Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2016, 06:29 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,989,494 times

Advertisements

The movie is about 2 hours and 20 minutes. It is a John Grisham thriller and a monument to Julia Roberts. In fact the last statement is something about her "being too good to be true".

Was surprised at the poor image quality of the DVD. They even used both sides of the DVD. It still looked a lot like VHS quality.

Does anybody know what could cause a double sided DVD to have such poor image quality? It is almost like a VHS tape got re-mastered. It is by Warner Brothers.

I have seen higher image quality on movies that were compressed down to 1 or 2 GB. Using both sides of a DVD availed them to about 9 GB of data.

Perhaps I should ask on the video forum. That gets a couple visitors/day or so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 07:49 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,265,229 times
That was an early DVD when they were in a hurry to introduce new titles.

Rather than go through the effort of digitizing the actual film, in the beginning, they often just digitized the LaserDisc, which was a little bit better than VHS, if it was available. Criterion even did it.

You can still get the LaserDisc: the pelican brief laserdisc | eBay

It's now available on Blu-ray

Old 07-26-2016, 01:56 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,852,224 times
I would more suspect that you got what is actually a forged copy, and from a poor quality source.
I own this movie and my copy's quality is every bit as good as my other DVDs.

BTW: I was a bit confused about your saying "they used both sides". The only DVDs I've seen that used both sides, put different content on each side. IE: Each side had the same movie, but in different aspect ratio, one was wide-screen letterboxed, the other pan-n-scan narrow picture.
You can spot these, as they have no labels. (The laser has to shine into the disk for the content to be read, so double-sided disks must have clear plastic on each side. All ID information was stamped in the center just outside the hub-hole).
A long time ago, I saw some CDs sold with the first half of a movie on one side, and the second on the other, and you had to flip the disk in your player, but I've never seen a DVD or Bluray like that.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:11 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,989,494 times
Thanks....that explains everything. I was unable to figure out what would cause image quality to be slightly better than VHS...but well below DVD.

I'm not if I will ever need more than DVD quality. Unless 80" TVs someday become affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
That was an early DVD when they were in a hurry to introduce new titles.

Rather than go through the effort of digitizing the actual film, in the beginning, they often just digitized the LaserDisc, which was a little bit better than VHS, if it was available. Criterion even did it.

You can still get the LaserDisc: the pelican brief laserdisc | eBay

It's now available on Blu-ray
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies