Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 09:39 AM

22,919 posts, read 28,268,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
It's elite culture. We common folk by & large abhor it It's cost people in many entertainment areas money & jobs, but virtue signaling & group-think are powerful motivators that often override common sense.
You're not wrong, but that's why I don't think it is career suicide in Hollywood. Toeing the PC-line seems to be the way to advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 10:54 AM

I haven't seen it yet and probably won't in the theater. I'll catch it on DVD.

But the common consensus I'm hearing from people I know and reading online is: TERMINATOR: DARK FATE is to the Terminator franchise what STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS was to the Star Wars franchise. They filed the serial numbers off the first movie, changed a few things, and made a blatant attempt to set up sequels. But it's basically the first movie all over again. It is a blatant cash grab.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:56 AM

Sequel seems very unlikely at this point:

https://variety.com/2019/film/box-of...op-1203391309/

Old 11-04-2019, 11:19 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Sequel seems very unlikely at this point:

https://variety.com/2019/film/box-of...op-1203391309/
I wonder what the sequel would be. Another T-800/Arnold but now he is the bad guy but super advanced and it is up to the human and a reprogram T-1000 to kill him. F off!

Old 11-04-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I wonder what the sequel would be. Another T-800/Arnold but now he is the bad guy but super advanced and it is up to the human and a reprogram T-1000 to kill him. F off!
No idea. But Cameron said they had three movies in mind, of which this was the first. Seems unlikely that will happen now.

When it comes to the Terminator franchise, for the past 16 years the approach from the studio seems to have been: We own the rights to this cash cow. Make more movies! They then hire mercenary writer / directors to come up with more product. That approach has obviously crashed. Again.

If that is the approach, let it die. Just go do other things. No more Terminator movies.

But if a passionate writer or director has an idea for a Terminator story ... I dunno. Maybe. But if you're going to do that, stay out of his or her way. Don't micro-manage. Stop trying to treat art solely as product.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
No idea. But Cameron said they had three movies in mind, of which this was the first. Seems unlikely that will happen now.

When it comes to the Terminator franchise, for the past 16 years the approach from the studio seems to have been: We own the rights to this cash cow. Make more movies! They then hire mercenary writer / directors to come up with more product. That approach has obviously crashed. Again.

If that is the approach, let it die. Just go do other things.

But if a passionate writer or director has an idea for a Terminator story ... I dunno. Maybe. But if you're going to do that, stay out of his or her way. Don't micro-manage. Stop trying to treat art solely as product.
I feel the Terminator franchise was done with T2. Similar to the Alien and Predator franchises.

Alien and Aliens = Done
Predator 1 and 2 = Done
T1 and T2 = Done

The above franchises failed after the last legit sequel since the studio was rehashing the same formula.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:31 AM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
I haven't seen it yet and probably won't in the theater. I'll catch it on DVD.

But the common consensus I'm hearing from people I know and reading online is: TERMINATOR: DARK FATE is to the Terminator franchise what STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS was to the Star Wars franchise. They filed the serial numbers off the first movie, changed a few things, and made a blatant attempt to set up sequels. But it's basically the first movie all over again. It is a blatant cash grab.

Not far off.. but they at least made a better attempt at disguising it with Terminator.

Quote:
There was a script or treatment or something back in the day that I read about that was a prequel where you'd see Arnold in it as one of the original programmers who was the basis for the T-800.

always kinda struck me as rehashing the Doctor/Lewis Zimmerman storyline from Star Trek Voyager.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Not far off.. but they at least made a better attempt at disguising it with Terminator.

There was a script or treatment or something back in the day that I read about that was a prequel where you'd see Arnold in it as one of the original programmers who was the basis for the T-800.

always kinda struck me as rehashing the Doctor/Lewis Zimmerman storyline from Star Trek Voyager.
Arnold as a programmer...

i was felt that there could have been a good story to tell about Skynet, creation of the T-800, judgement day, creation of the time machine, The original John Connor and the creation of the alternate John Connor by having Kyle Reese go back to the past.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I feel the Terminator franchise was done with T2. Similar to the Alien and Predator franchises.

Alien and Aliens = Done
Predator 1 and 2 = Done
T1 and T2 = Done

The above franchises failed after the last legit sequel since the studio was rehashing the same formula.
I agree on all counts --- except for Predator 2. Honestly, I've never been able to sit through the whole thing.

And I confess I actually really liked TV's SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES. Surprisingly good TV show, all things considered.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:10 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,980 times
I saw it on Saturday and theater was mostly empty for me as well, thought it was because of the area I was in plus late showing but I guess it's tanking at the box office.

I did not mind the movie. I don't know yet where I rank it. I have to re-watch 3, Salvation, and Genisys but I felt like 3 was pretty good and so was Salvation...

Things I didn't get:
- There was no explanation to Major Dean.
- I liked Dani until the future scene of her saving Grace. It just didn't seem believable at all, she didn't do anything meaningful in the scene, and based on their ages, it seemed like it was about to happen in the next year or so.
- How did Carl just live married to a woman without eating, using the restroom, or without any physical contact for 20 years? Since this isn't the same T800 from T2, did someone turn on his learning system? Did he somehow just learn from the internet that he has to leave the toilet seat up so she thinks he's normal functioning human being?

I also don't understand , why a film has to pull in 3 times the budget just to be profitable?

"Dark Fate” cost $185 million to produce. Variety reports the movie’s marketing and distribution budget was in the $80 million and $100 million range, which means the movie would have to gross in the $450 million range in order to turn a profit."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies