Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 05:26 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

What I found hilarious during the first Top Gun's run in 1986 was how some Navy recruiters set up booths outside and inside theaters showing the movie.

Did anyone actually sign up, and did they actually think they'd be flying jets one day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 05:49 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What I found hilarious during the first Top Gun's run in 1986 was how some Navy recruiters set up booths outside and inside theaters showing the movie.

Did anyone actually sign up, and did they actually think they'd be flying jets one day?
Maybe someone has that number. It is sort of like asking how many American football players still went into the game knowing only a quarter of the team would ever touch the ball much less be the quarterback.

I have heard of military pilots who got the bug from an air show and seeing the Blue Angeles or Thunderbirds. I would guess any aviator born between around 1960 and 1975 is a candidate for Top Gun being their final push to try for a naval commission and his wings

Old 02-14-2020, 01:55 PM

1,348 posts, read 707,025 times
pass

Old 02-14-2020, 11:31 PM

11,443 posts, read 625,943 times
I think I will pass as well!!! (I didnt care really for the first one)

Old 04-10-2021, 12:41 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Just read this morning that Top Gun: Maverick's release is once again pushed back....this time to November 19th. Bummer, but I didn't figure on seeing it much before then anyway, since I don't see feeling comfortable in a theater environment even that soon. I figured I'd see it streaming or on Blu-Ray first, but this one really needs the big screen to do it justice.

I've still got a good feeling about it - and that feeling has been rare for me for most new movies for many years.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/t...-7-1234948146/

Old 04-11-2021, 09:10 PM

1,601 posts, read 867,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Just read this morning that Top Gun: Maverick's release is once again pushed back....this time to November 19th. Bummer, but I didn't figure on seeing it much before then anyway, since I don't see feeling comfortable in a theater environment even that soon. I figured I'd see it streaming or on Blu-Ray first, but this one really needs the big screen to do it justice.

I've still got a good feeling about it - and that feeling has been rare for me for most new movies for many years.

I held out some hope with the better than expected grosses of Godzilla Vs. King Kong and now that theatres are open in limited capacity on the coasts, that these release dates would hold. I felt like Top Gun 2 was the film that would make the summer for everyone, including the exhibitors. Guess Hollywood truly is intent on destroying the theatrical release model.

Old 04-12-2021, 05:21 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
The more I think about it, with our sociopolitical world being torn apart at the seems all around us, I wonder if there is a political component at the center of this decision....perhaps even for more editing of the film?

With what's going on today, I'd be more surprised if this ISN'T about ideological impurity as seen in the sick minds of those who control....well....everything today, especially Hollywood, than that it IS.

Old 04-12-2021, 01:15 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

I'm so sad!!!!

Old 04-14-2021, 07:41 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
I held out some hope with the better than expected grosses of Godzilla Vs. King Kong and now that theatres are open in limited capacity on the coasts, that these release dates would hold. I felt like Top Gun 2 was the film that would make the summer for everyone, including the exhibitors. Guess Hollywood truly is intent on destroying the theatrical release model.
I think that in this case Hollywood, maybe Tom Cruise is trying to hold the old model. The grosses may have been better for what would have been a mid ranked Godzilla versus Kong release but it seems the Top Gun producers are trying to hold out until they can get pre pandemic grosses. Theatres being opened with seats removed and audiences theoretically still in mask in major cities would not allow the blockbuster box office numbers.

Old 04-17-2021, 05:35 PM

18,120 posts, read 11,756,270 times
I enjoyed Top Gun (1986) the first time I saw it.

I think I would enjoy this sequel on the BIG screen in the living room.

Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies