Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 12:13 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen this movie and while I might be disappointed of the spoiler, I think the common theme of "future imperfect" would have given it away far, far from earlier.

It is a quite common concept that may been used far too often for it to be enjoyed when it is encountered. They have used it in "The Rat Patrol", in Star Trek: TNG, in V, in The Six Million Dollar Man, and at least another movie which I won't name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 09:36 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,240,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
The age of the film has no bearing. SPOILING a movie before someone has seen it has the same result - the lessening of the viewing experience. Pretty simple. Not many people still around that have seen Citizen Kane when it came out. So that leaves those who have seen it, and those who have not, and those who have yet to see it. I steer them to it without SPOILING it for them and let them make their own decision. It's a courtesy. Which is a word that many today feel is old fashioned and outdated, but are mistaken and in error in their thinking.
I agree, and I've never understood the concept that just because a movie is older, it's okay to reveal spoilers. Like you pointed out, the outcome is the same. The movie is spoiled for some. The "SHOW/HIDE" option here on CD is a very handy-dandy feature and easy to use.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:41 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,240,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I respectfully decline. I'm not going to be guilt tripped over an obscure 50+ years old movie. Even if I had put the spoiler tag, I was asking for the name of the film which means that you'd see the information anyway.
Get over it.
Yeah, but then it's left to the reader to decide whether or not to spoil it for themselves.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:45 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,963 times
This also completely ignores the fact that people continue to have kids, and each generation has the chance to see an 'old' movie for the first time.

Don't spoil it for them. Especially since it's so easy to be considerate. Oh, and this is while you are asking for help from fellow movie lovers.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:21 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
The age of the film has no bearing. SPOILING a movie before someone has seen it has the same result - the lessening of the viewing experience. Pretty simple. Not many people still around that have seen Citizen Kane when it came out. So that leaves those who have seen it, and those who have not, and those who have yet to see it. I steer them to it without SPOILING it for them and let them make their own decision. It's a courtesy. Which is a word that many today feel is old fashioned and outdated, but are mistaken and in error in their thinking.
Hardly practical. You are asking people to never discuss movies in public for fear that someone out there hasn't seen it. I can see some merit if the film under discussion is some current release, but you cannot expect everyone to remain mute about a 50 year old movie. If you don't want the endings spoiled for you, then you probably should avoid places where public discussion is invited...like this forum.

And oh yeah.....turns out that Kevin Spacey's character was Kaiser Soze all along, Old Yeller has to be shot because of rabies, and Ben shows up at Elaine's wedding and they run off together.

Last edited by Grandstander; 05-31-2017 at 01:33 PM..

Old 05-31-2017, 01:24 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

And of yeah.....turns out that Kevin Spacey's character was Kaiser Soze all along, Old Yeller has to be shot because of rabies, and Ben shows up at Elaine's wedding and they run off together.
And Bruce Willis was dead the whole time...

Old 05-31-2017, 02:26 PM

919 posts, read 789,744 times
Quote:
then you probably should avoid places where public discussion is invited...like this forum
Um this forum and most like it, have spoiler bars that were created just for this purpose. And for years prior to their implementation a "spoiler alert" was the the accepted way to discuss certain plot details.

No, what this thread clearly demonstrates is that there is a group of people who were brought up with good manners and also some who weren't - who don't care. Of course this is a fact I already knew from meeting some of those in the second group in real life.

Dave

Old 05-31-2017, 02:39 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,143,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Hardly practical. You are asking people to never discuss movies in public for fear that someone out there hasn't seen it. I can see some merit if the film under discussion is some current release, but you cannot expect everyone to remain mute about a 50 year old movie. If you don't want the endings spoiled for you, then you probably should avoid places where public discussion is invited...like this forum.
There is no merit badge for only SPOILING older films, it's only inconsideration. Most people will post a SPOILER warning in the subject line, or use the SHOW | HIDE button in the edit bar far to the right of the B I and U. So your attempt at justifying it falls flat. And your attempt at humor shows your lack of respect to many who frequent the Movies board.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:42 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,143,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Spoiler
And Bruce Willis was dead the whole time
Spoiler
Actually, he is very much alive when the film starts and he's home with his wife after the award ceremony. You know, alive and kicking?

Old 05-31-2017, 02:42 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
Um this forum and most like it, have spoiler bars that were created just for this purpose. And for years prior to their implementation a "spoiler alert" was the the accepted way to discuss certain plot details.

No, what this thread clearly demonstrates is that there is a group of people who were brought up with good manners and also some who weren't - who don't care. Of course this is a fact I already knew from meeting some of those in the second group in real life.

Dave
Hell, as long as I am to be condemned as having been brought up without manners, then I may as well live up to this image and spoil every movie ending I can think of.

Only three POWs wind up getting away in "The Great Escape."

E.T. gets to go home at the end.

Luke blows up the Death Star with Hans' help....and oh, Darth Vader is Luke's dad and Lea is his sister.

Ali McGraw's character dies young at the end of "Love Story."

Rhett walks out on Scarlett at the end of "Gone With the Wind."

Dorothy was only dreaming in "The Wizard of Oz."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies