Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 05:13 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,104,856 times

Advertisements

In "Jaws", just as Quint, Hooper and Brody are about to get munched by the shark,
Spoiler
a time traveling Enterprise appears in the sky and beams the great white aboard to take it to the future where great whites have become extinct.

In "Dr. Strangelove", the doomsday device triggers a global nuclear holocaust,
Spoiler
but all the action heroes survive by outrunning the blast waves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 09:20 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,408 times
I stopped reading this thread because of the very real chance I might read something that I'd not yet known.

So let me remind/introduce those who enjoy inconveniencing or harming someone elses enjoyment.
From way back pre- Internet: Plonk

Old 06-01-2017, 09:55 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I agree, and I've never understood the concept that just because a movie is older, it's okay to reveal spoilers. Like you pointed out, the outcome is the same. The movie is spoiled for some. The "SHOW/HIDE" option here on CD is a very handy-dandy feature and easy to use.
I didn't find it easy to use but then I don't find posting pictures easy to do on CD either. I just put SPOILER in big capital letters and then go down a few lines.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:29 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,135,962 times
In this particular instance, the OP is not a SPOILER, but the correct answer to the question which film is this is. So for all intents and purposes, anyone who does not want to know could stop reading any and all of the replies. Sames goes for threads with film titles. Anyone who delves into it's contents should already know that there could be SPOILERS. I know this from listening, watching, and reading critics reviews, which are notorious for having SPOILERS, so I only read the first sentence or two, or avoid them all together, and read them after I've watched the film.

All of this does not preclude use of the SPOILER SHOW | HIDE tags, or just plain announcing that there be SPOILERS are ahead.

I got burned once while listening to the radio and Clint Eastwood's Million Dollar Baby was SPOILED, before I even had a chance to see it.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:40 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,140 times
The Los Angeles Times' Justin Chang has also been criticized for leaving spoilers in his film reviews.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The Los Angeles Times' Justin Chang has also been criticized for leaving spoilers in his film reviews.
Anyone who reads a review and has a movie spoiled, and keeps on reading reviews, is incapable of learning by trial and error. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Now trailers - so far I've not had a major gripe - and you're a captive audience, unless you time your arrival to more than 15 minutes after the scheduled show start time.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Anyone who reads a review and has a movie spoiled, and keeps on reading reviews, is incapable of learning by trial and error. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Now trailers - so far I've not had a major gripe - and you're a captive audience, unless you time your arrival to more than 15 minutes after the scheduled show start time.
Some think reviewers should not talk up spoilers in any capacity, and if they do, they draw ire for it. But, OTOH, a film review is ABOUT the film, so you can expect it to be discussed. (I'd argue the review should not spoil the ending, which is what Chang got called out for.) Myself, I never read reviews before I watch a film. I also avoid the last trailer because it usually shows more than we need to know (it's simply a final lure).

Old 06-02-2017, 09:45 AM

I watched Wonder Woman last night. Then I read Justin Chang's review in the Times. It was on point, for the most part (and he didn't drop any major spoilers).

Old 06-03-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Myself, I never read reviews before I watch a film...
Same here.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:25 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,365,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
And oh yeah.....turns out that Kevin Spacey's character was Kaiser Soze all along, Old Yeller has to be shot because of rabies, and Ben shows up at Elaine's wedding and they run off together.
OMG, Kaiser Soze? Old Yeller? Nooooooooo!!!!!!!

Who the hell are Ben and Elaine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies