Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2015, 04:53 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here seen the bio pic about Bessie Smith, played by Queen Latifah??

She apparently had executive producer credit on it too.

Overall I found the movie to be on the boring side... but that is common with those types of movies as they only have real life to work with and can't change things up too much.

One thing I think that came across was that Bessie Smith wasn't really a nice person. I get that she had a tough upbringing and those days weren't kind to black folks, but again... she was mean spirited and was a complete drunk.

There were tons of scenes where she had a jug of moonshine in her hand.

There are a couple of scenes where she is doing casting calls for her show and she turns away lighter black skinned women calling them high yellers or something crude like that I can't remember.

I don't care if you have a bad childhood doesn't give you free reign to be a azzhole to people.

I'm surprised that they showed her in such a bad way.. albeit most likely an honest way, I sort of respect that, at least they didn't gloss it up and stray from reality.

The acting overall was pretty good by all players, I thought Monique did a pretty good job and in reality she should have played the lead, but again, Latifah was the producer, so I'm sure she got her picks of roles... LOL...

Thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 08:53 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
I thought it was just "ok". I found it somewhat boring, and I love bio-pics. Meh.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:48 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
I saw it and thought the movie was awful and Latifah's acting worse than awful.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I saw it and thought the movie was awful and Latifah's acting worse than awful.
I think she did OK..... must have been ok enough, as I found her to be terribly distasteful.

I think Monique would have been the better pick to play the lead.

The dude that was her husband, has that big scar on his face, he played "Chalky" in Boardwalk Empire. I thought that scar was part of the Chalky character, but apparently it's not.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:25 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
I actually think I would like Latifah based on the few interviews I've seen with her, chowhound. She has a very, very good singing voice, too, that she rarely uses.

The Bessie Smith movie was bland, in my opinion, and I would bet a bundle Ms. Smith was anything but bland. Latifah portrayed very little warmth playing this earthy and immensely talented singer.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 10-26-2015 at 02:47 PM..

Old 10-26-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I actually think I would like Latifah based on the few interviews I've seen with her, chowhound. She has a very, very good singing voice, too, that she rarely uses.

The Bessie Smith movie was bland, in my opinion, and I would bet a bundle Ms. Smith was anything but bland. Latifah portrayed very little warmth playing this earthy and immensely talented singer.
Well, like I posted initially, they put Bessie Smith in a bad light... at least to me... maybe one could just say that they were "showing warts and all" but IDK..... her holding a paper bag next to a black woman and if she wasn't dark enough she'd get the boot.... that just seemed tacky and mean spirited.... but again... we get that were all flawed in some way or another....

I too think Queen Latifah is a talented singer... not my style of music that she does. I actually don't care for the blues that Bessie Smith is famous for.... I just find all of it to be sort of annoying and reminds me of caterwauling cats... LOL... I guess it's just me as she is famous thee world over... but the Blues in general isn't my bag.

Last edited by Chowhound; 10-26-2015 at 03:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies