Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 06:21 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,313,731 times

Advertisements

Okay, it's a given that Hollywood doesn't do original work. The "five plots" have been done over and over and over and over and ... You get what I mean.

I suspect that most of this is due to the fact that the people who finance movies are generally conservative financially (no matter what their political leanings) and want to invest in something that will make them more money.

Now we come to Clara Bow. Sorry, movie nerd joke. "IT" is being remade. Some folks consider this to be a heresy as Tim Curry is not going to be it. So, as he rambles toward something resembling a point, do you think "great" movies/TV series should not be remade, or do you think there's no problem with doing this, or do you say "take it case by case and let's see how they do"? I'm in the third category myself. I wasn't enthralled by "IT" but then I didn't watch all of the second episode before I gave up. (I watched it later on at the request of my wife. Still not excited.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 06:43 AM

22,953 posts, read 28,365,202 times
I am not inherently opposed to remakes, simply because there have been lots of remakes that were great movies --- sometimes better than the original.

There are some movies where I don't think anyone in their right mind should attempt a remake, simply because they are so perfect that you aren't going to improve on the original. Movies like: THE GODFATHER, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, JAWS, or THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY.

That said, a talented filmmaker could take any one of those movies and take them in a different direction. Take JAWS for example. We don't need another small town shark movie. But set it in the Dark Ages and have the local sheriff teaming up with an old Crusader and a monk to take out a ravaging dragon? I'm there. I simply will not care that it's a remake. My only question will be, "Is it good?"

As for IT, I think I am the one Stephen King in the world who didn't like the book very much, didn't like the miniseries very much, and doesn't really care about the remake very much.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:02 AM

16,433 posts, read 12,583,926 times
I'm not opposed to remakes. I like seeing how a movie can be reinterpreted. But I also like theater for that very reason. I can't imagine if anyone suggested that no one should ever perform Shakespeare again because "it's already been done and that version is a classic".

Old 08-22-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm not opposed to remakes. I like seeing how a movie can be reinterpreted. But I also like theater for that very reason. I can't imagine if anyone suggested that no one should ever perform Shakespeare again because "it's already been done and that version is a classic".
Firesign Theater did a parody of "Hamlet" at a Shakespeare festival in, I think, Canada, once upon a time. It was hysterical.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:21 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,962,321 times
I probably fall somewhere between don't touch it and wait and see.

Now with IT, my feelings are pretty much NO THANK YOU. I hated IT (book), but then I hate clowns. So this movie is not one I would watch. I did read somewhere about a possible remake of Killer klowns from outer space. Eeek!

I definitely didn't see the need for remakes of:

Point Break
Total Recall
Fright Night
The Fog
Nightmare on Elm Street
Friday the 13th
Halloween
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Psycho
When A Stranger Calls
Vacation

There are definitely movies that you just don't touch. I think there are some fans who would be very upset if movies like the Goonies, Heathers, Gone With the Wind, Sound of Music, Wizard of Oz, ET, It's a Wonderful Life, Casablanca.... ever got remade. I can think of more but man my list would be long.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:22 AM

The question, it seems to me, is it possible to improve on the original. Hollywood will keep producing remakes, but can they learn to do it better than the previous one, two, or three versions of the movie?

Old 08-22-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
I probably fall somewhere between don't touch it and wait and see.

Now with IT, my feelings are pretty much NO THANK YOU. I hated IT (book), but then I hate clowns. So this movie is not one I would watch. I did read somewhere about a possible remake of Killer klowns from outer space. Eeek!

I definitely didn't see the need for remakes of:

Point Break
Total Recall
Fright Night
The Fog
Nightmare on Elm Street
Friday the 13th
Halloween
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Psycho
When A Stranger Calls
Vacation

There are definitely movies that you just don't touch. I think there are some fans who would be very upset if movies like the Goonies, Heathers, Gone With the Wind, Sound of Music, Wizard of Oz, ET, It's a Wonderful Life, Casablanca.... ever got remade. I can think of more but man my list would be long.
The original "Total Recall" struck me as buffonish. The remake was a good action flick.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:23 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,865,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Okay, it's a given that Hollywood doesn't do original work. The "five plots" have been done over and over and over and over and ... You get what I mean.

I suspect that most of this is due to the fact that the people who finance movies are generally conservative financially (no matter what their political leanings) and want to invest in something that will make them more money.

Now we come to Clara Bow. Sorry, movie nerd joke. "IT" is being remade. Some folks consider this to be a heresy as Tim Curry is not going to be it. So, as he rambles toward something resembling a point, do you think "great" movies/TV series should not be remade, or do you think there's no problem with doing this, or do you say "take it case by case and let's see how they do"? I'm in the third category myself. I wasn't enthralled by "IT" but then I didn't watch all of the second episode before I gave up. (I watched it later on at the request of my wife. Still not excited.)
Disagree. You left a great deal presumed to get to your point which is completely unhinged due to your assumptions in bold face.

Plenty of source material to create film from without remaking a lesser quality remake heavy with CGI and offering today's less than commanding presence actors.

Conservatism vs. Liberalism is not the issue with Hollywood productions it is entirely how decision makers forsee the market. The past few years of DC, Marvel comic book inspired films appear to be a massive hit. (to my surprise) and so the trend continues. The poor performance domestically of the previous few sword and sandals film should put them aware but perhaps the international box office receipts are higher than domestic for this type of film.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:24 AM

28,711 posts, read 18,886,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I
That said, a talented filmmaker could take any one of those movies and take them in a different direction. Take JAWS for example. We don't need another small town shark movie. But set it in the Dark Ages and have the local sheriff teaming up with an old Crusader and a monk to take out a ravaging dragon? I'm there.
You've been thinking about that for a while, haven't you?

That would not be a "remake." It wouldn't even be a "re-imagining." I'd call that a re-use of a plot type that is as bona fide as the Coen Brothers' hilarious adaptation of Homer in "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"

Old 08-22-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Disagree. You left a great deal presumed to get to your point which is completely unhinged due to your assumptions in bold face.
Your support for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies