Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2019, 10:19 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Not just the internet. People I know, too.
I know a lady who hunts ghosts and Bigfeet. Or Bigfoots. Or whatever. She'll swear she's seen both. And she's not an addict and doesn't have mental issues. She just REALLY wants to believe.

"I know somebody who said..." is the definition of hearsay.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:47 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I know a lady who hunts ghosts and Bigfeet. Or Bigfoots. Or whatever. She'll swear she's seen both. And she's not an addict and doesn't have mental issues. She just REALLY wants to believe.

"I know somebody who said..." is the definition of hearsay.
ME: Dude, this friend hates everything WarnerDC puts out that isn't directed by Nolan, and he didn't like Rises, either.

MARK: His word is gold!

Old 08-08-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
ME: Dude, this friend hates everything WarnerDC puts out that isn't directed by Nolan, and he didn't like Rises, either.
What does that have to do with anything?

My Bigfoot/Ghost friend hates clowns.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:59 AM

Read the comments. Your insisting everyone is full of **** is on par with assuming Captain Marvel made 1B because it was a runaway hit.

"Alita was sold out; Captain Marvel was empty."

"This happened in Seattle as well. The Friday night showing for captain marvel was 'Sold out' but the theater was only 1/2 full."

"I haven't seen any sold out cinemas here in China, either. Alita sold out several when I was looking for seats, and good ones were hard to get."

"...exactly 25 no-shows for 12 shows is not statistically impossible, just highly improbable....we are talking lottery winning odds against that happening."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz_HbrQ9v2k

Old 08-08-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Read the comments. Your insisting everyone is full of **** is ...
... not what I'm saying at all.

I'm saying before I believe this (or anything), I'd like to see more evidence than hearsay and Internet videos.
Especially when it comes to a movie that had as much political controversy as Captain Marvel did. Especially when it would be so easy to prove. All those supposed "fake" tickets were bought with credit card numbers. Check them. If every single one of them belonged to out-of-town Disney employees, you might have a good case.

Really though: Why does it matter??? If you need proof that the House of Mouse is an evil, heartless corporation, there's lots better stuff than faking movie tickets. We can gather evidence that water is wet while we're at it.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
All those supposed "fake" tickets were bought with credit card numbers. Check them. If every single one of them belonged to out-of-town Disney employees, you might have a good case.
"Check the phone and 'Net receipts, Marge. Get your yellow Hi-liter and highlight every amount with 'Buena Vista' and/or 'out-of-town-Disney-employee' next to it. Then Xerox everything and fax it over to The Daily Bugle!"

That's not how it works.

Quote:
Really though: Why does it matter??? If you need proof that the House of Mouse is an evil, heartless corporation, there's lots better stuff than faking movie tickets. We can gather evidence that water is wet while we're at it.
You're right. Every studio should fudge their box office grosses. Let's raise the bar on peter-waving. Did you know Shazam! made 800 million? Well, it did. And as soon as someone hacks The-Numbers.com, that amount will reflect correctly.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
"Check the phone and 'Net receipts, Marge. Get your yellow Hi-liter and highlight every amount with 'Buena Vista' and/or 'out-of-town-Disney-employee' next to it. Then Xerox everything and fax it over to The Daily Bugle!"

That's not how it works.
That's how a real journalist would look into this.

Nah. "My friend said!" and "Youtube videos!" are all the proof we need.

Quote:
Let's raise the bar on peter-waving.

Quote:
Did you know Shazam! made 800 million?
No. Now that I do, I still don't care.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Nah. "My friend said!" and "Youtube videos!" are all the proof we need.
And then you realize those aren't shill-rag gumshoes, they're unbiased ticketholders who PAID to see the movie, went in, and reported what they saw:

UNoccupied seats that had been "purchased."

If this phenomenon has affected any other CBM, please let me know.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
And then you realize those aren't shill-rag gumshoes, they're unbiased ticketholders who PAID to see the movie, went in, and reported what they saw:
Are they? I remember all the controversy plaguing that movie weeks before it even opened. Social Justice Warrior accusations. It's too feminist. It's not feminist enough. Bree can't act. If you say Bree can't act you hate women. Etc., etc., etc.

Is it more likely that some people purchased tickets for a movie that they decided not to go to, then maybe a bunch of Internet Trolls decided to forge Conspiracy on which they could grind their own axe --- or get more views on their Youtube Channel?

Or is it more likely that Kevin Feige instigated a huge conspiracy to buy up thousands of theater seats? All without a single person blowing even a tiny whistle? So they could ... what? Have bragging rights? Really?

Which explanation is more plausible?

Quote:
If this phenomenon has affected any other CBM, please let me know.
I'm not convinced there is any phenomenon at all. I very well could be wrong. But until I see some actual evidence, I remain skeptical in the extreme.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Are they? I remember all the controversy plaguing that movie weeks before it even opened. Social Justice Warrior accusations. It's too feminist. It's not feminist enough. Bree can't act. If you say Bree can't act you hate women. Etc., etc., etc.
If you can suppose that led to lower presales than they anticipated, then maybe there's something fishy about all those "presales records" headlines for the movie, too.

Quote:
Is it more likely that some people purchased tickets for a movie that they decided not to go to,
They bought tickets for Alita and went into Captain Marvel? Then what's your explanation for Alita's unimpressive $85M domestic gross? It made the rest of its $400M outside the US. Captain Marvel's domestic take is five times that much.

Quote:
then maybe a bunch of Internet Trolls decided to forge Conspiracy on which they could grind their own axe --- or get more views on their Youtube Channel?
Then there would be literally hundreds more YouTube channels at a minimum. No, that's not it. Average Bobbi Sue Moviegoer doesn't host a livestream.

Quote:
Or is it more likely that Kevin Feige instigated a huge conspiracy to buy up thousands of theater seats? All without a single person blowing even a tiny whistle? So they could ... what? Have bragging rights? Really?
You're resisting, but it's a more viable theory. You really think there's no willy waving goin' on? Seriously? When WB announced BvS was releasing as same date as the placeholder for "Captain America 3," the response was "We don't have to move, we're Marvel." And then CM3 became Avengers 2.5 as a response to BvS (and that has indeed been verified by the writers themselves).

Feige and Johns are buddies, too. Johns co-plotted the initial two-part Justice League film with Zack, then turned out and said he hated the early cut. That was the first step toward it being condensed to one standard, run-of-the-mill punch-em-up. rc. The only DC movie Feige's ever said he was looking forward to was...Justice League. And look what happened to that movie. I'm sure Wonder Woman pissed him off because DC got a female-led CBM out first (even though Marvel was hesitant).

Start doing the math. "Marvel vs. DC" has fully leapt from the page to the screen. Disney's game plan is likely "a blockbuster every month." They want you giving them your money and to hell with everyone else. They've got remakes ad nauseum rolling out. Marvel. Fox. A PG-13 Deadpool sequel is planned ("a happy medium!"). There's no conspiracy. They just want to monopolize.

Quote:
Which explanation is more plausible?
Per the definition of plausible, the obvious one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.