Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 08:37 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

People often find legendary tragedies dramatic and romantic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 08:39 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
I am a guy.... I liked that movie for many reasons.

Titanic itself... engineering, period technology, what it represented (Unsinkable ship).
Depiction of socio-economic classes and gender roles of that time period.
"Romeo and Juliet" like storyline.
Cinema/camera work.

I do agree with the post that the movie felt a bit long.

Movies like that make me wonder what it must have been like to be in design or architecture... when people actually did prioritize aesthetics when weighed against dollars and utility. Everything these days is so cheaply made plastic. However, I cannot help but feel that type of opulence was only possible when the division of wealth is so great that cheap labor and resources could be exploited by the few of great wealth. So I guess what we have these days isn't so bad... but I digress.

I don't think the movie's appeal isn't along gender lines... but rather along lines of the "hopeless romantic". It wouldn't be the first time someone accused me of being a hopeless romantic bordering on "white night".. (which I don't agree.. but whatever).

Last edited by usayit; 05-12-2017 at 08:47 AM..

Old 05-12-2017, 08:52 AM

9 posts, read 7,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Hahahahahaha.

Yep. The tables are turned.
It's pretty sick how women are excited by the idea of a man choosing to die for her. And then to say that her giving up a luxurious life for love was somehow courageous.

That movie didn't become so popular because men wanted to go out and see it. It's a movie made for women. Women love it when men make the ultimate sacrifice. Even if he's only known her for a couple of days. Like she was even that special.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:57 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
You know why? Because they are wearing period costumes and traveling in the lap of luxury, that's why. Some women just eat that stuff up with a spoon. I mean, this same kind of woman practically convulses over Downton Abbey because there are servants and nice looking gents making pompous speeches with British accents while oozing cash from every pore.

I mean, all you have to do is look at Pride and Prejudice. If Mr. Darcy were some poor tenant farmer with a gimp, tattered clothes, and no situation, do you think she would have entertained him for a skinny minute? Nope. She managed to look past all his manifold personality tics because he was the freaking Gotrocks of his age, practically floating in a cloud of filthy lucre wherever he and his entourage went.

Or Romeo and Juliet. You know that these were wealthy 13- and 14-year-olds, right? If some hayseed kid from Nebraska hopped on the Relationship forum and talked about how he was going to kill himself over his 13-year-old girlfriend (Whom he met for all of an hour), why he'd be crucified by the people who frequent this place. But sprinkle a bunch of thees, thous, and what-light-through-yonder-window-breaks about the place and they are just swooning right out of their polyester pants suits.

Now, in Titanic, Jack was poor but, by jingo, he had a heart of gold (And, by the way, looked like Leonardo DiCaprio. Couldn't have hurt). But women swoon over that stuff despite the fact that he drowned in the frigid North Atlantic. Why? Because she wound up with an awfully sweet bauble. And some women confuse profound stupidity with romantic behavior. That's why.
Eh...and some guys like period pieces in the form of old war movies with soldiers in uniform! And the louder and gorier the better!

I really don't see the difference...people like what they like and there are always others to critique why one genre is better than another.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:57 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepeu View Post
It's pretty sick how women are excited by the idea of a man choosing to die for her. And then to say that her giving up a luxurious life for love was somehow courageous.
My wife had a pretty interesting thing to say (she like the movie).

The male role was completely constructed around the notion of being with "his love"... self sacrifice, faking who he really was to mingle with the top tier of society, risking his life.. etc..

The female role was constructed just to be herself; albeit trapped in a rigid society.

Yet... female role in the end emerges as a figure that we are suppose to envy...

So I have to say her thoughts a long the same lines... but I still liked the movie.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:02 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:

That movie didn't become so popular because men wanted to go out and see it. It's a movie made for women. Women love it when men make the ultimate sacrifice. Even if he's only known her for a couple of days. Like she was even that special.
He was that special to him, that is the point. Everyone wants to be that special to someone. Sane people would not want them to have to prove it, of course.

I wanted her to take turns with that make-shift raft! That would be true love. She gave up her place in a real raft for him, so why let him die after that? He would have stood a better chance on his own and she could have found him later. That part blew, but I loved the rest.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:21 AM

9 posts, read 7,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
He was that special to him, that is the point. Everyone wants to be that special to someone. Sane people would not want them to have to prove it, of course.

I wanted her to take turns with that make-shift raft! That would be true love. She gave up her place in a real raft for him, so why let him die after that? He would have stood a better chance on his own and she could have found him later. That part blew, but I loved the rest.
Well sure, she could have taken turns with the raft. But she didn't. And women still loved the film, and they still praise her, for some reason. The people who made the film know that women like seeing a man suffer and die for a woman, even if she's not that special (which she is not, by any stretch), and even if he doesn't know her well. If she had been his wife for many years and the mother of his children and there was no other option, I could understand, but who the heck is she? Some engaged broad on a ship who he ran around with for a couple days. Big deal. And so the box office result was predictable. Women flocked to see a man choose to die for a strange woman so that they could fantasize about having their very own fool.

And the worst part is, women became excited over it knowing very well that it wasn't even real love. It was infatuation and lust. He died for her because he thought she was cute. And women loved that.

Like I said, it's pretty sick.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:23 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Me and my wife were watching Titanic the other day, for the 5th time. Sure, it's a good movie, it's watchable, well made, and quite interesting. I liked it the first time, then when I saw it again a few months later I still enjoyed it. It's come on tv a couple of times over the years and I don't mind watching it but I don't really pay as much attention to it as before. But it's a pleasant enough 3 hours so I don't mind sitting through it.
But my wife just loooooooooves that movie so much. She must have seen it at least 15 times. What is it about that movie that is so appealing to women?
I have no idea but I have never seen the movie Titanic and I really do not watch movies and definitely do not watch television. Over the years though most of our female family and friends watched Titanic one time and that was enough for them.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:27 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
I guess I must be one of the few women on the planet that hasn't seen it and has no desire to see it. OTOH, I've watched many of the Fast and Furious movies multiple times.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:32 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:

Aaaaaaaand the posting agenda is revealed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies