Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 06:31 PM

6,755 posts, read 5,056,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riblue View Post
The original The Fly where a scientist uses a transporter but a fly is in the transformer and their genes get mixed and he has a fly head. And the end is horrifying, a fly with a human head screaming somebody help me as it is entangled in the spider's web and the spider is coming.

I saw that one on television when I was young, and it gave me nightmares for weeks. My parents did not let me ever watch that movie again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 11:55 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
The Exorcist. Nothing else even comes close. I saw it on it's original release in 1973. It was a horror film that came at you in waves.

The part where Regan tells the priest his mother is in 'here' with 'us'. Then she spoke in his mother's voice. The floating off the bed, with the camera above Regan, her face turning from side to side in pain. The Priest taking the demon into himself, and throwing himself out the window.

One lady pushed past me in the seats half way through the movie, and collapsed in the aisle. She was carried out to the foyer. As I left there was a line of people laid out in the foyer receiving help from trained people on hand.

I never saw anything like that before or since in a movie house.

Of course, nowadays the special effects in this film in some parts appear poor. But, the audience I sat with in 1973 was truly shocked and scared by this movie.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:13 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I saw it in 74 with a Catholic friend who explained some things that I would not have caught otherwise. Blatty, being Catholic himself, had included a number of beats that it takes a Catholic to notice. That put the plot in better perspective for me.

I can take most anything happening in a movie as long as the monster is indisputably killed in the end. If they don't kill the monster, it bugs me.
What were the things he explained to you?

Old 07-08-2017, 12:30 AM

797 posts, read 752,469 times
Idiocracy.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:32 AM

3,974 posts, read 5,167,066 times
Salem's Lot scared the bejeezus out of me when I was a kid. The Exorcist, Poltergeist and a movie called Magic. It starred Anthony Hopkins and a ventriloquist dummy with a mind of it's own.
To this day I hate ventriloquists because of this movie. There's a more recent movie called Dead Silence (2007) that also has possessed ventriloquist dummies. I could hardly watch that and I was 36 then! I guess what I'm saying is f$%& ventriloquist dummies. Pure wooden evil.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:24 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
28 Days Later scared me as a teen because it was so brutally real. As an even younger kid the Freddy movies freaked me out. Other ones that just left me feeling freaked out were Carrie, The Exorcist, and Fire in the Sky.

Movies were genuinely scary back then unlike today. I don't even get how teens get frightened watching horror movies today. All they have are a bunch of jump scares and bad CGI.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:41 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,042 times
These terrified me as a child. If you can overlook the ropy special effects and immerse yourself in the story they might scare you too ...
The Quatermass Xperiment, The Quatermass Xperiment (1955) - IMDb
Quatermass 2, Enemy from Space (1957) - IMDb
Quatermass and the Pit, Five Million Years to Earth (1967) - IMDb

Old 07-09-2017, 01:31 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The Shining was the scariest book I had ever read up to that point, and the movie was a huge disappointment.
Agreed.

Kubrick was a master of visual and sound to set a mood in a movie, and there is no doubt that many scenes in THE SHINING are quite disturbing. But Kubrick had no feel for character and humanity, so the characters in that movie are all really flat. Jack looks crazy in scene 1. He dies crazy in his last scene. In between he types. Wendy is shrill and annoying. The little boy seems genuinely disturbed. None of the characters had an arc at all.

Kubrick also couldn't quite bring himself to buy in to the supernatural, which is pivotal in the book. Other than *two scenes in the movie, you could chalk the whole thing up to cabin fever and all three family members losing their minds.

*1. Who let Jack out of the pantry?

*2. The photo.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:42 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
The 1963 original version of "The Haunting".

Only you MUST watch it alone. In the night. In the dark...
I just got through reading through this thread to see if anyone would mention this one. I was 15 when it came out and I have never been so scared in my life!

But here's something funny about the experience. When the movie came out, I asked one of my friends if she wanted to go to a "new horror show" with me. She did, so we went and did she ever hate it. Afterwards, she said, "You told me it was a horse show! I wouldn't have gone if I'd known what it really was!"

Last edited by Katzpur; 07-09-2017 at 02:45 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 01:47 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The Shining was the scariest book I had ever read up to that point, and the movie was a huge disappointment.
I agree about the movie. In the book, Jack Nicholson's character started out as basically a normal guy. It was the overlook hotel that more or less possessed him, and that's what made it so scary for me. When I saw the opening scene where Jack Nicholson was driving his son up to the hotel, he was already pretty crazy. I knew right then that the movie was not going to be anywhere near as good as the book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies