much in love with its own wild visuals.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:34 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
That's cool man. You are right that it was straight forward no nonsense. CGI was great - if I ever watch it again (doubtful I'll ever choose it but someone else might) I would just be diggin' the scenes of our Earth.

Martian was easier to follow than Interstellar and more realistic but Interstellar explored some abstract theoretical physics concepts that I really liked, especially the higher dimensions of spacetime. It must be tough to depict 4 dimensions in 3 dimensions on a 2 dimensional screen.
I think if you are really into the science or fascinated by things like that, Interstellar would be your favorite.

I kind of like movies to be grounded in both realistic science, but not anything that is too complicated.

That's why I liked Martian better than Interstellar.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:09 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,296,878 times
I didn't see Interstellar (yet), but to me the other two are not comparable. I enjoyed The Martian a lot more than I did Galaxy but the two movies were very different to me.

I liked The Martian's storyline. I loved that it wasn't an alien-dodger. I thought the scenery in it was beautiful, and Matt's performance was fantastic.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:45 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Interstellar and The Martian are two different flavors of story based well shot on a cinematography level, amazing acted movies. Gravity was one of those movies that IMAX made better which to me, if you need that it is all sizzle no streak.

Verdict: I'll slightly give it to The Martian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies