Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 01:36 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,850,010 times

Advertisements

Actually it wouldn't make much difference to us. We like to get netflix and watch in the comfort of home. Too many idiots with bright lights from cell phones, talking during the movie, trouble finding decent parking places, expensive snacks., etc. Would you go more often if the prices were cheaper?

Movie theaters may start cutting ticket prices - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 01:38 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,135,030 times
No. The price has never been the issue (though for the price of 2 tickets, I can buy the blu-ray).
I used to love the movies. I used to work at a theater. Even afterwards, I would be the one lined up hours before a premiere of something important I wanted to see so I could get the best seat, etc.

But too many entitled ahole people who don't care about anyone else's good time have just totally killed the environment.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:39 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,983,437 times
Nope have not gone in years due to the exspense and that kids and teens don't know how to act in a movie theater anymore or out in public period .

Old 03-27-2014, 02:59 PM

22,861 posts, read 28,109,569 times
Ticket prices are the #1 reason we only go to the movies 3 or 4 times a year, when we used to go 2 or 3 times a month. This is good news.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:00 PM

8,241 posts, read 13,336,747 times
Definitely wouldn't hurt but they are up against a stiff competition.

Too many reasons to pick a DVD rental over a movie theater:
Quote:
- I can watch a rental any given time
- Eat/drink whatever I want, if at all
- I always get the best seat
- Movie waits for me if I need to make a bathroom run
- Absolutely no annoyance from other people's texting, phone chatting, chatting with others or lights from
their digital media
- I can skip any ads/previews
- There is a chance of seeing special features (if included)
- No driving or waiting in line for tickets, no looking for seats in the dark
- I don't have to be sitting, I could be lying down or even multi-tasking
- I can control the volume/language/subtitle
- I can watch it at home wearing nothing but an underwear, if that
- If I have company with me, it doesn't cost more
- Even if I dislike the movie, I only lost $1
- I can watch it again, in parts or whole
- I don't have to leave afterwards

Old 03-27-2014, 04:12 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,850,010 times
One thing which drives me crazy is today there are at least 20 minutes of ads and not necessarily for upcoming features. just pure ads for food in the lobby, dentists and cars, etc. DH is a punctuality freak and he has to be there 15 minutes before anything starts. But by the time the feature starts I already have fanny fatigue. I have to use hearing assist device in public theater now but inevitably they are on the fritz when we get there. For so many reasons I have figured movies are not aimed for my enjoyment so we simply don't go any more.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:22 PM

304 posts, read 1,016,500 times
I rarely go because of the environment of poorly behaved people other posters have suggested, price is not gonna change that...in fact it may make it worse because now even more people would show up!

The article cited reducing price one day a week and a lot of theaters where I live already do this...it was nice at first but soon everyone knows when to see the movie for cheap and it's just as crowded as seeing a blockbuster movie on the Friday night it comes out.

I am quite content to wait a few months for Blu-ray/Netflix or HBO (slightly longer).

Old 03-27-2014, 04:52 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,938,695 times
We go to theaters maybe once a year...maybe. Only if there is something we really want to see. The cost is ridiculous for a large family and I just cannot justify the cost. And as others have mentioned, the people who talk, text, come in late, what have you keep me from enjoying the movie. Not to mention the theaters are always filthy.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:34 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,244,209 times
I go to anything any time I want, which is usually Fri around 11:30...sorry to
break from the norm.
Seeing Noah tomorrow.
I can afford $6.50-7.00.
I have no issue with parking or the people or the sound or the seats.
I don't eat popcorn or soda. I also eat before I go.
I sometimes buy gift cards to give to friends.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:39 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,336,115 times
Years ago yes, I went out to the theater more, but with a large HDTV and a bluray player at home, I can get get such a high quality viewing experience that I don't see the need to go see most movies in theater.
Plus I can eat whatever I want, drink whatever I want, stop the movie to go to the bathroom or get more snacks, it's just a better experience at home now.
The only exception I make is for some big budget sci-fi or fantasy movies that have lots of FX and that's only for some of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies