Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 02:07 PM

281 posts, read 309,130 times

Advertisements

To be honest, I haven't seen a movie that has inspired me to eagerly want to pay to watch it again since Lord of the Rings, Return of the King! While I can't claim I feel such eagerness now, I have to admit the new Star Wars movie Rogue One was actually enjoyable. There were some yawn inducing moments of lag, but by and large it was entertaining. I won't give any spoilers, but the last 8-10 minutes of it alone was worth the price of admission! If I could have pushed rewind, I would have about 4 or 5 times! I am and have always been a Star Wars fan, but I am extremely critical and do not give credit where credit isn't due. I absolutely hated the prequels, and didn't really care for the recent Star Wars movie released last year. Rogue One was by far the best since Return of the Jedi, and maybe even sense Empire Strikes Back. There was a pretty good story behind it, not a lot of cheesy lines, not a bunch of R2D2 running around saving the day, not a lot of fake looking CGI, and it just came across as a more serious film then the last few releases. I would definitely give it an 8 out of 10, and as I said, I'm pretty critical when it comes to movies. The first two hours and two minutes, very enjoyable. The last 10 minutes, I was eight years old again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 04:11 PM

281 posts, read 309,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guru View Post
I'm very excited. I'll probably watch it at the Chinese tomorrow.
Did you see it in 3-D?
No, I saw it and regular version, but it was still very entertaining. A lot better than I thought. It truly was a Star Wars I don't have to pretend I liked, just out of loyalty to the franchise. LOL.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:05 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guru View Post
I'm very excited. I'll probably watch it at the Chinese tomorrow.
Did you see it in 3-D?
How much does a 3d movie cost in L.A. these days?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXvQjVyg7IU

Old 12-19-2016, 05:26 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,879 times
A dozen or so deleted posts later, I have one thing to say to you all:
This is not the politics forum, if you hijack threads to be about politics outside of politics, you will be punished for trolling. It's that simple. No, not only you - this works the same for both "sides" of this silly partisan conflict.
Yac.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:37 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Troy View Post
No, I saw it and regular version, but it was still very entertaining. A lot better than I thought. It truly was a Star Wars I don't have to pretend I liked, just out of loyalty to the franchise. LOL.
I agree with this sentiment. If this had been the first movie of the franchise, I'd have loved it. No, it didn't grab me as hard as the first 10 seconds of "A New Hope: grabbed me on that first weekend in 1977, but I'd darn sure watch the sequel.

It was kind of "The Dirty Dozen Saving Private Ryan from the Guns of Navarone," but it was really, really good.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:49 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
A dozen or so deleted posts later, I have one thing to say to you all:
This is not the politics forum, if you hijack threads to be about politics outside of politics, you will be punished for trolling. It's that simple. No, not only you - this works the same for both "sides" of this silly partisan conflict.
Yac.
YES! Movies are a form of escapism. They give us a break from current reality, and "A New Hope" and the crawl plot in the intro that was developed into R1 existed long before the current nonsense. If you want to read political inferences into these movies and "discuss" those fantasies, then please take that to politics, where it can be properly discussted. The rest of of get that it was "A long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away."

Old 12-20-2016, 04:07 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
To be honest, I haven't seen a movie that has inspired me to eagerly want to pay to watch it again since Lord of the Rings, Return of the King! While I can't claim I feel such eagerness now, I have to admit the new Star Wars movie Rogue One was actually enjoyable. There were some yawn inducing moments of lag, but by and large it was entertaining. I won't give any spoilers, but the last 8-10 minutes of it alone was worth the price of admission! If I could have pushed rewind, I would have about 4 or 5 times! I am and have always been a Star Wars fan, but I am extremely critical and do not give credit where credit isn't due. I absolutely hated the prequels, and didn't really care for the recent Star Wars movie released last year. Rogue One was by far the best since Return of the Jedi, and maybe even sense Empire Strikes Back. There was a pretty good story behind it, not a lot of cheesy lines, not a bunch of R2D2 running around saving the day, not a lot of fake looking CGI, and it just came across as a more serious film then the last few releases. I would definitely give it an 8 out of 10, and as I said, I'm pretty critical when it comes to movies. The first two hours and two minutes, very enjoyable. The last 10 minutes, I was eight years old again!
Spoilers?

I haven't seen it, but I'll go out on a limb and guess that the rebels get away with the plans for the Death Star.

Just a hunch...

Old 12-20-2016, 04:20 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,146 times
Quote:
Agree with pretty much everything you said.

You're right, the prequels told the story but seemed a little "off".

Rogue One felt completely on. The story of how they got the plans. It was completely awesome.

The CGI did not bother me at all. They looked real enough to me and were completely necessary to tell the story correctly. The reference to "the Jedi" in the one scene with Senator Organa and Mon Mathma, who of course is Obi Wan, who they both acknowledged was in hiding,blew me away. Then the ending....Incredible.

I wish the prequels were as good as this. Rogue One IS Star Wars.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:48 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Great movie! Had that classic Star Wars feel to it. Movie had action, comedy, tragedy and characters that you can care about. Well done! See it twice.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:51 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
I noted the planting of a plot point for an upcoming film "The heart of the greatest stars are Kyhber." That implies that at least one plotline will revolve around the finding and interactions with such a star.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies