Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 05:28 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post
They just don't make them like they used to..

Can anyone think of any movies made from 2000 on that is or will be a true classic? Movies seem so dumbed down compared to decades past. Just more gratuitous violence, explosions, skin, snarky one liners. Where's the depth, the heart, the intelligence (again, not just witty one liners)? I struggle to think of any beyond animated (Shrek, Frozen). What movies from now will people theoretically love in, say, 20-40 years? Because I just don't see all the superhero/comic book stuff sticking, you know? Maybe Nolan's Batman trilogy. But they're generally becoming so oversaturated, it's hard to distinguish one from the next. And, I used to really love Avengers, Marvel, Spiderman, Mos, etc...but it's a bit much I think, especially all the reboots. (I groaned out loud when i heard about Ben Affleck playing Batman. I mean, really? So soon? Lets not even talk The Amazing Spiderman.) What will still matter in 30 years' time?

I'm leery of calling something a "classic" - which is not the same thing as saying it's an excellent movie.

But from the movies you list, I get the impression that you mostly go to Hollywood movies that aspire to be blockbusters, not excellent movies.

Now that you mention it, not many "classics" are sequels or re-boots, it seems to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 06:02 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'm leery of calling something a "classic" - which is not the same thing as saying it's an excellent movie.

But from the movies you list, I get the impression that you mostly go to Hollywood movies that aspire to be blockbusters, not excellent movies.

Now that you mention it, not many "classics" are sequels or re-boots, it seems to me.
There are several reboots that are classics. Weren't Snow White and Wizard of Oz that were not already done by studios before Disney and MGM made their classics?

As for what the OP commented on, it seems like garden variety blockbuster hate that is all the rage today and has been for a while whether it is good comic book movies or not.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:29 AM

934 posts, read 1,441,193 times
I think people will look back at this time period as the Golden Age of the superhero movie, especially for Marvel (though the Dark Knight trilogy is the best, I think). Tarantino, Nolan, Pixar, and the Coen brothers made some good stuff that I think will become classics. I think this is actually been a decent 15 years for film, but there is a lot more junk than in previous years due to the sheer volume of films being made.

I was just cruising through the American Film Institutes "Greatest" lists. Basically all the films on there are from the last century. The only two I saw near the top ten was Lord of the Rings and Chicago.

Old 11-26-2015, 02:31 PM

658 posts, read 1,336,031 times
Very few...My guess since Y2K: No Country for Old Men; Hugo; Lincoln; 12 Years A Slave; The Pianist;Brokeback Mountain; The Help.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:28 PM

211 posts, read 211,970 times
Mean Girls is pretty much considered a classic across the board.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:19 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWTEBO View Post
Mean Girls is pretty much considered a classic across the board.
How did I forget that one? So amazing.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:01 AM

164 posts, read 329,187 times
I am surprised no one has mentioned Super Troopers or The Departe yet

Old 12-05-2015, 01:20 AM

2,322 posts, read 923,382 times
Here's a quick baker's dozen:

Oldboy
Gladiator
Memento
The Pianist
New World
The Machinist
Spirited Away
Pan's Labyrinth
12 Years A Slave
Blackhawk Down
A Tale of Two Sisters
No Country for Old Men
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Old 12-05-2015, 02:00 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,143,131 times
Quote:
Oldboy
(2003), Park Chan-wook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies