U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 08:50 AM

4,907 posts, read 2,394,139 times

Advertisements

I read that it has to do with who has the rights to the Xmen, but since they are all under Marvel, why is it so hard to work out the details to officially make them part of the MCU?

It seems like it would be a huge financial win-win for everyone. If you could get crossover between the Xmen, the Avengers (including Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, Black Panther, etc), Gaurdians of the Galaxy, the Netflix Defenders (Dare Devil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and I guess throw in Punisher), Deadpool, all the other Marvel characters that haven't made it to the big screen yet, and maybe the Fantastic Four (if they could actually put together a good product lol). I know the next Avengers film will crossover with Gaurdians of the Galaxy and potentially the Defenders.

It seems like such big potential there, both financially and for fans. Do you think Marvel will eventually have a united MCU?

Last edited by personone; 02-18-2017 at 09:18 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 10:43 AM

7,705 posts, read 3,724,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Do you think Marvel will eventually have a united MCU?
Maybe. Maybe not. Deadpool changed everything. Fox now knows they have a highly bankable property, one that netted them more profit than any of the other mutants. Since Fox has more of Marvel's characters to play with, compared to Sony, it's now going to cost Marvel more to get Fox to share them. Disney pays some of its stars (Downey, Johansson, Evans) gobs of cash, but they seem to get cheap when it gets down to licensing and even paying the creators of the original characters. Jim Starlin, creator of Thanos, Gamora and Drax, said he got a bigger check from WB for the appearance of the KGBeast in BvS than the cumulative payout he's seen for all those other characters. That's sad.

Quote:
Writer of the Infinity Gauntlet and Thanos creator Jim Starlin recently expressed frustration that he’d received more money from the KGBeast’s appearance in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice than he had from all of his Marvel characters’ cinematic appearances combined, but that doesn’t mean he’s opposed to the pitching in for the House of Ideas.
Thanos Creator Jim Starlin Wants In On Avengers: Infinity War

Old 02-18-2017, 03:52 PM

18,552 posts, read 22,344,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Maybe. Maybe not. Deadpool changed everything. Fox now knows they have a highly bankable property, one that netted them more profit than any of the other mutants.
Marvel/Disney will get all their properties back some day, but for all the reasons AFfrEFkt sited, it won't be any time soon. Fox's X-movies are still successful enough that they won't be interested in selling. Once the profits fall off ... maybe. But I suspect that is still ten years or more away.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:34 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,658,631 times
Fox owns X-Men, and the property is still profitable, so they don't want to give it back to Marvel/Disney. And if people follow the reviews then the upcoming Logan film is going to be a big cash grab as well.

But Fox does flubber on it's properties from the time to time. XM The Last Stand and the Wolverine Origin movie were bad and that malaise carried over to the reboot First Class which was critically acclaimed but not very at the successful box office.

Fox has lost Daredevil, Ghost Rider, and dozens of other properties back to Marvel because they failed to capitalize on them. Rumor has it that Fantastic Four will return as well soon with Fox already giving the rights to Ego back to Marvel in a trade. I'm sure in due time X-Men will find their way home again.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:45 PM

The next movie will probably decide a lot of the X-franchise's fate. I think LOGAN is going to be a hit. Then Jackman is probably done. There will likely be another X-movie after that. Probably the Phoenix saga, which they were hinting at in X-Men: Apocalypse. If that's a big hit, Fox will keep the ball rolling. If not ... who knows? They'll likely do a panic movie, paying Jackman $70 million to do Deadpool vs Wolverine or something.

But the short of it is: As long as the movies make money, Fox will keep making them. When the money stops, Marvel will probably make an offer Fox can't refuse.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:21 PM

3,131 posts, read 1,438,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Marvel/Disney will get all their properties back some day, but for all the reasons AFfrEFkt sited, it won't be any time soon.
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this in any other thread, but I'm thinking that the title of the new Spider-Man film, "Homecoming" is probably related to this movie/property moving into that direction.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this in any other thread, but I'm thinking that the title of the new Spider-Man film, "Homecoming" is probably related to this movie/property moving into that direction.
Oh, yeah. Very much so. But I suspect it also refers to putting Peter Parker back in high school where he belongs. Which means we have the following sequels to look forward to:

Spider-Man: PROM NIGHT

Spider-Man: SAT SCORES

Spider-Man: GRADUATION

Spider-Man: COLLEGE

Spider-Man: THE FRESHMAN TWENTY

Spider-Man: STUDENT LOAN DEBT

Old 02-26-2017, 10:39 AM

424 posts, read 302,887 times
With the unexpected (by them) success of Deadpool, Fox isn't going to let X-Men and its characters go back to Disney/Marvel anytime soon. Fox cut the budget of Deadpool during production, not expecting it to be a hit. And then it made over 700M worldwide on a budget of less than $60M. Then again, cutting the budget improved their profit margin so it worked out better for them in that way.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:15 PM

3,131 posts, read 1,438,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Oh, yeah. Very much so. But I suspect it also refers to putting Peter Parker back in high school where he belongs. Which means we have the following sequels to look forward to:

Spider-Man: PROM NIGHT

Spider-Man: SAT SCORES

Spider-Man: GRADUATION

Spider-Man: COLLEGE

Spider-Man: THE FRESHMAN TWENTY

Spider-Man: STUDENT LOAN DEBT
That's funny, Mark, but Peter never left high school according to CA:CW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OnOJSNktOs

Old 02-26-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
That's funny, Mark, but Peter never left high school according to CA:CW.
Well, not yet, but I'm sure Disney is hoping to milk this cash cow for years to come. Unless Disney has found a serum that will keep their child stars from aging --- and I would not put that past the House of Mouse --- they can't keep Tom Holland in high school forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies