Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 02:49 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Translation: you prefer The Thing from Another World to John Carpenter's The Thing. That's it. The former is not a "better" movie. The only thing the films share is the premise.
Yes, it is....by leaps and bounds. And no, that's not it. For the typical review by major critics of the 1982 film was disappointment, and they went down from there.

The film was a critical failure and even John Carpenter acknowledged that. It did serve a purpose, though, as a preview of the Hollywood stupidity that we, so sadly, would come to drown in.

Put all the lipstick you want on this pig of a "modern" movie that, like so many others to follow, attempts with CGI excess to compensate for its emotional vacuum. It's still a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 09:53 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Yes, it is....by leaps and bounds. And no, that's not it. For the typical review by major critics of the 1982 film was disappointment, and they went down from there.

The film was a critical failure and even John Carpenter acknowledged that. It did serve a purpose, though, as a preview of the Hollywood stupidity that we, so sadly, would come to drown in.
Big whoop. RARELY did a horror film then ever draw anything short of critical ire, espeically an effects-laden one.

It's only within the last decade or so that the critics (who are clearly younger than fiftysomethings) been throwing accolades at horror films.

I've never cared what "the critics" think. If I did, I'd probably be talking about Terms of Endearment and On Golden Pond instead of John Carpenter's The Thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Put all the lipstick you want on this pig of a "modern" movie that, like so many others to follow, attempts with CGI excess to compensate for its emotional vacuum. It's still a dog.
You're clearly confused. There is no CGI in John Carpenter's film. There is a lot of CGi in the 2011 version. Maybe you're thinking of that movie.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:46 AM

99 posts, read 68,406 times
Halloween 1, Ghost of Mars and They Live the best Carpenter. The Thing Number 4 or 5 but very good, better than Alien but not Aliens.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:00 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
Wow, I didn't know so many people disliked The Thing. I've seen both within the past few years and I think The Thing is much more entertaining. Alien has the sci-fi elements but beyond that it's just a monster chasing people around a spaceship and hasn't aged real well, IMHO. I remember watching it and thinking to myself, "That's it? That's all there is to it?" In contrast, The Thing is really about the tension and suspicion that builds up between the characters.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:09 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Wow, I didn't know so many people disliked The Thing. I've seen both within the past few years and I think The Thing is much more entertaining. Alien has the sci-fi elements but beyond that it's just a monster chasing people around a spaceship and hasn't aged real well, IMHO. I remember watching it and thinking to myself, "That's it? That's all there is to it?" In contrast, The Thing is really about the tension and suspicion that builds up between the characters.
I don't see anyone in this thread expressing a dislike except for that one guy who thinks it has CGI.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:40 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times
Well after watching The Thing again just now, what bothers me about it, is I can never really buy why the characters keep splitting up, and going off alone all the time, when they know that the Thing can perfectly imitate anyone. So why do they keep constantly going off on their own all the time?

I suppose this happens in Alien as well, but in Alien they are not dealing with an imitator so perhaps in Alien the decision is less stupid?

Last edited by ironpony; 09-19-2017 at 11:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies