Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 03:18 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Agreed. I enjoyed the first STAR TREK movie reboot. Did not like any of the sequels. It's time for STAR TREK movies to go to sleep for a while. Don't wake them up until someone has a fresh take.

What's so disappointing is the reboot successfully restarted a beloved franchise with a great cast. They literally could have taken them where no one has gone before. Instead, the mantra for the sequels seems to be: "To boldly go where we've already been, only with updated special effects."
Or how about CONTINUE THE STORY past the NG/DS9/Vgr time period? W TF is this obsession with the 2200s? Reboot AND new show...blecch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 05:31 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Or how about CONTINUE THE STORY past the NG/DS9/Vgr time period?
My problem with that would be that by the time Next Gen ended, Starfleet's technology had advanced so far that it was almost taking the fun out of the story. There was a techno-babble solution to every problem.

Try as I might, I never could get into DS9, and I hated Voyager.

I actually kind of liked Enterprise.

I'm hoping the new TV show will be good. If so, then just let that be Star Trek for a while. Leave the rest alone. If it turns out to be bad, then just let Star Trek go to sleep for a while until someone comes along with a fresh take.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:19 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,113 times
Napoleon dynamite
Transformers the last knight

Old 07-09-2017, 06:26 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It happened to me last night. I don't know why it took me so long to see it but I was pumped when Suicide Squad finally arrived vie Netflix. I think my wife kept burying it on our que..

I made popcorn, settled in for the action and waited for it. I remember the trailer looked really good with lots of action and fun characters which set the hook in me as a must see but then.

It seemed like a good 30 minutes just to introduce the characters and their little biopics that appeared on the screen didn't linger long enough to read them. The movie then proceeded to plod along to a predictable ending. It had some good parts but most of it fell flat.

What is it with the DC comics that give us so so characters. Batman seems to be the only one that is worth watching. Marvel seems to have the hits.

What have been your big dissapointments at the movies?
Yeah and that was the fun part! But I also liked the parts with The Joker.

The Place Beyond the Pines looked EXCELLENT to me and I thought it was awful.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:32 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
My problem with that would be that by the time Next Gen ended, Starfleet's technology had advanced so far that it was almost taking the fun out of the story. There was a techno-babble solution to every problem.

Try as I might, I never could get into DS9, and I hated Voyager.

I actually kind of liked Enterprise.

I'm hoping the new TV show will be good. If so, then just let that be Star Trek for a while. Leave the rest alone. If it turns out to be bad, then just let Star Trek go to sleep for a while until someone comes along with a fresh take.
Loved Voyager. It was probably my favorite of the subsequent series. I'm a Janeway fan. I could never get into DS9, either. I watched Next Gen faithfully and like Piccard, but I still rank Voyager above it. I thought Enterprise was great! Thoroughly enjoyed it, and it was great to see Scott Bakula in the captain's chair. I'm looking forward to the new series but have to figure out how to get it. CBS All Access? That's a paid subscription, I think. I'll have to look into it....

I liked Star Trek Beyond better than Into Darkness, and I really liked the character Jayla. I'm not sure how the production team plans to handle Anton Yelchin's death. Will they "kill off" Chekov or replace the actor? I could see reasons for either direction. If they don't replace the actor, I would enjoy seeing Jayla as a new member of the crew. She had good chemistry with the cast.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:57 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I never thought the tech took the fun out of the story.

I suspect the truth is that just like all of Hollywood, they've simply run out of story. Easier to reheat last night's meal than make the effort or take the risk of trying a new recipe.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:05 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,881,563 times
Guardians of the Galaxy. A bit to broad and campy for my taste.

Others mentioned, Robin Hood was a big disappointment. Stellar cast and potential great story, but boring.

The first Star Trek re-boot was awesome, fun, great cast and story. The sequels totally forgettable.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:37 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,226,594 times
It is interesting how many people mentioned the Star Trek franchise. I remember seeing the trailer for the latest and I wondered why everyone was running all the time from explosions galore.
The trailer pumped the movie up and then it was just OK.

The latest Alien movie also fell flat.
How about the much hyped Batman V Superman ?

Another for me would be the latest Mad Max Fury Road. When I saw the trailer for that my mouth actually fell open and I was blown away then when I finally saw the movie I thought it was a total mess but it grew on me. Since the first disappointing viewing I have probably seen it now 20 times and I think it is brilliant. I guess that one redeemed itself.

Movies that fall flat just goes to show that even with multi million dollar budgets an all star cast and the latest in special effects the movie can be a bust without the most basic of details the story writing.

What is funny is the studios will hype that they spent 100 million on special effects but they never mention what they pay the writers. The writers probably get a bit more then the Best Grip Boy seen in the credits.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:22 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
It took me a while to appreciate Mad Max FR too. I felt it looked too clean and was more reminiscent of a Gucci ad out in the desert with all the pretty people from Charlize to Max to the three models. For some reason they're sticking more models and pretty people in movies but I digress. But it was another of the many many movies people over hype when it first comes out.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:12 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,541 times
The Blair Witch Project. The marketing campaign was an awesome idea and it hooked me. Saw it opening day and wanted my money back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies