Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 07:13 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times

Advertisements

The story of the ship is interesting enough. I remember having a book about it as a kid and thinking it was pretty fascinating.

The movie I've sat through a few times. It's a lot of BS and nonsense that requires the suspension of disbelief to enjoy, but it's at least well executed BS and nonsense. Winslet I can take or leave but almost anything with DiCaprio is watchable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 07:19 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
The story of the ship is interesting enough. I remember having a book about it as a kid and thinking it was pretty fascinating.
Yes, but have you ever read about this ?

https://theunredacted.com/titanic-co...at-never-sank/

Old 05-11-2017, 07:20 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
You don't have a clue what you're talking about. The whole point of the movie is that she was willing to give up all the luxury for love. Even when he dies, she doesn't go back to the man who could have kept her in luxury. And while she may have wound up with "an awfully sweet bauble", what good did that do her? She never wore it, never told anyone about it, never sold it so she could live in luxury, and in the end threw it into the ocean. It wasn't about how "sweet" or expensive it was, it was the only thing she had left that reminded her of the man she loved. That's why it's romantic. I don't know why you've got such a massive chip on your shoulder about people who have money - it sounds like you think they shouldn't be allowed to fall in love - but you definitely missed the entire point of the movie.
Um. I was doing a bit.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:30 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Falling in love with opposite classes and learning from each other.Money can't buy love.Natures course can change things and human error can cause a catastrophe.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:21 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,415,461 times
Take the love story out of the movie and you have a decent disaster film. But then no woman would watch it. For that matter, take the love story out of Pearl Harbor and you have a decent war film, but no woman would watch it. You could say this about pretty much any blockbuster film.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:22 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,620,761 times
I understand why the movie was supposed to be romantic, and I do enjoy romance, but Titanic is...ugh. Honestly I just think the script was bad. The best part of the movie was when the ship sunk, mainly because of the effects and the historical accuracy. I actually think Cameron did a great job portraying how horrifying it was, and the shots of people decided to go down with the ship were poignant.

The love story, on the other hand, lacked any kind of subtlety for me. It was too Romeo and Juliet, poor-boy-and-rich-girl archetype. Like a Disney movie without the charm. And I'm actually someone who loves Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio in other movies. I think maybe I'm too cynical to watch movies that I think convey a sort of idealist love rather than a realistic one.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:39 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Being mystified that Titanic is popular and its audience skews towards women is like being surprised that Die Hard is popular and its audience skews towards men.

Unless you're one of those people who expects everyone else to like only what they like, it's really not that hard to figure out.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:48 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
I don't like romantic movies, or rom-com. I think they're unrealistic and cheesy. I'd rather watch a documentary about a serial killer.
I may be turning into a man.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:55 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
Still one of my favorite movies ever.. I've loved it ever since I saw it at 9 years old.. Some people don't like the 1997 version of Titanic because they think they made it too much about a fake love story.... but I though it added a lot of depth to the story. Plus everyone had a crush on Leo in the late 90's! lol

Old 05-11-2017, 09:04 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Mr. and Mrs. Hillbilly both liked (and continue to like) that flick.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies